U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Long Island
142 posts, read 282,666 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsre View Post
From the perspective of a 31 year old woman of Italian/Irish decent, who is married with 2 boys, NYer all the way!... I moved to Palm Bay from Queens, NY 6 months ago and it has been a wonderful transition! I had read all the negatives about the area, but decided to go for it, even though I was absolutly terrified. We purchased a home outright for 62K on 1/4 acre, built in 2001, concrete, 1400sf, 2car gar, screened in porch (excellent deal). If your planning on buying make sure you have reviewed Floridas homestead laws. Stay under that 1/2 acre if you want security!!

As for the area, I personally love it! There are good and bad people everywhere. Here there are more good than bad. Palm Bay has a wonderful mix of all nationalities. Like Ny just with alot less people, though its still hard to run into the same person twice. There is alot to do here especially if you like nature. They have babysitting nights monthly at the community centers for $6 per kid (wich is awsome). There is an abundance of sport programs and art programs for kids including theater. Jobs are not that difficult to come by unless your a serious druggie (which there atre quite a few here). The pay rate is a bit less, but more than enough to sustain a hosehold. You can rent nice 2 bedroom apartment for $400 per month! They aren't the nicesest of areas but nothing compared to a big city. Just alot of uneducated druggies.

The schools are scattered in terms of good and bad. But if you don't like the school closest to you, you can always send them somwhere ealse and there are plenty of good ones. Brevard county has school choice, you just have to do the leg work. In Plam Bay I don't think there truly is a bad neighborhood. Just some bad mix into every neighborhood, which is typical. I love NW Palm Bay, though there are good sections all over Palm Bay that would suit just about anyone. SW is more country (alot of fun rednecks), SE is much more quite than the N and has great access to Valkaria and Sebastian Inlet, NE has Turkey Creek Sanctuary, which I love, but is a bit more trashy than the NW because it's too close to bad areas of Melbourne. The NW, along Minton and Palm Bay road is a pretty busy area. West Melbourne is right there, which is a wonderful area!

As for the rest of Brevard, Mims and Titusville are more country (lots and lots of fun red necks), PSJ has some very nice areas for white people, heard there is alot of trash, don't know much more than that. Anything beachside is nice. Stay away from Cocoa and sections of Eau Galley. Melbourne has some really bad neighborhoods (stay away from University). The only part I like about Melbourne is near old town (W. Mel is much nicer) and Mel. beach is great! Grant and Valkaria are one in the same beautiful, diverse, but more rural.

I believe Palm Bay was the perfect choice for me. It's a town where you can have it all within 20 mins no matter where you located. It is the fastest growing city in Brevard for a reason! Hope this bit of info helps anyone trying to make the decision. It is specifically meant for any Nyers looking to make the plunge, you'll feel right at home, as there are plenty of us here. Don't be scared just do it!!! Brevard is a wonderful place! The locals that liked it when it was more country and the racists are the only ones that would post negative things! They want this beautiful place all to themselves.
My wife and I are relocating to Florida, and have narrowed down our choices to Melbourne, West Melbourne and Vero Beach. We both grew up in Queens, but moved to Long Island some 33 years ago.
We've been to Melbourne 3 times in the past year, and know of a few areas to avoid, but when you say to 'stay away from the university', which one or ones are you referring to? There are 10 colleges and/or universities with a presence in Melbourne.
On a much less serious note, I too am of Italian-Irish descent, and my wife is predominantly Irish. I hope to god that the racists aren't trying to keep Italian-Irish Americans out of Melbourne. Haven't heard anything like that since I last watched "Blazing Saddles"....lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
 
96 posts, read 180,370 times
Reputation: 74
She is referring to the area around FIT. It is a known drug/prostitution area. I don't know the street names but the southern border is US 1. I see the working girls nearly every time I drive through there. It's not a nice area but if you've lived in a metropolitian area before it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Long Island
142 posts, read 282,666 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommster View Post
She is referring to the area around FIT. It is a known drug/prostitution area. I don't know the street names but the southern border is US 1. I see the working girls nearly every time I drive through there. It's not a nice area but if you've lived in a metropolitian area before it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Regretably, at one time in our lives, my wife and I lived within a few miles of Hooker Headquarters, so we're pretty familiar with the 'ambiance'. Thank you for the clarification. We already knew to stay away from the area bordering US-1, from Viera Blvd. right down to Palm Bay Road.
Fortunately, none of the sub-dvisions we're considering are in those vicinities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM
 
12,022 posts, read 12,031,502 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
Regretably, at one time in our lives, my wife and I lived within a few miles of Hooker Headquarters, so we're pretty familiar with the 'ambiance'. Thank you for the clarification. We already knew to stay away from the area bordering US-1, from Viera Blvd. right down to Palm Bay Road.
Fortunately, none of the sub-dvisions we're considering are in those vicinities.
that's a rather large area to avoid. Does that mean that mainland intercoastal living is a bad idea, since you would be on the opposite side of US1?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Long Island
142 posts, read 282,666 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
that's a rather large area to avoid. Does that mean that mainland intercoastal living is a bad idea, since you would be on the opposite side of US1?
Even though we've been to Melbourne three times, we've never really explored anything east of US-1.....except for the beach. And as much as I love the beach, we're not going to live there....at least, not literally.
We're probably playing it too safe in order to ensure that we don't get stuck paying flood insurance.

Initially, we looked only North of Post Road and west of Wickham....but now we find ourselves looking as far south as Lake Washington Road, and we're starting to look east of Wickham....but not too far.

We're going down there again during the last week of March for yet another look. Maybe we'll spread our wings a little and see what's on the east side of US-1.

It can't hurt, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM
 
96 posts, read 180,370 times
Reputation: 74
Chopchop - We are renting on the river at the moment. I can look out the window and see dolphins every day. It seems like living along the river is hit or miss in my opinion. It one of the things that I don't like about Florida - you can have a million dollar home on the river right next to a mobile home. I think you can find great houses on the river, but they are mixed in with a hodge podge of everything. I personally am trying to find us a house where there are good schools and kids from families similar to ours. We could stay in our condo for awhile but the kids would go to a title one school in Palm Bay and that isn't an option for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Long Island
142 posts, read 282,666 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsre View Post
Michellis pizza on PB road is closest to NY pizza I have found. A bit too much garlic, but they use it to crisp the dow because it just doesn't bake up the same here. The browning of the garlic gives it that dirty ny taste. Love it!!
You said the magic word......PIZZA !!!
I'll be sure to "sample the product" while we're down there in late March......
.......and if I like it, I'll probably sample it again......and again......and again, etc.

In my youth, I challenged a 320 pound NYC police lieutenant to a pizza eating contest. Beat him, 19 slices to 13.
The contest cost me nothing, but it cost the louie about forty bucks and his dignity.
Losing to a 185 lb. college junior was tougher to swallow than the 13 slices.....lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
 
12,022 posts, read 12,031,502 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommster View Post
Chopchop - We are renting on the river at the moment. I can look out the window and see dolphins every day. It seems like living along the river is hit or miss in my opinion. It one of the things that I don't like about Florida - you can have a million dollar home on the river right next to a mobile home. I think you can find great houses on the river, but they are mixed in with a hodge podge of everything. I personally am trying to find us a house where there are good schools and kids from families similar to ours. We could stay in our condo for awhile but the kids would go to a title one school in Palm Bay and that isn't an option for us.
I hear it is better on the other side of the intercoastal (peninsula side) in areas like Indiatlantic and Melbourne Beach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
 
96 posts, read 180,370 times
Reputation: 74
I don't think you can go wrong with anything on beachside. I'm trying to get my husband to focus on that area but he has specifics that he wants in a house and we're having trouble finding what we want in our price range. I'm open to an older home that has been restored but he wants basicallly new with a lot of square footage but not the pricetag of beachside. We've found a good one in Suntree and are looking mainly in that area now. Good luck finding the right place for your family. It's such a big decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
 
12,022 posts, read 12,031,502 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommster View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with anything on beachside. I'm trying to get my husband to focus on that area but he has specifics that he wants in a house and we're having trouble finding what we want in our price range. I'm open to an older home that has been restored but he wants basicallly new with a lot of square footage but not the pricetag of beachside. We've found a good one in Suntree and are looking mainly in that area now. Good luck finding the right place for your family. It's such a big decision.
Thanks. So you will be moving from the intercoastal then? The areas around downtown melbourne and eau gallie (art district) look nice and quaint. Are there livable houses around there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top