Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM

142 posts, read 315,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Vero is smaller, sleepier, and has a much larger number of retirees. They have the outlet malls, but there isn't as much shopping besides that. I suspect you'd find yourselves driving to Melbourne, Port St. Lucie, or even West Palm Beach for shopping if that's your wife's thing. Other than that, it's a very nice area. It's very safe and has more of a small-town feel than Melbourne.
Sleepier is okay. I'm not exactly Mr. Excitement.
My wife's shopping habits consist of a grocery store, Walmart, Target, and K-Mart.....and there isn't a city in the country that doesn't have one or more of these within 2 miles of every home in the city.

I'm far from being "sold" on the idea of moving to Vero, but I am open to looking there.

Regardless of which city we choose, I'm never going to find a decent pizzeria, a good jelly doughnut or a freshly baked NY bagel.
What's next? Do I have to give up on watching my Yankees and football Giants too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually, if she doesn't drive highways, Vero Beach might be a better fit. More small town roads/streets than in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area where we have some 6 lane roads in town.

There is the outlet mall and Indian River Mall on the Rt. 60 exit. They have also been filling up the road with stores between the 2 malls. Seems like there is a target and a Walmart on that strip now. Also over on US1 there is a K-Mart and some other stores. Fort Pierce is just down the road and so is Sebastian with its Walmart. I don't know if she likes shopping antiques and thrift shops but there are good ones in the area, too.
My wife was able to handle Wickham Road and New Haven Avenue during our August visit, so maybe she's not as limited in her driving as I may have described......
.......and you said a few of her 'magic words' in mentioning KMart and Walmart.

She's dying to use her Winn-Dixie store card again, so the competition between Melbourne and Vero may come down to who has the closest and nicest Winn-Dixie.
Publix was "okay" in her book, but nothing like Winn-Dixie. Probably something in the store names. Publix sounds so cold and impersonal.

She's not a boutique kind of person, but she *has* been known to frequent a thrift shop or two during her time.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
My wife's shopping habits consist of a grocery store, Walmart, Target, and K-Mart.....and there isn't a city in the country that doesn't have one or more of these within 2 miles of every home in the city.

I'm far from being "sold" on the idea of moving to Vero, but I am open to looking there.

Regardless of which city we choose, I'm never going to find a decent pizzeria, a good jelly doughnut or a freshly baked NY bagel.
What's next? Do I have to give up on watching my Yankees and football Giants too?
There are a TON of pizza places down here, most run by NYers. A few even have NY water flown down to make it more "authentic". You'll find good pizza. I don't know about NY-style bagels or donuts.

You'll unfortunately also find a large number of Yankee and Giants fans down here. Personally, I don't get how people can root for such terrible teams!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
There are a TON of pizza places down here, most run by NYers. A few even have NY water flown down to make it more "authentic". You'll find good pizza. I don't know about NY-style bagels or donuts.

You'll unfortunately also find a large number of Yankee and Giants fans down here. Personally, I don't get how people can root for such terrible teams!
You're an honorable person, so I'd like to buy your theory on pizza.....but I heard the same thing about Melbourne. "Go to Bizzaro's. It's just like NY pizza."
Well, my friend in Melbourne, formerly a 50 year resident of Brooklyn, told me that, in almost 3 years of living in Melbourne, he's yet to find anything close to a NY pizza......and he's been to Bizzaro's.

So have we......last August. I'll admit that it was better than I expected, but it still wasn't up to NY standards. Uno (on Wickham Road) turned out to be the best of the 3 pizza samplings we had during our 2 week stay in Melbourne.

......and I'll ignore the remark about my BELOVED Yankees and Giants. ;-)

Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:

For the pizza try Bazarros on the beach in Indialantic. . Pizza is pretty good and the NY guys that own or run it are rude and always yelling at somebody<g>.
On NY Eve we got pizza from Valentinos on Malabar Rd. I thought it was good NY pizza too. The Italian restaurant down town Melbourne has pretty good pizza, too.

Fair warning- all us old Florida natives and adoptees who have been here forever hate to hear people talking about how much better stuff is up North. For me not having the old favorites her just makes the Italian beef, the Reuban sandwiches, and Chicago pizza taste even beter when I go back to the area. 50 days and counting........

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
For the pizza try Bazarros on the beach in Indialantic. . Pizza is pretty good and the NY guys that own or run it are rude and always yelling at somebody<g>.
On NY Eve we got pizza from Valentinos on Malabar Rd. I thought it was good NY pizza too. The Italian restaurant down town Melbourne has pretty good pizza, too.

Fair warning- all us old Florida natives and adoptees who have been here forever hate to hear people talking about how much better stuff is up North. For me not having the old favorites her just makes the Italian beef, the Reuban sandwiches, and Chicago pizza taste even beter when I go back to the area. 50 days and counting........
The 'rude and yelling' element certainly adds a little NY flavor to the pie.....LOL

We actually went to Bizzaro's last August. Wasn't bad, but.....(and you're not gonna want to hear this)........wasn't as good as 'up north'.
(or maybe I just applied my NY bias in making that determination).

So.....what happens in 50 days? Visiting Chicago? or returning to your roots? Let's hope it's only a visit. You're an expert on Brevard/Melbourne. What would prospective buyers in the area do without your wisdom and sage advice?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
The 'rude and yelling' element certainly adds a little NY flavor to the pie.....LOL

We actually went to Bizzaro's last August. Wasn't bad, but.....(and you're not gonna want to hear this)........wasn't as good as 'up north'.
(or maybe I just applied my NY bias in making that determination).

So.....what happens in 50 days? Visiting Chicago? or returning to your roots? Let's hope it's only a visit. You're an expert on Brevard/Melbourne. What would prospective buyers in the area do without your wisdom and sage advice?
Gonna use some free Southwest miles and go to a wedding in Southern Indiana and then drive up to see my sis who is in a nursing home up there.
4 trips in 2010 mostly for funerals so this is going to be the 1st fun trip in a few years.

Not all Bizarros are equal. The original one on the beach is my favorite with the Palm Bay Rd. one where we order from for lunch at work are the 2 I like.

As for my advice....some would probabaly be glad if I left it to the pros. My perspective is not always the norm.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Gonna use some free Southwest miles and go to a wedding in Southern Indiana and then drive up to see my sis who is in a nursing home up there.
4 trips in 2010 mostly for funerals so this is going to be the 1st fun trip in a few years.

Not all Bizarros are equal. The original one on the beach is my favorite with the Palm Bay Rd. one where we order from for lunch at work are the 2 I like.

As for my advice....some would probabaly be glad if I left it to the pros. My perspective is not always the norm.
We went to the Bizzaro's right on the beach......about 200 yards away from where we were working on our tans, a/k/a, baking half to death.
Got a good tan though !!!! Looked good in pictures for about a month before the tan faded back to a Northeast Gray.
Glad you're sticking around. Your opinion may not be the norm, but it's unbiased and without an agenda. With "The Pros", you can't always say that.
Enjoy your first 'happy trip up north' in over a year. :-)

Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 18,391 times
Default I moved to Palm Bay from Queens, NY 6 months ago...

From the perspective of a 31 year old woman of Italian/Irish decent, who is married with 2 boys, NYer all the way!... I moved to Palm Bay from Queens, NY 6 months ago and it has been a wonderful transition! I had read all the negatives about the area, but decided to go for it, even though I was absolutly terrified. We purchased a home outright for 62K on 1/4 acre, built in 2001, concrete, 1400sf, 2car gar, screened in porch (excellent deal). If your planning on buying make sure you have reviewed Floridas homestead laws. Stay under that 1/2 acre if you want security!!

As for the area, I personally love it! There are good and bad people everywhere. Here there are more good than bad. Palm Bay has a wonderful mix of all nationalities. Like Ny just with alot less people, though its still hard to run into the same person twice. There is alot to do here especially if you like nature. They have babysitting nights monthly at the community centers for $6 per kid (wich is awsome). There is an abundance of sport programs and art programs for kids including theater. Jobs are not that difficult to come by unless your a serious druggie (which there atre quite a few here). The pay rate is a bit less, but more than enough to sustain a hosehold. You can rent nice 2 bedroom apartment for $400 per month! They aren't the nicesest of areas but nothing compared to a big city. Just alot of uneducated druggies.

The schools are scattered in terms of good and bad. But if you don't like the school closest to you, you can always send them somwhere ealse and there are plenty of good ones. Brevard county has school choice, you just have to do the leg work. In Plam Bay I don't think there truly is a bad neighborhood. Just some bad mix into every neighborhood, which is typical. I love NW Palm Bay, though there are good sections all over Palm Bay that would suit just about anyone. SW is more country (alot of fun rednecks), SE is much more quite than the N and has great access to Valkaria and Sebastian Inlet, NE has Turkey Creek Sanctuary, which I love, but is a bit more trashy than the NW because it's too close to bad areas of Melbourne. The NW, along Minton and Palm Bay road is a pretty busy area. West Melbourne is right there, which is a wonderful area!

As for the rest of Brevard, Mims and Titusville are more country (lots and lots of fun red necks), PSJ has some very nice areas for white people, heard there is alot of trash, don't know much more than that. Anything beachside is nice. Stay away from Cocoa and sections of Eau Galley. Melbourne has some really bad neighborhoods (stay away from University). The only part I like about Melbourne is near old town (W. Mel is much nicer) and Mel. beach is great! Grant and Valkaria are one in the same beautiful, diverse, but more rural.

I believe Palm Bay was the perfect choice for me. It's a town where you can have it all within 20 mins no matter where you located. It is the fastest growing city in Brevard for a reason! Hope this bit of info helps anyone trying to make the decision. It is specifically meant for any Nyers looking to make the plunge, you'll feel right at home, as there are plenty of us here. Don't be scared just do it!!! Brevard is a wonderful place! The locals that liked it when it was more country and the racists are the only ones that would post negative things! They want this beautiful place all to themselves.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 18,391 times
Michellis pizza on PB road is closest to NY pizza I have found. A bit too much garlic, but they use it to crisp the dow because it just doesn't bake up the same here. The browning of the garlic gives it that dirty ny taste. Love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County