U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
 
3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Reputation: 3433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
Funny that someone asked about the area since some of the posts from 2011, I happen to be one of those 2011 posts and am now seriously looking at moving from the crazy, hectic, rude South Florida area to the more laid back and hopefully still slower paced Melbourne area. Glad to see you are still posting Rabflmom and glad to hear of the positives you mentioned above.

I did post on the Brevard board asking about the Rockledge area. If you don't mind me asking, what area do you live in? I am really leaning towards the western areas (as I really don't want to have to worry about evacuating for a hurricane) although I am not all that familiar with the evacuation zones up there but do realize there is more water than just the ocean. -so could be possible even some of the western areas are in evacuation zones depending on the category of the hurricane. Regardless of that...

We are headed to the area next week to look at houses with the same realtor we met back in 2008. We haven't been to the area in almost 3 yrs so I'm sure there are a lot more built up areas. Hoping we still get that same inviting feeling we have gotten the many times we have visited and we can't wait to have dinner at Grille's LOL!!!
We live in South Brevard, West of I-95. This is the farthest West I have ever lived in Florida(about 10 miles inland) and I have to admit it was partly because of the hurricanes that we decided to move farther away from the river. I miss it though and sort of regret that I let the damage from 2004 get to me.

Mandatory evacuation is usually just the island. But even then they do not force you to leave, they just take your name and the name of the next of kin to contact if need be. Of course people in mobile homes and low lying areas are urged to seek shelter elsewhere instead of hunkering down. The mainland North of Melbourne all the way to Titusville doesn't get the flooding or as much damage as South Brevard usually does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM
 
38 posts, read 92,569 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
We live in South Brevard, West of I-95. This is the farthest West I have ever lived in Florida(about 10 miles inland) and I have to admit it was partly because of the hurricanes that we decided to move farther away from the river. I miss it though and sort of regret that I let the damage from 2004 get to me.

Mandatory evacuation is usually just the island. But even then they do not force you to leave, they just take your name and the name of the next of kin to contact if need be. Of course people in mobile homes and low lying areas are urged to seek shelter elsewhere instead of hunkering down. The mainland North of Melbourne all the way to Titusville doesn't get the flooding or as much damage as South Brevard usually does.
So you must live in West Melbourne or Palm Bay? We just did some house hunting last week in Rockledge/Viera/Suntree. I think that's the area we are going to end up in as we did like a few homes up there. You probably have more land though where you are way out in the boonies LOL (here it would be the everglades:-)? Were you flooded out in your previous residence? How far were you from the river?

I understand your feelings regarding the 2004 hurricanes (what a busy season that was!!), they even did a lot of rough damage down here in South Florida, everyone with a composite roof had to have theirs replaced even this far south. And then the following year after Wilma hit here all of the tile roofs ended up tarped (like ours)...so I wouldn't mind going back to a shingle roof just because they are so much cheaper to replace.

I was also floored regarding the difference in the homeowners insurance cost up there from down here, it is almost 4x more here!!

Currently cleaning out the house and hoping to have it on the market within the next month. Plan to move up there hopefully in the early part of the summer. After 10 years, finally!! So ready to flee South Florida, yesterday not soon enough!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 PM
 
3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
So you must live in West Melbourne or Palm Bay? We just did some house hunting last week in Rockledge/Viera/Suntree. I think that's the area we are going to end up in as we did like a few homes up there. You probably have more land though where you are way out in the boonies LOL (here it would be the everglades:-)? Were you flooded out in your previous residence? How far were you from the river?

I understand your feelings regarding the 2004 hurricanes (what a busy season that was!!), they even did a lot of rough damage down here in South Florida, everyone with a composite roof had to have theirs replaced even this far south. And then the following year after Wilma hit here all of the tile roofs ended up tarped (like ours)...so I wouldn't mind going back to a shingle roof just because they are so much cheaper to replace.

I was also floored regarding the difference in the homeowners insurance cost up there from down here, it is almost 4x more here!!

Currently cleaning out the house and hoping to have it on the market within the next month. Plan to move up there hopefully in the early part of the summer. After 10 years, finally!! So ready to flee South Florida, yesterday not soon enough!!
We aren't in the boonies, we are pretty close to the center of town, actually. We have just a little less than 1/2 acre lot with a smaller house here because we downsized some. I-95 runs West of West Melbourne and Melbourne and right through town in PalmBay. It is closer to the river in South Brevard and swings out to the west after you hit the first exit in Palm Bay from the south. For Example, Minto Rd goes from Palm Bay up to West melbourne. In Palm Bay it is about 2 1/2 miles west of 95; but it is about 2 miles East of 95 in West Melbourne.

With Wilma we were getting a lot of people from down south just coming up this way to buy gas for their cars and generators because of the long lines down there. You learn a lot during a bad hurricane year about your family and friends. Just hope all our insurances are solvent as we head into another season.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM
 
38 posts, read 92,569 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
We aren't in the boonies, we are pretty close to the center of town, actually. We have just a little less than 1/2 acre lot with a smaller house here because we downsized some. I-95 runs West of West Melbourne and Melbourne and right through town in PalmBay. It is closer to the river in South Brevard and swings out to the west after you hit the first exit in Palm Bay from the south. For Example, Minto Rd goes from Palm Bay up to West melbourne. In Palm Bay it is about 2 1/2 miles west of 95; but it is about 2 miles East of 95 in West Melbourne.

With Wilma we were getting a lot of people from down south just coming up this way to buy gas for their cars and generators because of the long lines down there. You learn a lot during a bad hurricane year about your family and friends. Just hope all our insurances are solvent as we head into another season.
1/2 acre is actually a nice amount of property, even with a smaller house, I would love that! We are putting our house on the market down here in South FL in a few weeks and hope to sell it by summer and purchase there before school starts. My daughter has 2 more years of high school and then plans to go to UCF probably starting out at East FL State/UCF Satellite campus.

We are still looking in the northern end of town (Rockledge/Suntree area) although I know we won't find the nice size lot you have unless we buy in a much older section OR find some big bucks & buy one of those houses on Oak Park Drive in Suntree...LOL!! But I can't believe we are finally doing this after all these years of wanting to get up there! ...let's definitely wish for a quiet hurricane season!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 PM
 
36 posts, read 51,706 times
Reputation: 19
This question is for anyone who has knowledge of the Palm Bay/Melbourne or related areas.

I'm looking to move from Miami (native; lived here my entire life). I've experienced Gainesville, so know what to expect from a smaller city. I'm looking for city amenities, but a slower pace and environment. At least, a nice medium level. Miami is too rude and hectic. Palm Bay, from what I've been reading online from a few sources, seems a possibility. Job market seems to sound decent. I'm not specific when it comes to an industry; my degree offers a few options. The area seems nice as well.

-How's the job market for a young professional? (Again, no specific industry required. Just want to know if there's certain companies that are HQ there, if jobs are plentiful and steady, not including retail/service like jobs.)

-Traffic?

-Amenities/Nightlife/Entertainment? (I like Whole Foods, but know the area doesn't have)

-Cost of Living? Interested in 3 bedroom/2 bath home.

I appreciate any info at all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2015, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Long Island
980 posts, read 976,025 times
Reputation: 824
For the job market, I recommend registering on Glassdoor.com. They show reviews of actual employees at specific jobs and you can set up a search for positions available in your field of expertise. It will at least give you an idea of what is available in a specific area like Brevard County.
For the rest of the area, I always recommend making the trip in person and ride around as much as possible at different times of the week and day/night. Take a week if possible and target the areas of interest. Check schools (if that is important to you), visit the streets you plan to live near, the stores, the traffic (week days and nights as well as weekends). Talk to neighbors in those areas (my favorite thing to do for the real scoop) and look at the way the houses and yards are kept. You will learn more that way than just asking for opinions that may only get a few, possibly jaded experiences.
Then consider renting for a year to be sure the area is where you want to be. The market is steadily rising so don't be surprised if housing is more now than originally planned for (likely not a concern if coming from a more congested area like Miami).
Finally be sure to have fun with it. Moving is stressful enough. Planning should be the fun part.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 AM
 
3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
For the job market, I recommend registering on Glassdoor.com. They show reviews of actual employees at specific jobs and you can set up a search for positions available in your field of expertise. It will at least give you an idea of what is available in a specific area like Brevard County.
For the rest of the area, I always recommend making the trip in person and ride around as much as possible at different times of the week and day/night. Take a week if possible and target the areas of interest. Check schools (if that is important to you), visit the streets you plan to live near, the stores, the traffic (week days and nights as well as weekends). Talk to neighbors in those areas (my favorite thing to do for the real scoop) and look at the way the houses and yards are kept. You will learn more that way than just asking for opinions that may only get a few, possibly jaded experiences.
Then consider renting for a year to be sure the area is where you want to be. The market is steadily rising so don't be surprised if housing is more now than originally planned for (likely not a concern if coming from a more congested area like Miami).
Finally be sure to have fun with it. Moving is stressful enough. Planning should be the fun part.
Housing is definitely going up. On the way to work I see a builder's sign from a subdivision that quit building during the rough times. About 2 years ago they started building again. The sign said Houses starting at $150,000. It has changed several times and this week I noticed it said starting at $250,000.
Not that Zillow or Trulia have accurate estimates on house worth, but the house we bought in 2010 has gone up about $50,000 in their estmate, so the low prices are starting to go away. Still low but recovering from the $80,000 that $240,000 homes built in 2006 were going for in 2010.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Florida
2 posts, read 2,796 times
Reputation: 10
Default Welcome to West Melbourne and Sheridan Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
We just moved to sheridan lakes in west melbourne. We are laid back- easygoing family. Wanted a good safe community with good schools and I feel we hit the jackpot! Viera/suntree was a good contender but west mel was a better fit. M.ore house for less Love it! Its quiet and safe for young kids. Love the schools-meadowlane pri and inter. Any info. On the surrounding subdivisions? And good local shops restaurants worth trying out?
Hi Neighbor,

I am the guy with the uncut lawn at 1723

But for restaurant here is my experiences:
Thai Kitchen - Good Price Good Food, strong flavor, Thai Chef
Asian Gourmet - Good Price- mellowed flavor for american, Viet chef
Bonzai - in square with publix at lake washington / wickham
Pho Cali - Good Price - I dislike their cooking, but you can give it a try
Taste of India - Good price - Greatest Indian food here
DAO Buffet - Palm Bay / Malabar / I95 - Low price - Great food. (same owner as the chinese buffet next to goodwill on wickham)

Wabisabi - Courtney dr north of 520, merrit island. Vietnamese food / sushi Good price, Great food

Charthouse - Expensive Price - Expensive Taste
Siam Orchid - Good price - good food
Cheddar - Good price - good food - good looking waiters and waitress

I have been thinking of making a welcome sheet for melbourne. Maybe we can work together where you do the work and I toss out the info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Florida
2 posts, read 2,796 times
Reputation: 10
Default Job Market Palm Bay/Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile67 View Post
This question is for anyone who has knowledge of the Palm Bay/Melbourne or related areas.

I'm looking to move from Miami (native; lived here my entire life). I've experienced Gainesville, so know what to expect from a smaller city. I'm looking for city amenities, but a slower pace and environment. At least, a nice medium level. Miami is too rude and hectic. Palm Bay, from what I've been reading online from a few sources, seems a possibility. Job market seems to sound decent. I'm not specific when it comes to an industry; my degree offers a few options. The area seems nice as well.






I appreciate any info at all!
-How's the job market for a young professional? (Again, no specific industry required. Just want to know if there's certain companies that are HQ there, if jobs are plentiful and steady, not including retail/service like jobs.)
11 years professional with no Bachelor, IT/Engineering/Electronic Tech Not even an interview. I did find many new engineer from other states coming in the area along with their contracts. (Lockeed, Northrup, Harris, SpaceX, Embraer,
Piper is is down by Vero Beach, which is still doable.

-Traffic?
192 from I95-the ocean is too crowded for me. I use it morning and evening, and I see that it will be like the street of downtown LA soon. Too many people on 4 lanes at 45mph, with too many traffic lights.

-Amenities/Nightlife/Entertainment? (I like Whole Foods, but know the area doesn't have)
Forget the night life term; you have the downtown melbourn, and downtown eau gallie. Some bar hopping etc. The population are also shifting in terms of culture, so whatever was here will be changing now. I see more out of state, retired exec, artist, lots of mix coming into this area.

-Cost of Living? Interested in 3 bedroom/2 bath home.
1,000-1,200 house 3b/2bath MLS.com
2bed/1bath apartment 800-900
Mortgage PITI for 3/2b will probably be around 1,200 as well
$10plate of food,
grocery just got cheaper with the Jason Produce that opened on 192, near intersection with wickham.Chinese owned.
Aldi
Walmart
Publix
Downtown Produce has cheap lunch under 10dollars large portion, good flavors
Car services $30/oil change, $90 at the german shop. for the same 4runner :P

facebook swap/swep group has many second hand furniture, and household stuff
192 has all the furniture stores
Handy man everywhere, but 90% arent quality type (like dumping toxin on the yard killing grass, breaking your house moving appliances). I found this guy Sammy the Handy man, he's the type to measure twice and shoot once.
Manicure $12, Pedicure $22, Hair cut $5 at the mall, $7-10 outside the mall, $25 at hair salon
Super Flea market has 3 chinese dollar stores, they have everything. It is kinda amazing to see what they can do, many other budget vendors, many garage sale type vendors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:39 PM
 
36 posts, read 51,706 times
Reputation: 19
Thank you for the great response!! And to every one else. Good info.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vnphamkt View Post
-How's the job market for a young professional? (Again, no specific industry required. Just want to know if there's certain companies that are HQ there, if jobs are plentiful and steady, not including retail/service like jobs.)
11 years professional with no Bachelor, IT/Engineering/Electronic Tech Not even an interview. I did find many new engineer from other states coming in the area along with their contracts. (Lockeed, Northrup, Harris, SpaceX, Embraer,
Piper is is down by Vero Beach, which is still doable.

-Traffic?
192 from I95-the ocean is too crowded for me. I use it morning and evening, and I see that it will be like the street of downtown LA soon. Too many people on 4 lanes at 45mph, with too many traffic lights.

-Amenities/Nightlife/Entertainment? (I like Whole Foods, but know the area doesn't have)
Forget the night life term; you have the downtown melbourn, and downtown eau gallie. Some bar hopping etc. The population are also shifting in terms of culture, so whatever was here will be changing now. I see more out of state, retired exec, artist, lots of mix coming into this area.

-Cost of Living? Interested in 3 bedroom/2 bath home.
1,000-1,200 house 3b/2bath MLS.com
2bed/1bath apartment 800-900
Mortgage PITI for 3/2b will probably be around 1,200 as well
$10plate of food,
grocery just got cheaper with the Jason Produce that opened on 192, near intersection with wickham.Chinese owned.
Aldi
Walmart
Publix
Downtown Produce has cheap lunch under 10dollars large portion, good flavors
Car services $30/oil change, $90 at the german shop. for the same 4runner :P

facebook swap/swep group has many second hand furniture, and household stuff
192 has all the furniture stores
Handy man everywhere, but 90% arent quality type (like dumping toxin on the yard killing grass, breaking your house moving appliances). I found this guy Sammy the Handy man, he's the type to measure twice and shoot once.
Manicure $12, Pedicure $22, Hair cut $5 at the mall, $7-10 outside the mall, $25 at hair salon
Super Flea market has 3 chinese dollar stores, they have everything. It is kinda amazing to see what they can do, many other budget vendors, many garage sale type vendors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top