Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 77,332 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be visiting Melbourne for a week around Christmas time and I'm looking for family friendly things to do OTHER than Disney and NASA.

By 'family friendly' I mean not too expensive, something my little monsters don't have to sit still for, and either within a 2 hour drive from Melbourne or with inexpensive family hotels available for an overnight.

I see several islands, lakes, and bays that look promising and I'm curious about Pelican Island Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. I also wonder if there are parks with battleships, subs, airplanes to explore. Maybe there are Christmas things planned actually in Melbourne as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,336 times
There is always the zoo to see in Melbourne.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,593 times
We have a nice children's museum in Daytona Beach as well as the Nascar museum. We are about an hour north of Melbourne. St. Augustine is a little less than two hours north of there and their downtown Christmas lights and decorations are very beautiful and unique. The whole family would probably enjoy that.

Nancy

Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Sebastian State Park due south on A1A. Fantasy of Flight on I-4 near Lakeland.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 AM

The lights in St. Augustine and Fantasy of Flight are definitely added to our itinerary. Even the disgruntled teenager should enjoy the planes, so thanks!

Does anyone know what's to do at any of the local lakes? Any bird migrations or just a couple that are especially scenic for walking and a picnic?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,336 times
You might want to go here if you are interested in seeing some wild life and Fl birds-

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Titusville Florida

Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Thanks a lot!!!! My mom has recently moved there and doesn't know what's good yet so hasn't been able to recommend much for our Christmas invasion plan.

FYI, on the list for our week long stay is 1 day at Disney, the rest for kicking around the beach/hanging in Melbourne, Merritt Island, Flight of Fantasy, and I hope Mom and I might convince the bah-humbug crowd to do Christmas lights in St Augustine.

Thanks so much for your help and recommendations. This morning I was able to give Mom a coherent plan so she isn't stressing over how to keep us all happy and occupied.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:52 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijewell View Post
Thanks a lot!!!! My mom has recently moved there and doesn't know what's good yet so hasn't been able to recommend much for our Christmas invasion plan.

FYI, on the list for our week long stay is 1 day at Disney, the rest for kicking around the beach/hanging in Melbourne, Merritt Island, Flight of Fantasy, and I hope Mom and I might convince the bah-humbug crowd to do Christmas lights in St Augustine.

Thanks so much for your help and recommendations. This morning I was able to give Mom a coherent plan so she isn't stressing over how to keep us all happy and occupied.
There are lots of fun things to do here in Melbourne area.

You could do the nature walk in Turkey Creek Sanctuary in Palm Bay. There are a few trails/boardwalks to walk , a beautiful creek full of turtles with a chance to see a manatee or gator. There is a small nature center where the little ones might enjoy the hands on exhibits. You can canoe on the creek, but they don't rent them.

Turkey Creek Sanctuary

Also in Palm Bay go to the boat dock in Goode park and you can usually see manatees that come right up to the dock.

We also have Andretti theme Park .

Welcome to Andretti Thrill Park

You could go on an airboat ride on the St. John's river.

For a unique adventure head out to the small park at the Stick marsh for a picnic, go bass fishing( catch and release), watch the boats and airboats, and gator watch.

Stick Marsh/FARM 13

Go to the Brevard Zoo- it is actually pretty cool. There is a train, you can kayak and even feed the giraffes for penny's compared to what you have to pay at Busch Gardens.

Brevard Zoo | Melbourne, Florida

Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 17,199 times
I agree, the brevard zoo is fantastic!!!! In my mid 20's and I still enjoy it every time I go! You can even feed the giraffe!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,136 times
You can usually see a bunch of manatees that time of year at the C-54 dam in the San Sebastian River Preserve State Park. Go South on Babcock St to the far southern part of Brevard County. There's a park sign and a visitor center to the left just before you cross the C-54 canal into Indian River County. Drive east past the visitor center down the dirt road, under I-95, until it ends at the dam. There's a bunch of good hiking back there too if that's your thing, the visitor center has maps. And unlike most state parks, it's free to get in.

Here's a map of the entrance to the park.

I've heard that Manatees also hang out at the warm water discharge areas of the power plants up in Pt. St. John, but I've never been there personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County