U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,742 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi!
We are moving down to Merrit Island toward the end of this year from DC area. We fell in love with the Space Coast and the tropical atmosphere. Now, there are many questions concerning living in that area.

-We have a small dog. What are the main concerns referring to wildlife? Which animals/ insects may pose a threat to a small dog and are there antivenom pills (or other medicin) available at the pharmacy for emergencies? (I'm from Europe originally so excuse me for possible misspelling :-)

-Quality restaurants in Merrit Island or near by. Which serve casual good food and which are more formal nice ones? Are there any Jazz clubs?

-Opening an art gallery for displaying modern art and scluptures is one of my options down there. Is this idea doomed before it even takes off? Which part of the town/towns near by (street, block...etc) could work for something like this? The idea is to have a small prosecco bar/art gallery/sometimes jazz tunes and small aperitivos for people passing by - especially weekends.


-I'd like to volunteer in wildlife supporting programs. Which organisations would you recommend?

Thank you! Nina
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Palm Bay, FL
334 posts, read 1,029,581 times
Reputation: 289
As for the dog - most of the dangerous animals around here are skittish and it's extremely rare that venomous snakes would bite either your dog or yourselves. The only thing you'd have to worry about are alligators. While they usually leave people alone, they do see small dogs as food. They don't attack on land. If there's a canal, lake, or other body of water that you suspect may have an alligator, keep the dog out of it. They especially go for animals splashing around on the edge. That said, alligators are rare enough that you won't encounter any during your day-to-day life. I only see them when I'm out kayaking or hiking.

The best location for an art gallery would be along New Haven Ave. in downtown Melbourne. There are a number of galleries open there already, and they host several art festivals there throughout the year. Downtown Eau Gallie also has a small but growing art community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,742 times
Reputation: 12
Default re:

Thank you very much! We will be looking forward to visit downtown Melbourne then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
 
14 posts, read 31,486 times
Reputation: 19
Hi Nina,
Welcome to Brevard County. This is a terrfic place to live.
As for your dog....First I would suggest Aloha Pet and Bird Hospital. They have a 5 Doctor staff and state of the art diagnostic equipment. They offer a casual, tropical and friendly environment and are very involved in rescue. They would be a great source for contacts regarding volunteering. 321-777-6444 I used to nurse birds and squirrels back to health for the vet.
Basically the most important things to watch for are gators, and mosquitos and ticks. (need heartworm and flea/tick preventative).
Next....there are some great dining atmospheres that offer live music of all kinds. There are cigar bars, martini clubs and of course downtown Melbourne has it all. What's nice about that is you can park and walk to many different venues. Grills, Matt's Casbah, Haru, Islands Fish Grill, Goombays, Pizza Gallery, Coconuts, many many more!

I agree with jdoty about the locations for your art gallery. Downtown Melbourne offers an avenue with many restaurants, shops, galleries and bars. They frequently have art shows there. In addition, the Eau Gallie district is where our local Art Museum is and they have nice park areas where they have Farmer's Markets and art exhibits. Cocoa Village is also a cute area with a similar feel as Down town Melbourne. There are some art galleries opening up in Viera (the newest area in Brevard).

From the sounds of it....you already have a residence here? If you need assistance with any Real Estate, I'm a licensed Realtor and have been in this area over 20 years. I'd be delighted to help. I can also provide some links for the restaurants and local culture, send me an e-mail kpenn@viera.com

Have a good one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
 
3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninani View Post
Hi!
We are moving down to Merrit Island toward the end of this year from DC area. We fell in love with the Space Coast and the tropical atmosphere. Now, there are many questions concerning living in that area.

-We have a small dog. What are the main concerns referring to wildlife? Which animals/ insects may pose a threat to a small dog and are there antivenom pills (or other medicin) available at the pharmacy for emergencies? (I'm from Europe originally so excuse me for possible misspelling :-)

-Quality restaurants in Merrit Island or near by. Which serve casual good food and which are more formal nice ones? Are there any Jazz clubs?

-Opening an art gallery for displaying modern art and scluptures is one of my options down there. Is this idea doomed before it even takes off? Which part of the town/towns near by (street, block...etc) could work for something like this? The idea is to have a small prosecco bar/art gallery/sometimes jazz tunes and small aperitivos for people passing by - especially weekends.


-I'd like to volunteer in wildlife supporting programs. Which organisations would you recommend?

Thank you! Nina
I agree Old downtown Melbourne area is a good spot but have you checked out Cocoa village? There are about 20 galleries there, too. R L Lewis has his gallery there featuring his work as well as some of the other Highwaymen artists. He is a very nice man and great to talk to. He used to teach art in Melbourne, I think.

The Eau Gallie area has a really nice Art Museum, too. Worth a visit

Here is a map of Brevard county Galleries.

Brevard Gallery Map

as for guestion about volunteering-Check out

STPS - Volunteer Page
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
 
12 posts, read 26,092 times
Reputation: 22
I know this thread is trending in a different direction, but I would be very interested in some of your opinions on the S. Tropical Trail area. I live in Hong Kong, and my family and I are going to be traveling to the area in July to buy a house. I really like this area, but am wondering if we would be better suited on MI or beachside in Cocoa Beach/Satellite Beach area. I will still be working from Hong Kong for a week each month, so I want a place that is comfortable for my wife (French), and three small children. Thanks for your input, and sorry for stealing the OPs thread!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM
 
3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunch14 View Post
I know this thread is trending in a different direction, but I would be very interested in some of your opinions on the S. Tropical Trail area. I live in Hong Kong, and my family and I are going to be traveling to the area in July to buy a house. I really like this area, but am wondering if we would be better suited on MI or beachside in Cocoa Beach/Satellite Beach area. I will still be working from Hong Kong for a week each month, so I want a place that is comfortable for my wife (French), and three small children. Thanks for your input, and sorry for stealing the OPs thread!!
Tropical Trail is on Merritt Island. The Trail sort of stretches from the unicorporated town of Merrit Island where most of the population on the island/peninsula live to the barrier island at Mathers Bridge. I say Merritt Island /peninsula bacause I am not sure if it is still an island. I wouldn't hesitate to live on South Tropical Trail at all. It is a nice scenic area along the Indian River . There are lots of beautiful houses along the narrow sort of winding road. Many are waterfront and in some areas probably have water in the front and rear of their property.

Living in Sattelite Beach or Cocoa Beach is also not a bad place to live. In C.B. and S B. there will be city government, city police, fire and rescue etc. On the Trail or anywhere on Merrit Island you would have county for police, fire, etc. . In C.B. and SB you probably can have city water and maybe sewer, but on the Trail it will probably be well with a septic system.

Not sure which school you would go to from S. Tropical Trail . It probably depends on how far south the house is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
 
12 posts, read 26,092 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Tropical Trail is on Merritt Island. The Trail sort of stretches from the unicorporated town of Merrit Island where most of the population on the island/peninsula live to the barrier island at Mathers Bridge. I say Merritt Island /peninsula bacause I am not sure if it is still an island. I wouldn't hesitate to live on South Tropical Trail at all. It is a nice scenic area along the Indian River . There are lots of beautiful houses along the narrow sort of winding road. Many are waterfront and in some areas probably have water in the front and rear of their property.

Living in Sattelite Beach or Cocoa Beach is also not a bad place to live. In C.B. and S B. there will be city government, city police, fire and rescue etc. On the Trail or anywhere on Merrit Island you would have county for police, fire, etc. . In C.B. and SB you probably can have city water and maybe sewer, but on the Trail it will probably be well with a septic system.

Not sure which school you would go to from S. Tropical Trail . It probably depends on how far south the house is.
Thanks very much for the response. I lived in Orlando and on Hutchinson Island near Ft. Pierce several years ago. I'm familiar with the Cocoa Beach, MI area, as I used to fly into the airport on MI regularly. I also like Tropical Trail, and many of the houses there. I think I may be more inclined to go beachside though, as there will be more to do for the family. Please, keep the advise coming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM
 
3 posts, read 8,742 times
Reputation: 12
Default Thank you and more..

Great information and very much appreciated! Thank you everyone. I visited old town Melbourne and it was very quaint. There seem to be multiple galleries which is always preferable for establishing a new one.

How ever, I didn't visit Cocoa Village yet. I guess visiting Viera is the last odyssey to know more and to make the final desicion. The economy might not be the best at the moment, since art is the first thing people leave out when times are bad.

Thank you also for the info about animal rescue volunteering. If anything else comes to mind please feel free to write more and share your expertice. This area seems really overwhelming for what comes to things to do and to see! It is clearly a great priviledge to live there and breathe the salty, healthy coastal air.

Nina
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
 
9 posts, read 16,204 times
Reputation: 10
Hi Nina,

I just stumbled on this posting. My mom volunteers a few days a week at the Central Florida Animal Reserve in Sharpes. It's mostly a big-cat rescue and other wild animals that were taken in as pets and then abandoned. Obviously, they can't be let back into the wild, so they go to CFAR. My mom loves it and finds it really fulfilling. They might be moving to a bigger property in the future, but I'm unclear about all of that. Here's their website: Welcome to the Central Florida Animal Reserve (CFAR) - Big Cat Reserve and Sanctuary

Take care!
Jenny
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top