U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 PM

38 posts, read 92,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
I hope you enjoy Southern Fl. We lived in Pembroke Pines for a year and worked in Miami.

It was an experience - but one I wouldn't care to repeat.

I'm moving to Viera and I intend to enjoy living there. (Hopefully rather more than I enjoyed living in Pembroke pines. Crowded suburbia with impressive traffic jams.)

I sail, I fish and I swim. - Those are some of the things I will do in Viera.
I hike in the mountains and I ride a motorcycle. So I'll spend a large part of the summer at my other home in the Alps.
SEE, I'm glad I'm not the only Broward resident who wants to escape from this county of chaos and rudeness LOL to Viera!! Call it "simple-minded"...wouldn't that be a nice "state of mind" for a change instead of "state of stress and frustration!"...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM

38 posts, read 92,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
South fl will be better, people aren't shallow enough to go out of their way to deliberately offend someone, at least its a lot more comfortable for me there than a community that is non inclusive and judgmental of someone like myself for no reason. I speak for a lot of people out there except others are so preoccupied with their lives and I enjoy analyzing things of this nature. Melbourne is ridiculous to me, enjoy your paradise people and keep up with your narrow minded community.
What makes you think people in South Florida are not judgmental and shallow? I hope you've stayed here a lot and found you're little clique because most people around here are the most offensive, rudest people in the country. If you think it's paradise in South Florida, you're in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by jwfla422; 04-19-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 31,480 times
Default All of the Above

I have to agree with all of the above. Yes Melbourne or so-called "Mel-boring" maybe be a bit slower paced than the rest of the world, but sometimes that's what people need and want. What's nice about living here is anytime your little heart desires you can jump into the metro scene and stay for as long as you need/want. More often than not...I believe most Brevard locals would agree, 2-3 days is plenty time away from the comfort and serenity of the Space Coast. I have also lived the fast paced city lifestyle and I'll take the daily peace and quiet any day over traffic, crime and chaos. I'll admit sometimes you do get a little stir crazy here as I've tried to move away twice. However, the beauty of the rivers, beaches, casual lifestyle and so much more has brought me back to this sleepy and not so little town.

And btw...most people I talk to from South Florida can't wait to move this way.

I have spent more than 20 years here after growing up in S. Florida, so I can tell you all about it. Just contact me if you wanna chat.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: Valdosta, GA (Northside), grew up in Emmitsburg, MD
94 posts, read 318,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunch14 View Post
CFO,

While I was a bit condescending in my post (intentionally), I simply want you to understand that prejudice doesn't only happen to you. Where I live, I would say I am hated just as much as you, and you feel it daily. Does it bother me sometimes? Of course, but I have so many great things in my life, that I really can't be bothered by something so trivial as what someone I don't even know thinks!! The only people who I care about their opinions are my family and friends. Try it this way, and enjoy the things you have in your life, don't worry about what others think. Try as you might, you won't change the minds of the ignorant, so just turn the other cheek and understand that you have a better understanding of the world than they do. Good luck in S. Fla.
I could not have said it more better myself. I believe that the three of us are in the same boat. Hey, jbunch, what you just said, is very close to my own recipe for living. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,004 times
Default Moving to Melbourne

So, I realize that this question may have been posted previously. However, I will be moving to Melbourne in the next year after graduating with my business degee and finishing six years in the Air Force. I would like to know how the current job market is in Melbourne, Fl. I would like for local people from the Melbourne area to tell me their honest opinion.
Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM

14 posts, read 31,480 times
Depending on what industry you're looking into...Melbourne is full of tech/aerospace/defense work from Harris to Northrop Grumman, DRS Tech and Lockheed Martin. Of course with PAFB we have quite a bit of Military as well. Our Medical industry is growing as new hospitals are opening and the area continues to expand. Since this area is growing, many Entrepreneurs are taking advantage of business opportunities from new restaurants, retail shops and car dealerships. Viera is the newest area in Brevard County with a huge plan for expansion. There will be an abundance of commercial development as will residential.
WELCOME TO BREVARD COUNTY! You'll love it.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Location: Valdosta, GA (Northside), grew up in Emmitsburg, MD
94 posts, read 318,975 times
Default pill mills

How many pill mills does Melbourne have?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 21,916 times
Thumbs up Thank you so much for your post!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
Above poster, we (my young family of 3) have been here since September 2009.

It is cheaper for us to live here then it was in NW Indiana. We have well water, so there is no water bill. We have electric only, so no paying for propane. We rarely used the heat this past winter, even though everyone else acted like it was an artic climate. We spend no more than $100 a month on electric for an 1800 sq ft house, with the ceiling fans on all day and the thermostat at 75 if it's 80 and humid outside. Most of the time we just leave the windows open if we can. We don't have a pool. It's $950 per month for a nearly new house. The neighborhoods in Palm Bay are not very pretty as far as landscaping and have small yards, but they aren't gated either, so it's give and take.

I use coupons as much as possible, and shop for groceries at walmart and Aldis. I take advantage of CVS extra care bucks for most everything else. We live in NE Palm Bay, within easy reach of Kohls, Petco, Walmart, Aldis, and multiple other stores.

We don't pay for cable or the newspaper. We commute 20 mins to work everyday, and between our two cars, we pay about $150 every two weeks for gas. We love to go eat at places on the water, 1 or 2 times a week at the most. There are some lovely places to eat all over the county. I recommend The Shack, Jack Bakers, the Sunset Cafe, and the Atlantic Bar and Grill at the Pier.

We have not run out of activities to do as a family. We go to the beach, the Turkey Creek Sanctuary, the dinosaur museum, Cocoa Village for antique shopping, the local parks, the libraries, and the movies.

None of the places we have been are run down or scary, or we wouldn't go. There are areas closer to the river that are dicey, especially along US 1 regarding drug activity and prostitutes. I'm not afraid to go out at night in Palm Bay. But I'm always aware of my surroundings, and don't hang out with that population. I have not witnessed or been personally told about any major crime.

I can't tell you anything about nightlife, I am well past that stage, but I can tell you that I'm never bored or in risky situations.

Overall I love living here. I don't want to ever move. I hope this was somewhat helpful.
I was reading through this thread looking for actual info instead of hissy fits and you nailed it!! Thanks so very much!! We will be moving to Palm Bay this summer (my hubby works in Melbourne) and I was looking for someone, with kids, who had a personal experience with Palm Bay and could give me some postives about it...you did all of that! Thanks again!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM

263 posts, read 801,313 times
not a problem

Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 AM

717 posts, read 1,074,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
yea it is bad, ive lived all across the us and overseas growing up when i was younger. i have been in melbourne though for about 10 yrs now.

just take a trip to orlando for the weekend, or even a day. hang around the ucf area/campus or even just the waterford lakes shopping plaza. you will see an incredible change in the attitudes of people and might even feel a bit inspired to do something in life.

75% of people in melbourne, all they are doing is trying to survive. visit any metro area and you will see that people are actually living. yes people in melbourne are for the most part very conservative. that is a result of several factors including the type of employment in the area and the demographics. the model citizen in this area will have a position with a company like harris, drs, intersil, or any one of those governmental type positions. their lives are all standardized.

on the other hand, you live in an area that is more diverse like orlando (which is still not the greatest), you will find bankers, entrepreneurs, engineers, doctors, lawyers all who have a life.

there is nothing to do in melbourne! its such a small "cozy" town and i admit its good to come back to sometimes, but this is absolutely not a place to settle in my opinion when there is so much more out there. it just doesn't make sense for someone to CHOOSE to live here.

Well one reason to live there is that it's one of the few decent sized places in Florida that doesn't have much violent crime am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County