U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM

69 posts, read 180,917 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Chicago, but I've been there many times... definitely not a fan of the homeless people hanging out in doorways everywhere you turn. Though you probably get that with any metro area, huh?

Speaking of which, how's the homeless population in Brevard? Also, is there any issue with drugs in that area?

Oh, the random questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 AM

54 posts, read 112,919 times
There are homeless people, but mostly I've only encountered a few in downtown Melbourne and it's not a big deal. I've never been really panhandled or anything like that. I haven't seen any homeless around the beaches themselves, I'm sure there are some, but it's not really an issue. Drugs are about the same. You definitely have people with drug issues, but it's not an out of control issue and is probably a typical amount for the population. I moved to Melbourne back in March and go to Cocoa Beach all the time (trying to learn to surf and failing). I've yet to feel unsafe. When you move here, you kinda figure out where the good parts and bad parts are in the area. I think being a surfer, you will really like it here. It's laid back and relatively cheap to live and I've found the people to be very nice, at least a lot nicer than where I moved from.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM

119 posts, read 189,300 times
so not to the op but the previous poster, there's nowhere to surf in melbourne beach?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 AM

The op was discussing moving to Cocoa Beach, so that's why I referenced it. I personally like to surf at 16th St. in Cocoa Beach because of the sandbar, but there are several good places to surf all over the area, especially Mel Beach.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,678,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william29 View Post
so not to the op but the previous poster, there's nowhere to surf in melbourne beach?
Ocean Ave is a surfing site as is the Spessard Hollands and Coconut if the waves are coming in. My sons learned to surf at Coconut because there wasn't a lot of people to watch them fail. LOL From Melbourne Beach it is just a short drive down to Spanish House and Sebastian Inlet.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM

69 posts, read 180,917 times
Another random question: Are there chain stores like Wal-Mart, Publix, Target, JC Penny, and other places like those within driving distance? (I'm sure there are, but just asking.)

Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM

There are Publix and Winn Dixies all over the area as well as CVS and Walgreens. There's a mall, Target, and Wal Mart at Merritt Island which is close to Cocoa Beach (One at Melbourne as well, but it's a bit farther).

Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 PM

19 posts, read 46,640 times
The area is not unsafe, but don't kid yourself -- bad things can happen there. You mentioned Cape Canaveral, and that city has some areas affectionately called "crack canaveral" by the locals. Most of it is concentrated around apartments on streets named after dead presidents. And a couple years back a girl was gang raped in the Ron Jon's parking lot after the gang beat her boyfriend nearly to death, so Cocoa Beach is not immune either.

Jobs may be a big problem. There aren't many good paying jobs, and most young people around here are really struggling. Not sure what you'd be doing for a living, just throwing that out there.

Some of the beach communities further south are less touristy and closer to functional employment in Melbourne. You might consider Satellite Beach (has some minor crime problems and the cops are real ball busters), Indialantic, Indian Harbor Beach, and if you have enough money you can go to my favorite -- Melbourne Beach.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 9,473 times
i live in cape.. surf all the time.. there a reason we call it Crack Canaveral.. this place has alot of worthless ****s, but alotta chill people too.. There is a pill epidemic here, you see pillheads EVERYWHERE.. so dont be suprised when you meet someone who u think is cool and then u find out your ipod is missing.. chances are they were trying to find some roxy to shoot up... best bet move to cocoa beach or better yet MELBOURNE BEACH, south melbourne beach that is surf country.. but not gonna lie i like it here when there is waves, but other then that Brevard sucks ass when your not in the water.. no nightlife if your under 21 unless your a local... if your over 21 have fun, you will get a dui if you drive because there is a sheriff posted up every 2 blocks who will pull you over because your young.. i mean if you like the beach like i do its cool, but trust me after 6 months you will get kinda bored... i skate around for hours just becuase there isnt nothing to do sometimes... the pier alright though, alotta people there.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 43,239 times
Since surfing is your thing, consider living south of Patrick Airforce Base, just south of Cocoa. I dont know if you are planning on buying or renting. I live in Indialantic another beachside community. Some of the best surfing can be found in Brevard County. Melbourne Beach is more expensive but has some good waves.

Here is a google link to surfing in Brevard Co.

Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or