Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,035 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

A potential job offer has us scouting the Melbourne area. We live in Northern Virginia in a very nice neighborhood with 2 kids (Middle and Elementary School ages). Where should we start looking for a neighborhood that has the best schools, kids in the age ranges of ours, summer swim team, etc?

It's a tall order as we really don't want to move, but if we have to I want to be prepared.

Thanks for all the input.

Angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times
Angie,
My husband and 3 children and I are moving there next summer. Since I will have one in elementary, one in middle and one in high, and a husband who's a teacher, schools are the priority! After research, which includes talking with a school psychologist who works there, the beachside schools seem to be the best. Also, she had great things to say about Viera High School. I'm going to be watching this forum too, hoping for more feedback from the locals! Good luck to you and your family!

Elizabeth

Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,326 times
I'd look into the Lake Washington/Post Rd area of Melbourne, Veira/Suntree, or Indiatlantic/Satellite Beach. My favorite neighorhood is Windover Farms which is on the north side of Post Rd and thus in the Viera High School zone.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl367 View Post
I'd look into the Lake Washington/Post Rd area of Melbourne, Veira/Suntree, or Indiatlantic/Satellite Beach. My favorite neighorhood is Windover Farms which is on the north side of Post Rd and thus in the Viera High School zone.
I'd second this suggestion. If you find that you cannot afford these areas...then start looking further but you should look at these areas first as they are likely to feel most comfortable to a newcomer & have the best schools.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM

19 posts, read 101,392 times
Default Beachside or Viera/Suntree

The best-ranked schools are beachside (Melbourne Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour Beach and Satellite Beach) and in Viera/Suntree. You really can't go wrong with the schools there. Between the two areas, the real choice is do you want to live by the beach or in a newer area with lots of new houses and chain stores? The only potential drawback to Viera/Suntree is the plan to build a lot more houses at some point; I'm not sure what impact that would have on the schools there. Of course, in this economy, that isn't likely to happen soon.

We moved beachside three years ago from California and have two kids at Indialantic Elementary School. The educational experience has been great.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 AM

24 posts, read 22,551 times
To the OP, I've been to NoVa several times (have close relatives in the Alexandria, Va., area) and I can tell you that the closest thing you'll find in Brevard County with that NoVa feel (if you want to call it that) is the Suntree/Viera area. Very nice housing developments and quite a few master-planned communities in and around the area. Very good A-rated schools. The district and Viera High School right now is involved in a major shake-up, but you have middle-school students, so that shouldn't affect you just yet. You may want to go to FloridaToday.com and read about it.Cocoa Beach Jr./Sr. High is also an excellent school. It has an I.B. program and I'm sure, well, unfortunately, with all of the shuttle workers being laid off and moving out of the area, I KNOW you can find some great beachside real estate for a great price. If all else fails, the area has excellent private schools with reasonably-priced tuition... Holy Trinity, Florida Air Academy.
Overall, it's laid back and beachy. Doesn't have the feel of "everything at your fingertips" like in NoVa. You'll have to go to Orlando for nightlife, shopping and a lot of other things that are more exciting, but it's an OK community. Hope that helps!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,072 times
Hi,
Just went under contract for a home in Melbourne,off of post road in a division called Greystone. It looks pretty and I heard Longleaf Elementary is a great school. I have a sister in Merritt Island and a neice in Indian Harbour. I just sold my home in Boca Raton. Originally from Buffalo,can't handle Boca/Lauderdale anymore. Too crowded,too materialistic,too transient,too much crime,everyone seems to be out for themselves only,everyone speaks Spanish and they don't try any longer to learn English.I have been here 35 years ,I'm 51. I have a daughter 9 yrs old and feel there is no sense of community here. I hope Melbourne works out. I looked beachside but the homes are so sprinkled. The homes are old and people have either fixed them up or left them a wreck.Eventually 10-20 yrs the home will be worth money if you're young enough. I have lived on The Galt Ocean Mile in fort Lauderdale prior to my child. The 2 areass do not compare. Also,Boca has HOA (home owners association) which is very costly 300 and up per month . It gets to be a pain in the a... Just about all of Palm Beach County has HOA. I think it is very costly for what you really get. Nice weather can be had anywhere in Florida without the costs. I am just torn about Melbourne or Buffalo (lancaster). North has far better school but very high taxes which means less of a house. What do ya'll think?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:21 AM

90 posts, read 175,161 times
How did things turn out?
Are the schools what you thought?

update?

I have alot of the same questions

Old 10-05-2014, 06:05 AM

19 posts, read 24,153 times
You can go to brevardmls.com to look for homes, it is the mls fot the county. Go to the top right on maps and overlay the schools. You can actually live in south merritt island and go to school in satellite beach. I prefer schools in Viera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County