Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM

264 posts, read 774,500 times

Advertisements

soo i was wondering how melbourne could be so great when it doesn't even have any of this?

its a serious question not trying to stir a commotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 PM

or this lol

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 PM

and here is good old country melbourne lots of sunshine but also a bunch of nothing

Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 AM

12 posts, read 29,793 times
CFO,

Glad to see you are enjoying your new digs. Seems like you are having a good time, good for you. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to talk to you on the SFla boards.

RetiredArmyMSG,

My family and I are moving from Hong Kong to the Cocoa Beach/Satellite Beach at the end of the year. I used to live in Central FL, but it was several years ago, so I can't really speak too much about how things are currently along the central coast. I do spend a couple of months in the Keys each winter, and on our way we usually pass through the area. I used to spend a significant amount of time in the Melbourne area, and I can say that the beachside areas are very pleasant. I have also had the pleasure of spending a lot of time in Austin/Round Rock and the New Braunfels areas. I really liked Austin, it has a very cultural and educated feel, especially for a TX town. If you are looking for easy going atmosphere, and plenty of great sunshine and outdoor activities, it may be a good fit for you. Good luck. We're certainly looking forward to moving this winter.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunch14 View Post
CFO,

Glad to see you are enjoying your new digs. Seems like you are having a good time, good for you. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to talk to you on the SFla boards.
Thanks I am enjoying it so far but I sincerely would like to understand, and excuse my "naivete", but what makes melbourne such an attractive place to some of you?

South Florida has everything Melbourne can offer and more, with the convenience of being nearby to large municipalities and society itself.

I was raised in the midwest so I know what its like to have that country, simple-minded, family-oriented lifestyle. But I place Melbourne below that. So what is it that attracts you? Your upbringing and background? Lower cost of living? Social insecurity?

It surely can't be traffic, convenience of shopping, and things to do because from what I've seen there are plenty enough communities to suit most everybody.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
Thanks I am enjoying it so far but I sincerely would like to understand, and excuse my "naivete", but what makes melbourne such an attractive place to some of you?

South Florida has everything Melbourne can offer and more, with the convenience of being nearby to large municipalities and society itself.

I was raised in the midwest so I know what its like to have that country, simple-minded, family-oriented lifestyle. But I place Melbourne below that. So what is it that attracts you? Your upbringing and background? Lower cost of living? Social insecurity?

It surely can't be traffic, convenience of shopping, and things to do because from what I've seen there are plenty enough communities to suit most everybody.
I'll take a stab at this. For me it's the low crime, low traffic, lower cost of living, slower pace, and abundance of outdoor activities. There's almost no hiking in South Florida. It's too swampy. And the kayaking opportunities aren't as diverse. Plus my well-paying job and my friends are here. The schools are better here. I don't care about shopping - there's no stores that Melbourne is missing that I would frequent, other than maybe an outdoor store like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shop. Anything else I can get in Orlando or online. My friends and I go out regularly and very much enjoy the style of nightlife that Melbourne has to offer - we're bar/pub people, not club people.

My personal hell would be living in a tiny apartment in the middle of Manhattan or some other big city. My dream house is either on 50 acres in the country or a quiet place in the keys (one of the middle keys, not KW). Saying that I have "social insecurities" is a bit closed minded. I just enjoy a different lifestyle than you do.

I've spent a fair amount of time in South Florida. It's a nice place to visit, but I'm glad I don't live there. If I had to move to a city I'd rather go to Orlando or Tampa. I don't doubt I could find a nice community to live in there, it's just much more expensive and not really what I'm looking for.

Note that I'm not a minority. I haven't had to deal with any of the racial issues here that you unfortunately have.

As for my background, I grew up in a medium sized city in Indiana (~250k people).

Last edited by jdoty; 05-12-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 02:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,260 times
At your age, my father asked me why I liked the high style and fast life of places like Lauderdale, even Miami. It was cool, we felt cool, even brazen. We were out on the town supporting our lifestyles and loving it. The downtown lights and fast lifestyle gets old, or you just get sick of it after awhile. You find other things to do than listen to phony people trying to pretend they're livin large, wearing gold chains, talking smack, living the high life around the "In crowd".

I'd prefer to visit some places like South Beach or Lauderdale for a couple of days. I have the entire series of Miami Vice on DVD if I need to relive life in the fast lane

Pretty cool place to start in FL. I'm more boat and water oriented, so your mileage may vary.

YOLO Restaurant - You Only Live Once

Bahia Cabana Beach Resort

Pelican Bar by the Pier

The W Hotel
Fort Lauderdale Hotels | W Fort Lauderdale

I prefer to be more waterfront myself, but sometimes not practical.

You have fun down there. Chances are, we've been there too

Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Thank you

Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,260 times
How could I have possibly forgotten

Shooters Waterfront Cafe USA Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
soo i was wondering how melbourne could be so great when it doesn't even have any of this?

its a serious question not trying to stir a commotion

You are kidding with those pictures, right? A club with dancers/srippers?,
a cheap hotel room, a bunch of exercise machiners, a downtown scene with Christmas lights on the palms in April or May, etc. Those are what you have been dramin' about?

Actually I think your best pic was the one from the lake at the library looking toward the hospital. Very good picture capturing the stork and egrets . There is beauty here on the Space Coast.

Not sure where you were able to find such an empty street, but to me I would interpret that pic as " What lies ahead."

Hope your new home is everything you expect it to be. Love moving to new towns because it can be so much fun to discover everything there is to do in a new area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County