Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM

10 posts, read 125,803 times

Advertisements

I've lived in this area my entire life, born and raised in Brevard County so any visitors needing help or wanting advice on a location feel free to private message me and I'll give you a full review of the street your moving to and the surrounding areas , I know this area like the back of my hand due to me spending all nineteen years of my life here. Don't listen to any senior citizen posters that just moved here three years ago for retirement, listen to me! I'm here to help you.

First let me give you some information on myself:
I've lived in both Palm Bay and West Melbourne in about six different locations total, I'm a white male, community college student, handsome individual now currently living in an upper middle class community in West Melbourne.

Now let me give you some basic information on each city:

Viera
I'll start with Viera because it's probably the easiest to review. If you want an upper middle to upper class town, with good schools, squeaky clean crime rate and probably the best area to raise a family this is the town for you. I would almost go to the lengths of saying that the majority of the people living here are a bit conceited. A very nice new outdoor mall just recently opened it's doors about a year ago. Anywhere West and North (in the picture provided) from Wickham Rd is Viera and the description above.

Rockledge
I'll admit I don't know much about this part of town and have never lived here but have driven though almost all of it. People say Rockledge is more of a higher crime part of town but from what I've noticed is it's just more rundown. Sorry for the short review but that's really all I have to say about "The Rock".

West Melbourne
It's Viera but not as wealthy or conceited. It's very low in crime and has some nice schools. See map below for more details on this area - http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3078/westmelbourne.jpg (broken link)
Anywhere from Eber Blvd north to Fell Road is upper middle class neighborhoods with zero crime, elementary schools and middle schools along Wingate Blvd and nothing really to do otherwise, this is mainly residential housing. The only place that's not upper middle class is a lower class trailer park that's located on the south west part of this map just off of Eber Blvd on the streets Buddy Drive and American Drive. Carriage Gate is a community that's cut off on the map, if you look just south of I-95 you'll see "Carri" and then the rest cut off, it continues to run along I-95, all I will say is you better have stacks of money piled up if you want to live in there. This map is outdated because Florida Ave continues to Hollywood Blvd and a new intersection is there, just a note.

Melbourne
Overall for a young adult the stories you will hear about this town are true and that is this place is not called "Melboring" for no reason.

Anywhere from Sarno Rd North (Until you run into Viera) is all used car dealerships and older homes that I would label as lower middle class, just north of Lake Washington Rd along Harbor City Blvd is a part of town I wouldn't necessarily recommend along with the south east part of this map around S Harbor City Blvd, the reason for that is there is a good amount of prostitution that goes on and that leads to other types of crimes.

Just about five streets south of the area that is labeled as Melbourne in bold lettering is downtown Melbourne, here you will find the one strip of Sports Bars, Coffee Shops and live music this town has to offer, it's my favorite part of town mainly because of Meg O Malley's Melbourne Square Mall and Andretti Thrill Park are the only real attractions this town has to offer.

Ellis Rd located on the far West part of this map (above) is all Industrial Businesses same with W Nasa Blvd which has many military related Industrial Businesses.

Anywhere East of 192 and Eau Gallie Blvd is Beach Side which is all very relaxed and nice.

Palm Bay
Anyone who says that Palm Bay is "hood" or "high in crime" could not be further from the truth. While there are some spots that are slightly questionable compared to other cities this place is very soft and very cuddly.

It's probably the most diverse part of town even though people with a Caucasian background probably still make up a good 75% of the town.

The map is 90% residential housing. Palm Bay rd and Malabar Rd NE are the only exceptions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said if you have anymore question about these areas I am here to help. I can promise you I will give you the most accurate description of this area that you will find on these boards. There really is not much to say about Brevard County because it is a boring place but still like I said I'll tell you about the street/area you are moving to and could even give you a picture or video if you like. Pleas ignore any grammar or spelling mistakes made in this post

Last edited by Bowpow; 02-18-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:02 PM

469 posts, read 1,327,849 times
We just moved to sheridan lakes in west melbourne. We are laid back- easygoing family. Wanted a good safe community with good schools and I feel we hit the jackpot! Viera/suntree was a good contender but west mel was a better fit. M.ore house for less Love it! Its quiet and safe for young kids. Love the schools-meadowlane pri and inter. Any info. On the surrounding subdivisions? And good local shops restaurants worth trying out?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 PM

You live in a nice little neighborhood even though just north is the Melbourne dump and you might smell it from time to time during the summer months but other than that your surrounding subdivisions are nice. A little more north along John Rhodes Blvd you'll run into a couple trailer parks and industrial businesses.

Central Middle School is a bit suspect, maybe they have cleaned it up a bit from when I attended about seven years ago but it wasn't all that great when I went. Then again is middle school ever really a good time to be in a public school?

Meg O Malley's, Five Guys, Bizzaros Pizza, House of Joe and The Sun Shop are a few of my favorite places to eat. Any place in Downtown Melbourne is for the most part nice. House of Joe and The Sun Shop are more for young adults/adults and for Beatniks and Hipster types (that's a little far fetched). Meg O Malley's is fun for the whole family if you ask me.

Welcome to Melboring

Old 02-19-2011, 08:22 PM

263 posts, read 889,563 times
Is Sheridan Lakes close to where the Daily Bread is considering? They are going to build close to the recycling center and dump right? Home values around there may see a dip....

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM

264 posts, read 774,338 times
brevard county is for losers. if anyone is considering moving here, you MUST reconsider. if you suck at life, it may be the place for you. i am 25, lived here over 10 years, and have a university degree.

this is a place for retirees and the ultra-conservative. and its SICKENING how this town operates while the rest of the world is moving along. if you've lived in any metro area and plan on moving here, plan to take a trip to the 1970s. this place is disgusting.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
brevard county is for losers. if anyone is considering moving here, you MUST reconsider. if you suck at life, it may be the place for you. i am 25, lived here over 10 years, and have a university degree.

this is a place for retirees and the ultra-conservative. and its SICKENING how this town operates while the rest of the world is moving along. if you've lived in any metro area and plan on moving here, plan to take a trip to the 1970s. this place is disgusting.
Is it really that bad? I've never lived anywhere else, maybe I'm trapped from the rest of the world

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM

yea it is bad, ive lived all across the us and overseas growing up when i was younger. i have been in melbourne though for about 10 yrs now.

just take a trip to orlando for the weekend, or even a day. hang around the ucf area/campus or even just the waterford lakes shopping plaza. you will see an incredible change in the attitudes of people and might even feel a bit inspired to do something in life.

75% of people in melbourne, all they are doing is trying to survive. visit any metro area and you will see that people are actually living. yes people in melbourne are for the most part very conservative. that is a result of several factors including the type of employment in the area and the demographics. the model citizen in this area will have a position with a company like harris, drs, intersil, or any one of those governmental type positions. their lives are all standardized.

on the other hand, you live in an area that is more diverse like orlando (which is still not the greatest), you will find bankers, entrepreneurs, engineers, doctors, lawyers all who have a life.

there is nothing to do in melbourne! its such a small "cozy" town and i admit its good to come back to sometimes, but this is absolutely not a place to settle in my opinion when there is so much more out there. it just doesn't make sense for someone to CHOOSE to live here.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
yea it is bad, ive lived all across the us and overseas growing up when i was younger. i have been in melbourne though for about 10 yrs now.

just take a trip to orlando for the weekend, or even a day. hang around the ucf area/campus or even just the waterford lakes shopping plaza. you will see an incredible change in the attitudes of people and might even feel a bit inspired to do something in life.

75% of people in melbourne, all they are doing is trying to survive. visit any metro area and you will see that people are actually living. yes people in melbourne are for the most part very conservative. that is a result of several factors including the type of employment in the area and the demographics. the model citizen in this area will have a position with a company like harris, drs, intersil, or any one of those governmental type positions. their lives are all standardized.

on the other hand, you live in an area that is more diverse like orlando (which is still not the greatest), you will find bankers, entrepreneurs, engineers, doctors, lawyers all who have a life.

there is nothing to do in melbourne! its such a small "cozy" town and i admit its good to come back to sometimes, but this is absolutely not a place to settle in my opinion when there is so much more out there. it just doesn't make sense for someone to CHOOSE to live here.
That's one characteristic I like about the area. Don't get me wrong the attitudes of the people around here are very conservative and sometimes very uninspiring but don't you think having an ambitious attitude comes from ones own attitude and perseverance?

How would you rank B.C.C. with other community colleges? I plan on getting my Associate Degree and then moving to Orlando to party

Towns/Cities are what you make of them if you ask me.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM

BCC is ok, but you cant get a four year degree there so whats the point. Might as well do all four years at a university if you can, otherwise you miss out on two great years of partying lol

Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:

Raising hand very high to say "I guess I am one of the losers then and proud of it!"

BTW I have a colllege degree .. and have lived in many places, also. I chose this area because it is what I wanted as a single, young adult after working for several years in the Chicago area. Looking back I did not make a mistake in choosing this area. I found everything I wanted in this area except I have to drive a little farther for off-Broadway productions most of the time.

This is also a great location for raising a family. For families who spend time together there are a million things to keep you busy and having fun. Median age here is something like 40, so that means there are just as many younger than 40 as older. Compared to a lot of areas it is a younger population. Did you have a hard time fitting in with the kids in high school when you moved here at 15? Did you move in with an attitude that you were better than the kids who grew up here because that is the attitude I see you presenting on here?

Still trying to figure out how a high tech area is still in the 70s.....unless you mean education, family, church, neighborly neighbors, friends who actually care about you are old fashioned and clubbing is the only thing that makes an area worthwhile.

I realize you are young and just starting out in your career and life as an adult, but I think as time goes on you might just realize what a great area this was for you to live in. Sounds like it is time for you to fly, though i am wondering, since you hate this area so much, why you are still here after you got your degree.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County