Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,392,092 times

Advertisements

I didn't chuckle until I read the ages How do you get that angry at age 25 anyway? Never mind, don't want to know.

At least the thread starter is positive, helpful, and provide great maps

I've travelled around and visited the Brevard area several times now. Very diverse, lots of changes from one town to the next. I love the Cocoa Beach area, and fell in love with the golf course. Vierra is great as well. Palm Bay can be a little congested, but at least they've worked hard on the main route East.

We love the beaches, golf, some restaurants by the water etc... But definitely work will be at the forefront for some years to come. Access to I95 and the coast were priorities. My first decent find (haven't toured there yet), was at Polo Glen in Rockledge, next to Viera. Seems to fit the spots we want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM

264 posts, read 771,233 times
You guys are limited to a visitors experience and this is a problem with you Old people, you discount the opinion of the youth. I grew up here and have been a resident of the area for over ten years. Not to mention very active in the community and have associated with all different types of people. If you are limited to a visitors experience and have not lived here under the age of 25, its pretty easy to make this place out to be a fairy tale.

All of brevard is very second-hand, the service and professionalism you get from most of the businesses, restaurants, and public places will likely not be up to par with the better, more developed areas. Its a poor lifestyle here, its not lively, and a lot of people are plain old depressed because they are stuck here.

Its so easy for me to say this because its a very common opinion among those in my age group. I can go on with the negatives and they do far outweigh the positives. I've met many people who have said they were ashamed of being from here. Its very dumbed down and not a place to feel prideful being from. If you are old, ultra conservative, or broke this might be the place for you to live as you let the rest of the world pass you by.

I can write a full out review but its not even worth it. I was angry when I originally posted thats because the service you get around here stinks!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 AM

My GF grew up in the Melbourne area, and has sons a decade older than yourself. I can assure you, none of us are boring. I can understand anyone being unhappy anywhere. Do as I do, find another spot. There are many areas in Florida and elsewhere where it is definitely not boring, at any age.

Spoiler
Are you just a troll?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Anything can be fun if you are with the right people. But that isn't even the argument, melbourne is just poor quality. Call me a troll whatever you want, I'm just providing feedback. Negative feedback in this case that some of you are having a hard time accepting.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 PM

I look forward to you next choice of towns, as I'm sure everyone does. Please keep us all informed.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM

134 posts, read 301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
You guys are limited to a visitors experience and this is a problem with you Old people, you discount the opinion of the youth. I grew up here and have been a resident of the area for over ten years. Not to mention very active in the community and have associated with all different types of people. If you are limited to a visitors experience and have not lived here under the age of 25, its pretty easy to make this place out to be a fairy tale.
It's difficult to tell from your post how old you are. You say you grew up here and you've been here for over 10 years. Does that make you nearly eleven?

What age are those 'old people' you talk about? (When I was 11, I thought somebody who was 16 years old was ancient.)

I suppose at that age, you are rather more reliant on having somebody else arrange your entertainment for you. Perhaps when you're a little older you'll start petitioning local club owners to put on entertainment which is suitable for your age group and when you're in your 20's, no doubt if there's nothing to do, you (perhaps in partnership with some of your friends) will open an establishment which does cater for younger adults. From what you say, you wouldn't have much competition.

Quote:
All of brevard is very second-hand, the service and professionalism you get from most of the businesses, restaurants, and public places will likely not be up to par with the better, more developed areas.
'Brevard is second-hand' I've no idea what you mean there.

Quote:
Its a poor lifestyle here, its not lively, and a lot of people are plain old depressed because they are stuck here.

Its so easy for me to say this because its a very common opinion among those in my age group. I can go on with the negatives and they do far outweigh the positives. I've met many people who have said they were ashamed of being from here. Its very dumbed down and not a place to feel prideful being from.
Does a rich lifestyle (as opposed to a poor one) mean a lifestyle where people do everything for you and you don't have to arrange any entertainment/activities for yourself?

Quote:
If you are old, ultra conservative, or broke this might be the place for you to live as you let the rest of the world pass you by....
Would it be fair to add to that list people who can find their own amusement?

I don't know the area very well at all. I visited for 12 days - which was long enough to find a house, buy it, arrange for some re-modelling work to be done while I am away, find a place to keep a boat, ( I enjoy sailing), discover that the fishing (sea and maggot-dangling) is good, the beaches are good . Then it was time to go back to Europe (and hope that all the work will be done by the time I return in September.

Mountain hiking and riding a motorcycle along Alpine roads are two other things I enjoy doing. There aren't many mountains in Florida, nor are there any decent motorcycling roads, so one of my bikes will stay in Europe and I'll spend a month or 2 in the Alps during the summer.

There may not be a great deal of organised entertainment (I don't know - I haven't bothered to look) and although to you I might seem as old as Methuselah, I'm not so old that I can't keep myself amused and I very much doubt I'm going to be bored in Brevard.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Brevard County is second-hand in that the majority of people who are exceptional performers in what they do here, presented the opportunity, they will leave.

There is no opportunity for advancement here. Those that are left are the ones that are struggling to get out or are stuck and have to accept the fact they have to make the best out of their stay here. Thus, making it "second-hand" or used/not the best.

This is the majority of 18-25 year olds.

The majority in my opinion above that age range are attracted to the relatively inexpensive market value of homes in this area or its the only place they could find work.

And I know there are those on here that would try to refute this whole claim with the fact that there are places like Kennedy Space Center and Harris, Intersil, DRS, and other technological facilities. This is a very small niche in regards to the rest of the world and its seemingly the only reason this area exists. Brevard county is highly uncommercialized and you'll find that the majority of businesses here are smaller proprietorships or franchise enterprises (of which are all pretty much losing money also).

But I am not referring to one's financial net worth when I say there is a poor lifestyle here, what I mean is poor quality. This is the type of place where you go to the gym and the fitness instructors are either overweight, old and out of shape, or just not very fitness inclined whatsoever. It's the type of place where you go to the popular bars at night and the bartender grunts "what do ya want?" It's the type of place you'll find people go out in their pajamas at night (even the daytime too!) to various public locations. It's the type of place people go out and get drunk or do drugs because there isn't much else for them to do here. This is all far too commmon here and very poor quality in my opinion.

I will be leaving in the Fall to South Florida for a position just out of college with an annual salary above $50k. It took a lot of hard work and I was able to do it because I left Brevard County and did not stay like a lot of other people in my age range that got stuck.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM

I never said anything about being bored in Brevard there are a number of things to do. I did say though that Brevard is for old people, the conservative, and the broke. If you are not one of these, you will find a harder time fitting in.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM

If this doesn't apply to you, thats fine. But this is coming from a resident of the area for over ten years who is not sheltered and has experience with the people of the area. This isn't an angry troll review, this is honest feedback. I registered on this forum board looking for real feedback about a few South Florida neighborhoods and properties to research. Then I stopped by the Space Coast/Brevard County section and found it to be very laughable.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,092 times
Default Ummm...can we get back to the OP?

I came back to this thread because I thought since the beginning of it was so informative, that this latest post would be as well. Boy, was I wrong.

Is it too much to ask to get back to the original post?

Please and thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County