U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,161 times

Advertisements

From Alabama within the next year. We are planning to buy a house (2 friends and myself) around the Melbourne area. I've never been down there before but we plan on visiting soon. What kinds of things are there to do around the area? What are the utility costs like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM

181 posts, read 418,740 times
A family member used to live in Melbourne and rented a 1 bedroom apartment. The cost for the electricity, I thought, was very resonable. Florida power and Light (FPL) was great to work with in setting up and closing the accounts. I never had a problem with FPL. I believe the average monthly was around $80, depending of course, what time of the year it was. This figure was back in 2009.

I wish you well in your move to Melbourne.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 PM

111 posts, read 274,833 times
Hello!

First of all, I'd have to agree with Bluidblonde that utilities are pretty reasonable here. Unless perhaps your the type of person that keeps their house at 65 degrees (or anything cold), which will then sky rocket your electric bill greatly. But, you live in Alabama and I'm sure your well accustomed to long, humid, hot summers...and the air conditioning costs that comes along with it. My 1bdrm 1 ba apartment used to run me about $50 in the winter, and about $70 in the summer. That apartment didn't have great insulation though, and I kept the place at 78 degrees. My water bill was only around $21 – 23 a month.

Traffic is low. If you've ever lived in a “large city” you will be happily surprised by the lack of traffic congestion and the pleasant attitudes of curteous drivers (for the most part). However, you might want to consider driving down the potential roads you wish to live by around 5:30 pm work traffic. North Wickham, eastbound 192, US-1 southbound, and most of Palm Bay Rd. can get a bit congested.

I think more to consider than the cost of utilities is the distance from the ocean, in terms of looking for homes. Many insurance companies simply don't insure homes unless they are a specific # of miles inland. Even larger companies like Statefarm (parent's personal experience). Inspect the roof on any perspective home very good, because during active hurricane seasons in the past, out of state roofers came in and fixed the roofs of many homes very poorly in a hurry (such as upside down shingles). Also, it is highly recommended that you either: live on an incline, or live on a street with very good water drainage.

As for things to do, keep in mind that this is the perspective of a younger 20-something yr old, so your taste may greatly differ.

Restuarants: Not as many as I would like, but still a variety. (I'm still crossing my fingers for a Romano's Macaroni Grill!) There are a few very nice ones in downtown Melbourne (Island pasta company comes to mind), as well as very nice ones along the river (Indian River Lagoon) and by the ocean. There are chain restaurants all over town if your a fan. Fridays, Applebees, Chillis, Texas Roadhouse, etc.
Maybe "Muggums" can come in here and give some specific dining options? (I've read some good ideas from you in the past!)

There are also a number of local bars. Quite a bit actually. In fact this area was rated, to the extent of my memory, 3rd in the nation as far as alcohol sales go a few years ago. However, those "list" are always arbitrary. Some of the local bars even have live music regularaly , espcially more up towards cocoa beach/merritt island or on the beach.

There are a number of golf courses, bowling allys, movie theaters. The local King Center for Performing Arts has some good acts from time to time, located right next to the local community college of BCC. A few years ago I saw Michael Buble there! (well, more than just a few...) King Center for Performing Arts

Fishing is plentiful! - although I'm not so sure how much of it is good to eat. You might have to travel out a bit for that. I've seen some lucky/skilled fishermen that catch quite a bit though. The Sebastian Inlet is a very popular fishing area...about 25 miles south. Perhaps someone else can come along and add to/or correct me on this subject.

Families are pretty active here. Lots of little leaguers, girl/boy scouts/soccer moms and kids. There are also outside activities for the kids that are into music or the arts. The local mall (Melbourne Square mall is ok, a bit deserted though)....driving up to Viera mall is a bit pricier, but much nicer (and slightly snoody). There is also a newer outdoor mall (at this time limited # of stores) that is becoming very nice. Kohls, Marshalls, HG Gregg, a few other little stores and restaurants, and soon to be Ross. It has potential.

Of course, there is the beach. I recommend going to one a bit north or south of the one right over the bridge from 192. It can get a bit crowded, and if you travel about 10 min south, a few beaches don't have parking meters. (Not sure about northward). Cocoa Beach gets VERY crowded in the summertime! It's also nice to have a picnic right off the river with the nice breeze blowing on a hot day.

There is also a nice dog park off west Malabar Rd. according to a friend. Not sure if there are others though. The parks in general here are ok. I wouldn't swim in the lakes though like I used to as a kid. Tons of slime on the bottom. A lot of time parks are the local hangout for teenagers with nothing better to do. Sometimes its nice to watch the young kids play on whichever football/baseball little league team they are on. My personal favorite park is Wickham Park. It is large, nice, and family oriented from my experiences. Wickham park - 2500 Parkway Dr, Melbourne, FL . The area lights up (literally) every year during winter with a huge light display that cars can drive through! It's so beautiful!

Also, jobs, depending on your chosen career, are very hard to come by here. So if you need to work, have something lined up!
The area is a nice place, in my humble opinion, to live if you:
A) Have a job or some type of income
B) Like a more laid back lifestyle
C) Are the type of person that can entertain themselves and doesn't need to constantly be “entertained” by other people and places.
D) You have a vehicle or a good friend that does. The local bus system doesn't run late enough, and doesn't cover enough of town/not enough stops. Overcrowded. The city doesn't put enough resources into the bus system at all!
E) Want to get away from the chaoticness of larger cities.
F) Like, borerline Love hot/humid springs, summers, and falls.
G) Have a hurricane evacuation plan (and a flashlight!) - although, to be fair, there really hasn't been a big hurricane there in the 23 years I have lived there. Just small ones that blow shingles and tree limbs away (except for 2004..that was a crazy year!).

Lastly, at a site called Meetup.com, it shows a lot of the local religious/political/fun/educational groups and clubs in the area. Just type in Melbourne, and voila. Maybe visit one or more on your visit to get a feel for things? Or perhaps just browse the website to see what kinds of local events are going on http://www.meetup.com/ (broken link)

Good luck and take care!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,161 times
Thank you so much for the info! I'm also in my younger 20s myself (24) . Looking forward to the upcoming year

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 AM

134 posts, read 268,612 times
I hope you've got your Social Security card!

According to the SSA ' Your Social Security Card is not a form of identification. You will rarely need it. It's important that you know your Social Security Number.'

Not in Florida.

I've just moved to Florida, bought a house in Brevard and tried to get a driving licence and set up utility bills.

'You need a Social Security Card to get a driver's license'.

Why? According to SSA, it's not an ID card. Brevard County do not accept Federal (military) ID's.

'You need a Social Security Card to set up an account with Cocoa Beach for water'.

Why? According to SSA, it's not an ID card.

Florida must be the only place in the world where you need a Social Security card to get water.

What a bunch of bureaucratic tossers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County