U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 13,770 times

Advertisements

Hey, we are a young family of 6 and are currently living in Northern Illinois. It is getting EXTREMLY pricey to live here and we are wanting a change of scenary. We have 4 kids(6,5,4&2) so schools would be an important part of where we move. I am a stay at home mom and my husband is currently working for a supplier of Chrysler and has 4 yrs experience as a store manager for Arby's. How is the housing and job market there, as well as the schools? Here we are renting a 750 sf house for $900/mnth. ANY information you could pass on would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,064 times
I'm in the same boat, I live in cali and have a 13 year old. We are seriously considering a move to Spring Hill, in Hernando County. From our research we have been looking into a renting an apartment for the time being. Mariner's Cay looks really nice, a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment 1240 sq ft would be $855. We pay $1296 for a 2 bed 1 bath here in California. My boyfriend's family has lived in Spring Hill for many years and they say its a really nice place, lots of shopping and good schools. But my concern is mostly for my son being from california all his life I'm afraid of the culture shock how other kids will perceive him and accept him. If anyone has any input on that situation please by all means I need opinions and input .

Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,323 times
I'm looking 2 relocate there as well with my 2 daughters & there dad so far I been hearing nothing but good things while I do my research & from what I been hearing it's great for familes & the coast of living is much cheaper I even found a apartment for people with low income( madalyn landing apartments ) really didn't can get 2 much info about the crime rate & that county but so far so good ; )

Last edited by Missdiva; 03-27-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,762,227 times
Brevard County has a current unemployment rate of +/- 12%, not including those who have given up on finding employment, or the chronically unemployed. This only looks to get higher with the closure of Cape Canaveral space exploration programs. Sorry, it doesn't matter what area you live, if you don't have the skills, and the area you are looking doesn't have the jobs, why put your families through the anguish?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM

25 posts, read 78,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Brevard County has a current unemployment rate of +/- 12%, not including those who have given up on finding employment, or the chronically unemployed. This only looks to get higher with the closure of Cape Canaveral space exploration programs. Sorry, it doesn't matter what area you live, if you don't have the skills, and the area you are looking doesn't have the jobs, why put your families through the anguish?

I have to agree.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Okay, 1, I HAVE thought about the move, thank you. I'm not going to just pick our family up and move them. My husband is going down there and look for a job BEFORE we move to make sure he can find something. 2, the unemployment rate down there is 11.5% whereas here where I am its 13.9%. 3, taxes here are WAY more than there. And 4, the schools are alot better. Here they are rated a 3 and there they are rated an 8! 5, it shows the housing is 6% less and utility's down there are 19% cheaper as well. So we have done homework and really love the area.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,762,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHUMPHREY1026 View Post
Okay, 1, I HAVE thought about the move, thank you. I'm not going to just pick our family up and move them. My husband is going down there and look for a job BEFORE we move to make sure he can find something. 2, the unemployment rate down there is 11.5% whereas here where I am its 13.9%. 3, taxes here are WAY more than there. And 4, the schools are alot better. Here they are rated a 3 and there they are rated an 8! 5, it shows the housing is 6% less and utility's down there are 19% cheaper as well. So we have done homework and really love the area.
Hypothetically, if we assume that your husband (your family's lone source of income) is able to secure a job for his level of skills, he will probably max out at $10 per hour in Brevard County. This is assuming a lot because $10/hr jobs are extremely scarce nationally, even rarer in the Florida economy. This would translate (in the best of circumstances) to a gross yearly income to feed a family of 6 to $19200. If you can find a rental for $800 per month plus utilities, you will have no more than $7000 to feed your family of 6 for the entire year. In other words, your family will be well below federal poverty levels for a family of 6, even with the best of circumstances.

It doesn't matter how much homework you do, if you cannot do the basic math. Unless you have a large bankroll to bring with you, or have family to offset your soon-to-be burgeoning costs, you will be destined to join the growing ranks of the Florida working poor, welfare dependent, and/or chronically unemployed.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

We do have a SUBSTANTIAL amount of savings and when we get down there I am also going to go back to work as an RN so therefore we will be fine. I have no doubt we will make it.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,770,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHUMPHREY1026 View Post
We do have a SUBSTANTIAL amount of savings and when we get down there I am also going to go back to work as an RN so therefore we will be fine. I have no doubt we will make it.
See if he can move laterally in the company. Be sure to have your jobs lined up BEFORE moving. There is never any rush, and it can mean the difference between making it and struggling.

Retail and restaurant management can be good options if you can get it. I have retail manager friends making over 50k/year in the national chains.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Ok, TriMT7 thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or