U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM

142 posts, read 282,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Most of Palm Bay doesn't have deed restrictions or HOAs so it's not as manicured looking as other areas. I like that, other people don't. That's most likely the source of the bad reputation.

I don't know how I've managed to avoid the drugs and gangs while walking around my neighborhood at night, sleeping with a window open, or going to the grocery store after dark!

Glad I could help. Good luck with the move!
Thank you for your well wishes, jdoty.

Say......what do you know about a development known as Alamanda Key? other than it's located south of Eber, between Dairy Road and Stack Blvd.?
If you're not familiar with the development, then how's the area itself?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM

489 posts, read 730,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post

Say......what do you know about a development known as Alamanda Key? other than it's located south of Eber, between Dairy Road and Stack Blvd.?
Hello, just stopping in to reply to the Alamanda Key area. My sister lives in the Bayberry Estates next to Alamanda Key, and loves it. I have seen the developement of Alamanda Key and it looks like it will be a nice place for a 55+ age restricted living area. The neighbor hood is good, and the crime rate is lower in that area. You have Lake in the Woods, Cinnamon Cove, Bayberry Estates, and a Nursing/Retirement Home Facility that I cannot remember the name surround Alamanda Key. Shopping is very close by, actually within short walking distance from there.

Anyways, Susan Swanson is the one of the Alamanda Key Real Estate Agents. I hope this helps, and we wish you the best!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM

334 posts, read 1,029,581 times
Quote:

I have friends that used to live in the development just north of Alamanda Key, on the corner of Stack and Eber. I used to live at Harvard Apartments on Palm Bay Road just around the corner from there. It's a nice area IMO. Hammock Landing, a new shopping complex, is nearby, as are two Publix grocery stores and a Walmart. You'll be plenty close to shopping. Harris, the county's largest employer, is right down the road also. There's dozens of restaurants nearby, everything from major chains like Outback and Chili's to local places serving Cuban, Chinese, Mexican, BBQ, Jamaican, Italian, and any other cuisine you can think of.

As for crime, you won't have any issues. I've been to the Publix nearby on the corner of Babcock and Palm Bay Road many, many times at night and never had even the hint of a problem. There are a few income-capped apartment complexes along Palm Bay Road that make the paper every once in a while (usually for drug crime), but you'll find those scattered throughout all of Melbourne and that doesn't turn into other crime like house burglaries or robberies. This part of town has a significantly more diverse population than the north Melbourne area your friends live. That can turn off some people, but doesn't mean high crime by any means.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1 View Post
Hello, just stopping in to reply to the Alamanda Key area. My sister lives in the Bayberry Estates next to Alamanda Key, and loves it. I have seen the developement of Alamanda Key and it looks like it will be a nice place for a 55+ age restricted living area. The neighbor hood is good, and the crime rate is lower in that area. You have Lake in the Woods, Cinnamon Cove, Bayberry Estates, and a Nursing/Retirement Home Facility that I cannot remember the name surround Alamanda Key. Shopping is very close by, actually within short walking distance from there.

Anyways, Susan Swanson is the one of the Alamanda Key Real Estate Agents. I hope this helps, and we wish you the best!
I'm also starting to look at Westbrooke, Heritage Oaks, Park Hill, Fairmont, among a few others, in addition to the developments you mentioned.
Thank you for validating my instincts. I've always suspected that the "crime stories" about West Melbourne and Palm Bay were somewhat exaggerated.
Between the shopping available on W. New Haven Avenue, and the shopping available on Palm Bay Road, I'm sure my wife can stay busy while I sit home watching television.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
I have friends that used to live in the development just north of Alamanda Key, on the corner of Stack and Eber. I used to live at Harvard Apartments on Palm Bay Road just around the corner from there. It's a nice area IMO. Hammock Landing, a new shopping complex, is nearby, as are two Publix grocery stores and a Walmart. You'll be plenty close to shopping. Harris, the county's largest employer, is right down the road also. There's dozens of restaurants nearby, everything from major chains like Outback and Chili's to local places serving Cuban, Chinese, Mexican, BBQ, Jamaican, Italian, and any other cuisine you can think of.

As for crime, you won't have any issues. I've been to the Publix nearby on the corner of Babcock and Palm Bay Road many, many times at night and never had even the hint of a problem. There are a few income-capped apartment complexes along Palm Bay Road that make the paper every once in a while (usually for drug crime), but you'll find those scattered throughout all of Melbourne and that doesn't turn into other crime like house burglaries or robberies. This part of town has a significantly more diverse population than the north Melbourne area your friends live. That can turn off some people, but doesn't mean high crime by any means.
Good people come in all races and nationalities. So do bad people. This is the 21st century. It's about time we, as a society, stopped being so parochial and started accepting multiple cultures.
I spent part of my youth (many, many moons ago) in Rochester, NY.....so I know about diversity.

If you can sleep with your window open, then I shouldn't have anything to worry about re: the crime factor. Besides, I don't have anything anybody would want anyway.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
I'm also starting to look at Westbrooke, Heritage Oaks, Park Hill, Fairmont, among a few others, in addition to the developments you mentioned.
Thank you for validating my instincts. I've always suspected that the "crime stories" about West Melbourne and Palm Bay were somewhat exaggerated.
Between the shopping available on W. New Haven Avenue, and the shopping available on Palm Bay Road, I'm sure my wife can stay busy while I sit home watching television.
There is plenty of shopping in the area and Viera and Vero Beach are just short drives away for even more shopping ops. Love shopping when you can make it a lunch out with the girls thing too, so Viera and Vero Beach are great for that. Both shopping areas are right on I-95 but you can get to either without going on the interstate, too. Vero has an outlet mall and a regular mall that is pretty nice. One thing I always try to stress about living on the Spacecoast you are not limited to the boundaries of 1 town, you will live, work, and play in all the towns part of the time.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
There is plenty of shopping in the area and Viera and Vero Beach are just short drives away for even more shopping ops. Love shopping when you can make it a lunch out with the girls thing too, so Viera and Vero Beach are great for that. Both shopping areas are right on I-95 but you can get to either without going on the interstate, too. Vero has an outlet mall and a regular mall that is pretty nice. One thing I always try to stress about living on the Spacecoast you are not limited to the boundaries of 1 town, you will live, work, and play in all the towns part of the time.
My wife didn't get her driver's license until she was near 40 years of age. In 20 years, she has never set foot on a highway, expressway, parkway or any other road that has more than 2 lanes of traffic going in each direction, or a road without traffic lights and/or stop signs.
Wickham, New Haven, Palm Bay Road and a few other of the "major intersections" are about all that she can handle.
So, if there's going to be a day out with the girls, there's probably going to be at least one guy....ME....unless some kind soul would care to carry my cross and take her along as a noisy passenger.....LOL
Thank you for the helpful tips. Shopping is that woman's life. Fortunately, buying is not, or the only thing we could afford to live in would be a large Maytag box from a recently delivered kitchen appliance.
:-)

Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
As soon as I mentioned the shopping in Vero Beach to my wife, she asked "what about looking in Vero Beach for a house?"
So.....we're going down to 'visit' Melbourne and Vero Beach in mid-March.
I know a little something about the Melbourne area from our 2 previous trips (and with the help of the good people on this forum), and I've read in other threads that Vero Beach is also a fairly laid back, safe and serene community.
Anything else you might be able to add comparing Melbourne and Vero Beach?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM

334 posts, read 1,029,581 times
Quote:
As soon as I mentioned the shopping in Vero Beach to my wife, she asked "what about looking in Vero Beach for a house?"
I know a little something about the Melbourne area from our 2 previous trips (and with the help of the good people on this forum), and I've read in other threads that Vero Beach is also a fairly laid back, safe and serene community.
Vero is smaller, sleepier, and has a much larger number of retirees. They have the outlet malls, but there isn't as much shopping besides that. I suspect you'd find yourselves driving to Melbourne, Port St. Lucie, or even West Palm Beach for shopping if that's your wife's thing. Other than that, it's a very nice area. It's very safe and has more of a small-town feel than Melbourne.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Actually, if she doesn't drive highways, Vero Beach might be a better fit. More small town roads/streets than in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area where we have some 6 lane roads in town.

There is the outlet mall and Indian River Mall on the Rt. 60 exit. They have also been filling up the road with stores between the 2 malls. Seems like there is a target and a Walmart on that strip now. Also over on US1 there is a K-Mart and some other stores. Fort Pierce is just down the road and so is Sebastian with its Walmart. I don't know if she likes shopping antiques and thrift shops but there are good ones in the area, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County