U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 PM

216 posts, read 807,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
HurricaneA - Can you give me some info on the cities that the OP listed? We are relocating in Dec. (hubby working out of Orlando Airport) and would greatly appreciate additional info. I don't need any school info, though...We were initially thinking about Cocoa, but would like to consider other nearby cities as well.
Thanks a bunch!
If your husband is working at Orlando Airport, why do you want to live in Brevard County? Just curious - there are lots of places in Orlando that would be closer and nicer. Lake Nona would be a top choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM

41 posts, read 114,091 times
She is right. Brevard County is quite a distance from OIA...

Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,676,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneA View Post
Palm Bay is dying also. Houses are cheap, but my parents keep saying there is a reason for it. My mom has a swimming pool company in the area and she dislikes Palm Bay. Melbourne is nice. Merritt Island only one section of town is "icky" and that is mainly between Easy Street and Players lane which runs along N. Tropical Trail. S. Tropical Trail is a nice area
Palm Bay is not dying.....Yes, there is a lot of empty houses, but most of those are the 2nd and 3rd + house that people from elsewhere bought thinking they could make a profit and then got stuck with them when the economy busted everywhere. Most of the people who have lived here have not lost their homes-unless they bought more than they could afford in the first place.
A lot of people who used to use pool cleaning companies and lawn services have cut back and do it themselves, but we have family in both and both companies are managing just fine through the down time.....

Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
She is right. Brevard County is quite a distance from OIA...

But if they choose up by Cocoa or Titusville it is only about 1/2 hour tetter schools here in Brevard. Also being half way to the beach for the family will make it easier to get to airport so not a lot different than driving from most sections of Orlando on busy I-4 and 528 or Sandlake to get to the airport. A lot less traffic and they will probably find better schools here in Brevard and already be at least half way to the beach for the family to enjoy.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Palm Bay is not dying.....Yes, there is a lot of empty houses, but most of those are the 2nd and 3rd + house that people from elsewhere bought thinking they could make a profit and then got stuck with them when the economy busted everywhere. Most of the people who have lived here have not lost their homes-unless they bought more than they could afford in the first place.
A lot of people who used to use pool cleaning companies and lawn services have cut back and do it themselves, but we have family in both and both companies are managing just fine through the down time.....
I did not mean dying as in people losing their homes. I meant dying as in there is not much of a new influx, from what I have seen they people who live there have been there a while. In fact a lot of brevard county is "hurting" with the ending of the space program. Palm Bay is no different it is just less affected.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,035,712 times
Quote:
But if they choose up by Cocoa or Titusville it is only about 1/2 hour tetter schools here in Brevard. Also being half way to the beach for the family will make it easier to get to airport so not a lot different than driving from most sections of Orlando on busy I-4 and 528 or Sandlake to get to the airport. A lot less traffic and they will probably find better schools here in Brevard and already be at least half way to the beach for the family to enjoy.
Yep. If affordability, good schools, and proximity to the beach are important aspects, then living some place like Viera, Rockledge, or even Cocoa Beach/Merritt Island is not a bad option. It's just 30 minutes on 528 (sorry...I can't bring myself to say "Beachline" in conversation) and you avoid all of the Orlando local traffic.

If you are going further into Orlando for work...a different story altogether. But going to work at MCO...great option imho.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM

216 posts, read 807,974 times
Quote:
HurricaneA specifically said she didn't need school info. I agree Brevard schools are better than Orange, no doubt. But if school isn't an issue AND hubby works at OIA, then Orlando is probably a better choice, unless she wants to be closer to the beach. That is why I asked her why she was choosing Brevard, her answer to that would help us all give her better assistance.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 AM

I do not even remember posting anything about schools after she asked :O oops

Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I do not even remember posting anything about schools after she asked :O oops
I think that I got mixed up because the OP(original Poster) was melnjosh18 and HIS family is moving to Brevard. He is the one that asked about the cities ratings. The OP is a family post so that means kids in school so that is why posters are mentioning school.

Then another poster sort of hi-jacked the thread and said they were also thinking of moving here and that the husband worked at OIA.
They are the ones not worried about our great schools so references to schools is because of the original OP . I for 1 got the 2 separate posters mixed up and lumped them into the OP thread as 1. Sorry.

and then someone else got mixed up and thought you mentioned schools and it was posters like me that did that. LOL Lots of confusion going on with 2 posts-one family and 1 not....LOL

But as for Central and North Brevard areas around 50, 528, or 520 it is just about a half hour drive into the airport or areas of Orlando so not as long a drive as living in Kissimmee, North suburbs, or down by Disney etc during heavy traffic times on 4. Won't take much longer and an easier drive as far as I am concerned. I also would NEVER live in the center part of the state. Too far from the ocean......

Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 AM

The center part is fine...but then again I burn in 10 minutes so beach is not my 1st idea of places to go. Always try to avoid 4 on peak traffic times :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or