U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,014,684 times

Advertisements

hi , am coming from Boston for the shuttle launch April 19th.

Am driving up from the Disney World area where I'll be staying.

Am wondering are there any good back road routes to the space coast other than the crowded highways?

Also what is there to do in the area?

I particularly like the natural eco things and such ...can you hike on Merritt Island or parts of it even when there's a shuttle on the pad??? Do they still offer bus tours @ KSC in the morning @ Kennedy Space Center before a night launch? Or do they close things down a few hours before launch?

What other attractions are there to do north of Merritt Island, Around Cocoa Beach and Titusville???

Are there tours of the Daytona 500 speedway offered?

Also any good suggestions for places to eat around Titusville or Cocoa, especially a good space themed restaurant that isn't cheesey with good food???

Thanks

I particularly enjoy seafood, american cuisine or italian being from Boston :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM

39 posts, read 119,637 times
so youa re going to drive from disney to see the launch and then drive back. Good luck! Last launch in Feb took 7 plus hrs for folks to make it back to Orlando. I live 25 min drive from the Cape and it took me over 3 hrs to get back. With the last launches coming folks were parked days and camping before the launch, If I recall they claimed over a million folks decended upon the area. Getting back will be a nightmare so I recomend alot of food and water and stuff to do. Get to a good spot early and you may as well camp where you are at because leaving will suck.

I've seen that last 5 launches as I can go out to the causeway at the cape however this time Ill watch from the back yard F that traffic

good luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post

Am wondering are there any good back road routes to the space coast other than the crowded highways?

I particularly like the natural eco things and such ...can you hike on Merritt Island or parts of it even when there's a shuttle on the pad??? Do they still offer bus tours @ KSC in the morning @ Kennedy Space Center before a night launch? Or do they close things down a few hours before launch?

What other attractions are there to do north of Merritt Island, Around Cocoa Beach and Titusville???

Also any good suggestions for places to eat around Titusville or Cocoa, especially a good space themed restaurant that isn't cheesey with good food???

Thanks

Instead of taking !-4 or the Beline(528) take the South route. Take 50 to 520 into Cocoa Beach or take 192 through Kissimmee and get onto A1A in Melbourne and watch from a Patrick Airforce Beach inxstad of heading all the way to Titusville. You could also try to get a spot along the river in the Port St. John area. Sometimes when we didn't get passes from work we would watch from Nicole Park, but you have to get there early.

No matter what roads you take the closer to launch time the busier they will all get. If you are only coming on launch day you really won't have time to go anywhere. You will need to get your spot many hours before launch. I would suggest making it a beach day. I would get there in the morning for the 7:48 PM launch. Depending on your spot there might be places close enough to walk to to eat, but bring cooler with drinks and food in case nothing is available. Once it launches I would head South on A1A to Melbourne and head back to Disney on 192 but it will still take hours and you will be in bumper to bumper traffic so you might want to sit tight or find a local place to eat and enjoy a long dinner before heading back.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 PM

35 posts, read 81,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post

Thanks

I would take 50 to 95 then go one exit north or ST RD 46 to 95 then exit first titusville exit (south from 46 ...(82 I think it is ) geez...lived here for years can't remember the exit LOL then take that rd which is garden street ....straight down over US1 which then turns into Max Brewer Hwy best view for a shuttle launch and much easier to get in and out of Titusville then to go all the way over to Merritt Island ......besides the launch pad actually sits closer to Titusville anyway...... Anywhere along US1 is a good spot also in Titusville
The launch pad / wild life refuge and center generally close down SEVERAL DAYS before a luanch not just a couple hours...and plan to get to the site and park at least bout 4 hours or more to get a decent spot and bring food cause you won't be able to leave or you'll lose your spot!! (I would also park somewhere close to a bathroom )
Food wise Dixie Cross roads has great seafood .....and ROCK SHRIMP!! which you can't get out of the area really....don't know any place that has space theme ...except maybe the moon hut in Cape Canaveral...but its was just basic fair like FF and bugers and stuff. They do still do tours at the space center but where they use to be cheap...they are now EXPENSIVE

Enjoy....I always did!!

forgot to add...Dixie cross roads is right on Garden street as well so it is on the way too

Last edited by Biggsbasement; 04-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 81,935 times
oh yea......PS I lived bout 10 miles from the launch pad... in Titusville .......and can watch them from my driveway but we always drive up the road and park on US1 just to get the full view and FEEL of them!! great photos as well !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County