U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 36,915 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering moving to the Melbourne/Palm Bay area next year. I've looked at companies that build new homes in the area and I've looked at some older homes. I'm a little lost as to which is the better route to go. The new homes are obviously more expensive, where as the older homes seem to be all over the place price-wise.

We're just starting our search, so right now it's all been via the web. Once we're ready to pull the trigger, we'll obviously call in an expert! In the mean time, I'm just wondering why there's such a big price difference for older homes? I can pull one up that's 2300 sq feet and it's listed at $219,000 or at $169,000...is it all location?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM

22,465 posts, read 33,321,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat22885 View Post
My fiance and I are considering moving to the Melbourne/Palm Bay area next year. I've looked at companies that build new homes in the area and I've looked at some older homes. I'm a little lost as to which is the better route to go. The new homes are obviously more expensive, where as the older homes seem to be all over the place price-wise.

We're just starting our search, so right now it's all been via the web. Once we're ready to pull the trigger, we'll obviously call in an expert! In the mean time, I'm just wondering why there's such a big price difference for older homes? I can pull one up that's 2300 sq feet and it's listed at $219,000 or at $169,000...is it all location?
It is absolutely all about location and neighborhood. New doesn't mean better as few-year old neighborhoods can go downhill fast without upkeep, while well-established/well-kept neighborhoods built 50 years ago or more have higher values and better resale than the cookie-cutter disposable homes that so many people have become so fond of. Drive the neighborhoods and see for yourself, not just the block of the listing but surrounding blocks as well. If homes aren't kept freshly painted and well landscaped, it's a pretty good sign of how the neighborhood is going to trend for home value and resale. The key word is established, new construction in my opinion is a crap-shoot. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,833,053 times
Exclamation Same Situation!!

On my last visit to Florida...Aug-1010...my wife and I looked at several re-sale homes that we had found on line as well as several new homes...that were in the general area's of where we were looking......to get a new home with the same space/options...we had to spend another 100-150 thousand......not exactly a happy option...Of course...alot of the re-sale's needed work and as you said...varied greatly in prices...

What I have noticed is that many of the resales have dropped in price and the new homes have not......many of the older homes...especially more than 10 years old...may not be insurable without certain upgrades...and then of course you have the Chinese Drywall Problem on some houses...just google it if you never heard of it...I have been told that the insurance companies in Florida are forcing you to buy a Chinese Drywall policy on any re-sale home...

My thoughts...I will keep looking on-line just to see what is going on...but when it comes time to buy...I'll be doing alot more leg work then I thought I would have to!!!!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
i know the Palm Bay market well because I have lived here for so long. I currently have my home for sale (brevardmls.com)look for 471 Mercer st. N.W.It is a beautiful home! Any way, the reason the huge discrepancy is how desperate the seller is willing to go down to. It's not so much about location as it is about how fast the seller wants to get out.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,681,490 times
Better to buy new or lived in before home?

One of advantage of buying used home......Some things are already done and you won't have the expense right away.
1. Fenced yard. Don't have to spend the$$$$ to fence it
2. Yard already landscaped with at least grass growing in front and back.
3. Pool already built and included in price.
4. Sometimes when you buy new first you have to buy the lot, then the price of the home.....often the resale of home and land is basically just the price of the home and land just included in price and lower than original price now so the owners can move.
5. Curtain rods or even window coverings like blinds etc are already up so you just have to add what you want instead of spending $$$$ on blinds.
6. Closets and garage may already come updated with storage and shelving etc.
7. Screen enclosure may already be up.

Advantage of new:
1. Can do everything your way for a price.
2. Have to pay to live somewhere else while home is built.
3. May have to deal with dust, noise, and more insects/ animals while the area is cleared and homes are being built in the neighborhood.

One piece of advice I regret in our choices.....make sure there is city water and sewer even though you will have larger water and sewer bills. I hate well water! You have to buy the system to make it usuable-we spent over $2000 for it at house our son lives in and water is still yucky and we have to add chlorine. We never drank it and ended up even bringing water in for cooking because it even made veggies and spaghetti taste funny. It also turns toilets and sinks yellow even with regular cleaning. The well pump they put in did not have enough pressure to make ice and have water for the filtered water for the frig. either. We also had to buy new water heater within 4 or 5 years, a part of the air conditioning the water ruined, and a new well pump within 6 years of owning the house. We probably spent $200 a month bringing in bottled water for taking with us everywhere and the water brought in the jugs. It is so much cheaper with city water'but we still have septic which costs us about $500 every 3-4 years to have pumped. We just found out we have roots in the drain field so are facing a $5-$6000 fix.
As for septic......hate it. You can't use bleach or a garbage disposal is not reccommended. You have to have it pumped about every 4-5 years to be safe. You can't use the section of your yard deemed the drain field. And if the drain field gets roots it is a $5-10,000 fix.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM

9,642 posts, read 12,071,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat22885 View Post

The Palm Bay area (So. Melbourne) has always been a 'mixed bag' of varied building standards, overbuilt spec houses, often inadequate or ill maintained roads/sewers, etc.. Additionally, Palm Bay is so spread-out that maintaining access to reasonable traffic thoroughfares for work, schools, shopping, beaches, etc, can be an issue.

You will definitely need to move beyond the internet to more fully appreciate the area (BTW, we spent the last 27 years living beachside in the Melbourne area (Satellite Beach, Indian Harbor Beach, Indialantic). In those areas, traffic is restricted by the river-to-ocean size of the barrier islands. IMO, that is the best area of Melbourne/Brevard County to live (prices are as affordable as Palm Bay, plus the neighborhoods seem far more 'livable' to me.)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,255,957 times
We're headed down again next month. We've also been expanding our horizons a bit, and as you say, trying to stay within access to the major lanes and roadways, particularly causeways.

In addition to some areas in Satellite Beach and Viera, we are looking at some places in Merritt Island. The first venture is on S. Courtnay Parkway, which has several neighborhoods we've not seen. Just a tour really, nothing too serious. I'm gathering information now for the approximate property taxes, HOA areas to avoid, and of course, dreaded homeowner's insurance.

I have some time to kill, so even short sales are in the mix at this point.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM

587 posts, read 972,677 times
How long is a piece of string?

what do you want?

When you talk about "access to the major lanes and roadways, particularly causeways." What do you imagine is going to happen?

Do you think that the whole damned world is going to grind to a halt?

(That probably happens every third Monday and Wednesday in Snowbird season, plus the occasional Tuesday and Thursday when the traffic jams extend as far North as New Jersey)

Sorry It's a well-known fact that the whole world (Well, the bit around Melbourne) grinds to a halt about 47 times a day when people drive over the bridges/causeways.

If you don't believe me, find somebody else and give him a laugh.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
I have some time to kill, so even short sales are in the mix at this point.
I think you'll have a good deal if you really include this one on your search. Goodluck!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,255,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
How long is a piece of string?

what do you want?

When you talk about "access to the major lanes and roadways, particularly causeways." What do you imagine is going to happen?

Do you think that the whole damned world is going to grind to a halt?

(That probably happens every third Monday and Wednesday in Snowbird season, plus the occasional Tuesday and Thursday when the traffic jams extend as far North as New Jersey)

Sorry It's a well-known fact that the whole world (Well, the bit around Melbourne) grinds to a halt about 47 times a day when people drive over the bridges/causeways.

If you don't believe me, find somebody else and give him a laugh.

Not sure where you're going there.

What I meant is that I want fairly easy access to go where I want. I've been there quite a bit, so I know the place I want/need to travel to. Proximity/location is an important feature if you're at all active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County