U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,125 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been doing on-line research & reading this forum, and would really like some advice! I'm planning on moving to cocoa beach this summer (July) and I've found some affordable places online (2BR to rent). I don't have a car, I currently live in a city outside of Philly & don't need one here - do I need on on the island? Also, I'm on a 50 year old woman on a fixed income raising my grandson who is 5. I'd live to find part-time work after I get him in school. My heart is set on local close to the pier & Publix, but I'd really like some good info from people already there! I can't do another winter up here and prices down at the Jersey shore and DE beaches are not in my budget. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM

181 posts, read 418,913 times
Why have you picked Cocoa Beach as your targeted new residence? Have you visited it before? Do you know the area? From what I hear from a relative that lives there, it is very difficult to find employment, full or part time. I have been there several times, and my experience would lead me to tell you that yes, a car is necessary. Although there are plenty of shopping areas spread throughout the area, I would think you need a car to transport your grandson to various functions, medical appointments, parks, etc.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM

I was in Palm Bay 2 years ago, and visited cocoa beach & loved it. I didn't love Palm Bay at all. I had a car in Palm Bay & needed it, but thought Cocoa Beach was pretty contained and very walkable/bikeable. I thought hospitality jobs would be available, though.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM

35 posts, read 81,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbound22 View Post
I was in Palm Bay 2 years ago, and visited cocoa beach & loved it. I didn't love Palm Bay at all. I had a car in Palm Bay & needed it, but thought Cocoa Beach was pretty contained and very walkable/bikeable. I thought hospitality jobs would be available, though.
They do have a bus system but it is not the most reliable way around...also alot of things you may not find right in Coca Beach and you may need to go to Melbourne or Orlando so I would say a car is denfinitly a must. Even though you can walk to most things...not everything is walking distance like in philly...blocks are much longer and bigger down here not like they are in philly Also jobs right now...no matter what kind as in almost every place are far and few inbetween ...specially if you don't have a car chances of getting a job directly in CocoaBeach would not be that great and if you did get one right in town....Cocoa Beach is a big area and not a bus or taxi, or train like in philly area

Old 04-04-2011, 01:42 PM

181 posts, read 418,913 times
You may want to place a few phone calls to various hotels (or related industry) in the area to see if they are hiring for any type of positions that you would be suited for. I have been told for the last few years, that the local hotels are maintaining a skelaton staff due to budget cuts It would be in your best interest to check before you make your decision. There continue to be layoffs in larger firms in the area down there, so I would move forward with extreme caution if you will need to rely heavily on any type of income to survive.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM

thanx 4 the info. I can get a car, but it cuts into my "survival nest egg" meaning rent $!!! Like I said, I had a car in palm bay, but i'd rather not have the maintenance, insurance, ect, ect, ect.... Is there any beach towns in FL with descent public transprt??? I guess that's one thing I'm spoiled with in the great NorthEast! Lol! I'd like to get away from the gun violence, though - absolutely. And the fact that if we stay in "the hood" my grandson is destined to become a gangster. Makes my decision to go to Cocoa Beach a no-brainer -- I don't think there's any "corner boys" there in the past 2 years -- right?! I guess it's all relative to where you're comming from!!! B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or