Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:44 AM

12 posts, read 46,193 times

Advertisements

We just finished the worst experience with the seller's realestate agent. The seller's agent was unprofessional, made changes to a contract without our permission, rude and deceitful to mention a few. We documented everything and sent it registered/return-receipt to the agency manager for an explanation but never got a response. We also contacted the headquarter (national chain) customer service representative who contacted the agency but also never got a response. She finally told us to call the office manager (who signed for our formal complaint). So, we are now looking for suggestions - what would you do next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 AM

165 posts, read 588,499 times
After the changes were made did you initial the contract or sign it? You send a letter to the real commission to complain but being rude or unprofessional is not a crime or something they will do anything about. They are only interested if the agent performed a r/e violation. If you agreed to the changes they made and initialed or signed, they did nothing wrong, if you didn't then that part of the change is not valid without a signature. How were you made aware of the change? Need more info to know if it was a violation, or just an unprofessional realtor, or just a new realtor.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. Here is what happened (as it relates to the contract):

1. We signed the contract (and made a copy).
2. Our agent forwarded to the seller's agent.
3. The seller (agent) crossed out two items and made word changes.
4. The seller signed the contract.
5. The contract was then sent to the mortgage company and we got a copy.
6. Upon reviewing the contract, we noticed to the two changes that weren't even intialed by the seller (or dated).

Don't get me wrong - the changes wouldn't have been a problem but it was just another example how we were treated by the seller's agent. That plus the other issues was just unacceptable and put us over (anger) the top.

Our objective? Why should an agent be able to get away with this. Apparently, the agent is a super money maker - and the agency would rather ignore the problems and make the money.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 AM

So Joy333 - as an Agent - what would you suggest I do?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM

186 posts, read 470,699 times
Where I was trained (not in Florida) we did business differently. So I can not speak of Florida's rules and regs. But I would suggest that maybe you contact the local county Board of Realtors to discuss your issues. I am sure they could tell you if a violation has or has not occured.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluidblonde View Post
Where I was trained (not in Florida) we did business differently. So I can not speak of Florida's rules and regs. But I would suggest that maybe you contact the local county Board of Realtors to discuss your issues. I am sure they could tell you if a violation has or has not occured.
Thanks for the suggestion. Funny, we contacted the "headquarter's" with our complaint and they in turn forwarded the complaint to the offending office. They said they don't actually "control" the offices - they are independent sales people. The offending office didn't reply to them - nor did they reply to my certified (signature required) letter. They just don't care.

Anyway - I have an appointment with a realestate attorney - I plan on running this as far as I can.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluidblonde View Post
maybe you contact the local county Board of Realtors
I looked and all I could find were non-governmental websites that are only "pushing" membership yet no way of registering a complaint. Interesting...

Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog03203022 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Here is what happened (as it relates to the contract):

1. We signed the contract (and made a copy).
2. Our agent forwarded to the seller's agent.
3. The seller (agent) crossed out two items and made word changes.
4. The seller signed the contract.
5. The contract was then sent to the mortgage company and we got a copy.
6. Upon reviewing the contract, we noticed to the two changes that weren't even intialed by the seller (or dated).

Don't get me wrong - the changes wouldn't have been a problem but it was just another example how we were treated by the seller's agent. That plus the other issues was just unacceptable and put us over (anger) the top.

Our objective? Why should an agent be able to get away with this. Apparently, the agent is a super money maker - and the agency would rather ignore the problems and make the money.

Again, thanks for your reply.
I'm going to comment, but you may not like my opinion. I totally understand your frustration and anger. I also had a bad experience with an unethical realtor and it's beyond frustrating.

I don't think it's uncommon for the buyer or seller to make changes before signing the sales contract as it passes between the parties, but is then returned to the "other party" to initial approval for those changes. I think your realtor has some guilt in this also and that realtor should have discussed the changes with you - unless he/she also was unaware. However, while I truly understand your frustration, you commented that the changes really weren't a problem and you would have agreed to them, I'm guessing that other than your frustration with how you were treated you're generally satisfied with the overall transaction.

So, now you're continuing your vendetta against the realtor and losing focus on the positive aspects of the transaction. You're losing all your good feelings by pursing this and ultimately the only one who will really gain is the attorney.

My suggestion is to simply chalk it up to experience. Report it to the Real Estate Commision/Licensing Board, and any "official" agency you think needs to know. In the future make certain that you review everything each step of the way. And in the meantime, at every opportunity share your experience (without malice and/or the risk of libel) with anyone considering a real estate transaction. Realtors depend on their reputation and, ultimately, unethical actions will be their demise.

Easier said than done, but my voice of experience says let it go...move on...and be happy

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
The State of Florida regulates real estate sales associates, brokers, and property appraisers who hold Florida licenses to practice those professions. Presumably the agent you're complaining about is licensed by the state.

To file a complaint against a Florida licensed real estate agent or broker, go to the website of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation -- they have an online complaint process. You'll need to have copies of all relevant documentation and specific information for your complaint. The Department will review your complaint, and if you have submitted evidence that there was a violation of state law or administrative rules, the Department will conduct an investigation and follow through with the disciplinary process.

Vague claims of unprofessionalism or rudeness will not generate an investigation. The Department has to be convinced from the evidence you provide that there was probably a violation of state law.

Go to www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr and follow the links to file a complaint.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
You can make a complaint against anyone holding a real estate license to the- Fl Dept of Business and professional regulations.
Every county has a 'Board of Realtors'. File the complaint in the county where the agent operates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County