U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 12,562 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, Florida is humid. As some one who has lived in CA most of my life, I'm used to essentially no perceptible humidity, and I believe I would be miserable in central Florida. Recently I have been considering moving to Florida and specifically along the space coast. My thought is that if I'm within say 1/2 mile from the oceans edge, I will get the benefit of the ocean wind and this will essentially counteract the humidity.
For those of you that are residents, do you agree?

Also, I'm looking for near beach front properties where homes can be had with several acres, like Merritt island. I typically prefer the smaller towns with few people. The center east coast seems like a fit and should be the best for the winds, hence my fixation on the space coast. Is there perhaps a better east Florida coast option?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,676,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_123 View Post
Let's face it, Florida is humid. As some one who has lived in CA most of my life, I'm used to essentially no perceptible humidity, and I believe I would be miserable in central Florida. Recently I have been considering moving to Florida and specifically along the space coast. My thought is that if I'm within say 1/2 mile from the oceans edge, I will get the benefit of the ocean wind and this will essentially counteract the humidity.
For those of you that are residents, do you agree?

Also, I'm looking for near beach front properties where homes can be had with several acres, like Merritt island. I typically prefer the smaller towns with few people. The center east coast seems like a fit and should be the best for the winds, hence my fixation on the space coast. Is there perhaps a better east Florida coast option?
Beachside(anything over the causeway) might have a breeze most of the time, but it can be hot and humid right at water level during the summer a lot of days, too.
The only way to enjoy the beach then is in the water or wait till the evening to go..

As for acreage beachside, it is sold by the foot along A1A and not sure if there are 2 acre sights in abundance. A lot of people buy old 1950s homes and then build a new home on the site.
You might want to check out Melbourne Beach, Floridiana Beach and land North of Sebastian Inlet or down by Vero Beach beachside.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 12,562 times
The other issue that I would appreciate feedback on is the storm surge during hurricanes. The media always seems to exaggerate and show the worst of the worse. But the space coast, like most of Florida is very low lying and it would seem ripe for disaster. Yet, looking at the satellite imagery, there are homes built right up to the waters edge essentially for the entire length of the coast. One would expect that these homes would all be destroyed each season. Whats the real story?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM

629 posts, read 1,531,263 times
Re: the storm surge issue, the space coast side of Florida isn't as susceptible to storm surge as areas along the Gulf because the continental shelf drops off much closer to shore. Storm surge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (search for the word 'Gulf' in the article and you'll see the explanation for why). In fact most of the barrier islands (Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne Beach, etc.) are flood zone 'X' which is defined to be outside the 100-500 year floodplain. This means to inundate those areas it would take a one in 500 plus years flooding event to submerge the entire area. Now that's no guarantee that flooding event won't come next year, just that it's pretty unlikely in any given year.

Re: the humidity issue, the space coast is probably a little bit better than the middle of the state, and better than Miami with it's tropical humidity, but it's still going to feel oppressively humid for anyone who prefers dry weather or anyone not accustomed to it. If you haven't been to the area in July-September before you definitely should come down for a few days this next summer to get an idea what it's like before jumping in to buy a place.

Re: acreage within a half mile of the ocean, you'll have to ask a realtor on that one, those types of properties are way above my pay scale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County