U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,907 times

Advertisements

So my husband my 3yr old and I are moving to the area in june or so. We want an upper to upper middle class feel, and not to much traffic. We are very outdoorsy and active, and love the beach. So what is the difference between Satalite bch, indian harbour bch, and melbourn bch. In lifestyle, crime, small town feel>? I have read a thousand threads and no one has broken down the three. I want to walk to the park, bch, library, grocery with my son in tow. or even bikeride.

Please help I've got to narrow this down soon
cyndi
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 05:41 PM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchall View Post
So my husband my 3yr old and I are moving to the area in june or so. We want an upper to upper middle class feel, and not to much traffic. We are very outdoorsy and active, and love the beach. So what is the difference between Satalite bch, indian harbour bch, and melbourn bch. In lifestyle, crime, small town feel>? I have read a thousand threads and no one has broken down the three. I want to walk to the park, bch, library, grocery with my son in tow. or even bikeride.

Please help I've got to narrow this down soon
cyndi
OK, I will give you my take on the 3 towns. I live on the mainland, but spend a lot of time in all 3 places.

To me.... Melbourne Beach is sort of like a North East Beach town. It is definitely a small town, but probably is a little more expensive to live in. It is basically only a couple blocks from the river to the ocean on this part of the island. It has a big park and it can look really idyllic at times. Some mornings you will see old men playing horsehoes or shuffleboard, sitting playing checkers or chess, and some just talking. There will be moms and dads with their kids in the playground area having fun, people on the dock looking at the fish and wildlife and lots of people getting their morning stroll or run. The houses are not all new but interesting. There is one little shopping center in town and almost everything is located on the corner that has a stop light. There is a Publix shopping center south of town on A1A. Bank, library, gas, small grocery stores, restaurants are all walkable from the stoplight. People have always been friendly to me, but have heard friends who live in Indiatlantic say the people in Melbourne Beach can be a little snooty. I would love to live there, though.

I don't see a lot of difference in Satellite and Indian Harbor Beach. On the river you will find the bigger , fancier homes-maybe even fancier than the ones on the beach. Mostly condos on the beaches in both of these towns--with a few houses and hotels thrown in. To tell you the truth I am not even sure where one town begins and the other ends except SB has the high school and Publix shopping center and it is closer to the airforce base. People are friendly in both towns. You could walk around in either town, but to get to the beach from most of the town you have to walk across A1A and there really aren't a lot of cross walks. You are closer to recreation and stores on the mainland or in Cocoa Beach from both of these towns than from Melbourne Beach. A little more city feeling in the 2 towns then I feel in Melbourne Beach . Schools beach side are all pretty good. Beach down by Melbourne Beach is more of a sandy beach while the beaches in Indian Harbor and Satellite have rocks off shore that can scrape your legs but only in some areas....I would gladly live in either one of these towns, too.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,907 times
wow! That was exactly the imfo I needed. I thought I liked the feel of Melbourne bch before, but now I'm convinced. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Small, but active. We can difinately afford it.
Thank you so much for such a great reply

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 AM

55 posts, read 209,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian6 View Post
Update....started off focused on Viera/West of I-95. Was hoping to see a 2500+ Sq/Ft home with a pool below 300k, sadly we saw homes in the range but without a pool. Additionally, was informed by realtor that VA will not cover adding a pool to an existing home or new construction. Was told they all can escrow money for the pool when using a conventional loan, but not VA or FHA. The pool would be built after closing in this case. Did see a Bank Owned home (3500 Sq/Ft with pool) and it was exactly what we were looking for go under contract for 265k. Really makes me question the price tags of the other homes. The Viera/West of I-95 is incredibly appealing (new, schools, close to shopping, parks, I-95) but if I cant get what I want I may have to venture across the highway.

I am a ret Veteran and, I do not know what realtor told you that. You can buy an existing home on VA that has a pool. Please get another realtor(Pruitt real estate company can help with that for you-ask for Crystal) or buy it through your own bank is best! Viera is nice for the area you are moving to and please hook up with AVET PROJECT they are a local non-profit military/veteran organization.Garren Cone is the founder. (Tell them Combatcowgirl sent you-they will help you out and your family and are out of PAFB)
For 2011 another great place, with traffic within about 20-30min to PAFB is in Palm Bay, Florida that connects to Melbourne, Viera, Rockledge, Cocoa and only within approx. 1 hour to most all major attractions and within a couple hrs to Miami, Jacksonville, and many other hot Florida spots and one hr from Orlando, Tampa is about 1.25 hrs. I am a Florida native with much experience at living in various areas (early retired due to disabilities from serving our country in Iraq) .
God bless, thanks for serving brother and check out the Brevard Zoo (has new areal rides there, then there's the Palm Bay/Bayside Equestrian place and, many weekly things listed in the Florida Today paper under "calendar of events"
edit ad-you can get all you are looking for in Palm Bay for less than 200k !

Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 15,346 times
Hey everyone, great posts and glad to see all the positive comments. For us, we just contracted a home in Viera west of I-95 in a development called Cortona. My wife truly loved the layout of the house, (approx. 2700 sq ft) the large lot (.42 acre) and location to everything (new schools, stadium). Also, it's only 15 mins to the beach and work, 40 mins to Orlando and 1.5 hrs to the grandparents...perfect. The only snag was having the pool built during construction. The contracted pool builder was an absolute pain so we are getting the pool post construction with another company...no problem. Can't wait for everything to be built.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,035,789 times
Awesome...glad it worked out for you & your family. Thats a really cool area with a lot of good stuff for the family right there. Good luck in the move & I think you really can't go wrong there.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 PM

104 posts, read 221,297 times
Sounds great. Glad everything is working out for you. Enjoy your new home.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
Cool Home information? Relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian6 View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm in the military, married, have two boys (ages: 8/10) and was recently notified we are transferring to Patrick AFB/Melbourne. This will be my last move since I will be retiring in 3 years and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on where to settle down in the area. I've heard Viera (East/West?) and Merritt Island (North/South?) are nice but other than that I've heard anything else. I will be looking for homes in the price range up to approx. $350k and good schools are a must. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hello- I am the owner of a brokerage firm on the Space Coast and I work with a lot of people relocating here from other places (a lot of them are also in the military). I would love to help you find the perfect place but would need some additional information if you are willing to provide? There are very good deals here but you have to move quick on the good ones because they are going fast. Cheers!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM

4,896 posts, read 3,882,653 times
You are almost two years too late with your first post and may be violating C-D terms of service by trolling for business here. Try providing some useful info about our area and maybe someone will ask you for your help.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 26,800 times
Viera is a very built up and new area with beautiful schools. Their grades were standard last year but there are promises of new curriculum this year coming year.
We call Port St. John home. There are five schools, all of which are A schools and one year round school, one academic advanced for prek-6. The town is mostly homes with no "down" areas. Have a look on brevardmls.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County