U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM

22 posts, read 105,199 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am single woman looking to move to either Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, Vero, or PSL?

My interests are:

1). beach
2). nice restaurants
3). live music
4). "safe" town
5). "networking" capabilities
6). Decent library
7). Bicycling
8). Metaphysical bookstores
9.). Reiki
10.). Drumming circles
11). Wave-Running
12). Motorcycle Riding

Do any of these towns fit the bill? If Not, do you have any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 PM

55 posts, read 209,763 times
definitely Vero. If you rent/but it is cheaper about 10min west of Vero (U.S. hwy 1) in the Sebastian area. Cocoa/Rockledge has become higher crime than before, dirty and , the beaches are horrendous for traffic now with no place to drive on them any longer.
Melbourne/Palm Bay (most awful traffic-they ruined a beautiful small town areas when built these 2 connecting cities up) and, has grown to almost major cities (still growing) with a lot of crime.
I have family in Vero and, they love it. I was raised in/around the space coast and, have lived in all 3. Try Viera for what you are looking for. It is a smaller newer city-connects to N.Melbourne. Has all you are looking for from your post.
Viera/Suntree is give or take 15-30 min drive to beaches depending on time of day and, route you take due to traffic)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM

22 posts, read 105,199 times
Thanks for giving me a heads-up on Melbourne - high Crime? WOW! Ok, good to know.

I heard electricity in Vero was Outrageous?? Is that true?

What is the real estate prices in Vero there to buy? & what is average rent?

U mentioned Sebastian??? & Viera??
How are those towns?

How is Indian River State College? I have 90 credits & would like to finish up Bachelors?
Are there any other schools around?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM

18 posts, read 60,387 times
Default High Crime?

It depends on what your notion of "high crime" is. It's easy to check the crime statistics for the areas you're interested in. I wouldn't really consider any of those places to fall in that category, although I do agree that the Cocoa Beach area is a hot mess. Merritt Island is better.

I would say Viera might be a good choice, also Vero Beach and Sebastian.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 AM

8 posts, read 46,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post
Thanks for giving me a heads-up on Melbourne - high Crime? WOW! Ok, good to know.

How are those towns?

How is Indian River State College? I have 90 credits & would like to finish up Bachelors?
FYI "Viera" is within Melbourne's city limits. Vero if you plan on dying soon. But if you have a few years left, Viera or surrounding beaches (Satellite Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour).

Old 02-01-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post

How are those towns?

You're very welcome!
IRSC is a well know nice college (also depends on what you will be taking) but, so is Brevard Community College (with campuses in several locations-Congrats on your credits!
I went to the B.C.C. campus in Palm Bay but, yrs ago). The campus in N. Melbourne near Viera is really nice with many concerts, etc at the King Center for Performing Arts there.(Rentals cheaper in this area,too)
Sebastian is nice and, my elec was no where near what it was in North Fla here in the Space coast area.
Univ of Central Fla (they are very well known) also has campuses ALL over here as do, several other ones in central Fla..
My daughter in law went to IRSC and, many others went to several other schools here that I know and, I really do not hear any bad things about any of them. My son went to B.C.C. in the N. Melbourne campus and, my daughter went to the one in Melbourne. All loved them however, Cocoa campus is the only one I have ever heard folks around here complain about how it is in a bad area now.
For great info you can always look up the newspaper at florida today dot com or the treasure coast (Sebastian/Vero area one) and they will give you tons of up to date by the minute breaking news etc for info. to include the difference in prices and all the info you would need to know is on the 1st one for the entire area. The rent around Viera is only a feew dollars more for what you get and, a lot more college students have moved to Viera because of the lower crime and new mall, centrally located as well.
You may want to get in touch with a real estate agent (I know several-before I went back in the military I had 4 of my own businesses) and, make certain if you rent/lease a home that it is NOT in foreclosure as that seems to be happening in many areas and, the tenant gets kicked out within a few days with no where or not enough money to rent/lease another place. You can get a very nice 3bd/2 bath apt/home/condo/townhouse/deplex for about $800- $1k in most all these areas-some being less. Elec runs the average on most months in this area of FLA about $100-$150 a mo-depending on how large, if cathedral windows, etc you have and, how hot/cold you like it in summer/winter months. Many apts/condos etc., offer free water, basic cable,AND, GREAT prices/incentives like 1ST Mo free rent, etc to move in.
Much luck to you on all!!

Last edited by southernflfolk; 02-01-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridercbr1000 View Post
FYI "Viera" is within Melbourne's city limits. Vero if you plan on dying soon. But if you have a few years left, Viera or surrounding beaches (Satellite Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour).
Lol...Vero always depends on what part you live in as well as Palm Bay and Melbourne for crime.
"Viera" is actually a fairly "new city" of it's own and, so is "Suntree". They both connect into Melbourne (south end) and Rockledge (which connects to Cocoa on North end).
The only one known as now a part of Mewbourne is "Eau Gallie" which used to be itself a city and, now is a part of Melbourne. Melbourne village is only 2 blocks long, being a small area in the West Melbourne area which West Melbourne is also it's very own city that my son was a police officer almost 8yrs there, the west melb area has had talks of changing it's name the past few yrs because of people mistaken it for Melbourne.. The beaches are well over rated for what is there and, only about 10-30 minutes to most of them from in towns.
@Jersey girl....you will find the space coast and most of treasure coast all connect from only within feet of each other as towns/cities.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,446,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridercbr1000 View Post
FYI Vero if you plan on dying soon.

Haha! Yes, Vero has an older population but it equates to less crime. They no longer have high electric rates. This was changed last year. It's hard to find something in Viera that doesn't have CDD fees.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM

181 posts, read 418,633 times
Just a brief note to JerseyGirl69......if your looking for good places to eat in Melbourne, lotsa luck! If your coming from Jersey and heading to Fl, it will be hard to find places that will compare to the quality your used to. Bread and Pizza is awful down there! And deli's... pretty much dont exist in Melbourne and Cocoa Beach. I havent found a good diner type place there either. I know theres lots of chain eateries, but good luck with that whole aspect.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 AM

Some of the best places are actually in the downtown heart of Melbourne, Viera at the new mall and, along hwy U.S.1 on the riverside as well as one awesome place is called "the bistro" in downtown Melbourne. If you go a little south on hwy 1 you will find in Sebastian "Captain Hirams" which is very well known and a huge crowd each night plus some of the best entertainment right on the water literally. A lot of places are owned and operated by folks that are from the New England area, Italy, etc..Beach sides are great,too just have to get out and, experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County