Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times

Advertisements

I saw a shuttle launch a few years ago when I lived in Cocoa Beach, but this time I'll be driving over from Orlando for the April 29th launch. I can leave here early so that's not a problem and I don't mind hanging out for 3-4 hours afterwards to let traffic clear up somewhat.

Does anyone have some locations they like? Cross-streets or specific locations are more helpful than "along US-1" but I'll take what I can get. Also, what do folks do for bathrooms when they're out along a causeway or somewhere for 7-8 hours for a launch? Does the county/city/NASA set up port-a-johns or does everyone wade into the river / behind a bush and just go?

Ideally, I'd love to find a close location with good viewing along some water so we can throw some fishing lines in while we wait with a bathroom nearby. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, like I said, I knew what to do when I lived on the beach (walk downstairs, walk across street to the beach, watch launch, walk home), but it's a bit different this time driving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 PM

216 posts, read 951,810 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/breva...le-launch.html

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM

15 posts, read 40,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Ideally, I'd love to find a close location with good viewing along some water so we can throw some fishing lines in while we wait with a bathroom nearby. Any thoughts?
There is a place in Titusville at the intersection of Harrison Street & US 1 called the 'Miracle City Mall'. The mall is nearly vacant so there are a lot of open parking spaces. Across the highway is an empty lot owned by the city. The empty lot has a clear view and is directly across from the launch pads. The river is at the eastern end of the empty lot so you can fish while you wait for the launch. There is a Firestone Tire auto service center in the edge of the mall parking lot. They have restrooms and vending machines. I would think the mall has public restrooms too but haven't looked for them. There is also a Wendy's up the street from the vacant lot.

All of this information is based on viewing a launch from that area a couple of years ago. I can't say if anything has changed because I haven't been near that spot recently. Hope it goes for you. This may be the last one. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM

368 posts, read 928,970 times
I may be crazy but I really would like to take my 4-year-old to see this but the idea of hanging out at a remote park or on the side of the road for 5-6 hours waiting for the launch may not be do-able. I wish I could rent an RV but we don't have the $$. DH thinks I'm crazy - he says maybe if our son were 12, but not 4. Thanks for the heads-up about this mall location because if we can walk around there for awhile and not "lose our spot" it might be ideal. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
I may be crazy but I really would like to take my 4-year-old to see this but the idea of hanging out at a remote park or on the side of the road for 5-6 hours waiting for the launch may not be do-able. I wish I could rent an RV but we don't have the $$. DH thinks I'm crazy - he says maybe if our son were 12, but not 4. Thanks for the heads-up about this mall location because if we can walk around there for awhile and not "lose our spot" it might be ideal. Thanks.
One of our fondest memories is heading to Titusville area, parking in an empty lot along the river, spending the whole night waiting in anticipation for the early morning launch of the first shuttle with our 3 year old son. It was so exciting. There were hundreds of other shuttle viewers doing the same thing.
In January 1983 our youngest son was only 3 months old when we took him to his first launch and we were there for all the firsts that year( first woman, first night launch, first African -American ) that year. We didn't miss any of the flights and the kids loved it. Unfortunately the lots we always went to are now condos.
Later we had friends who worked for one of the contractors and we got passes for every launch. Then my husband worked for one of the tec companies and we got our own free passes until 911 changed things so we are back to watching from the yard or heading to the beach or something to watch.
My point.....just bring things for your child to play with, chairs, food, drinks and it is worth every minute. Since this is a day time launch you might want to just consider going to a beach for the afternoon. It will still be cool, but you won't see it till it clears the trees and buildings. I think we might hit Nicol Park up by Port St. John this time because it has a clear view from the river there.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 AM

368 posts, read 928,970 times
Default backup plan in case launch is delayed again

Thanks for the ideas. So maybe we'll head to the beach, Jetty Park (or is that too crowded?) because at least they have a playground as well so it's not like we'll be just sitting around.

Everyone is telling me not to go because it may be cancelled at the last minute and I don't want him to freak out having waited all day and then it doesn't happen. A 4-year-old will NOT understand, especially mine - you promise him something, he never forgets, lol! I don't think I'm even going to tell him until it actually is about to happen. I'm still trying to plan this out but DH says "That's what TV is for!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County