U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM

69 posts, read 180,895 times

Advertisements

I am considering a future move to the Cocoa Beach area, and I have a couple of questions. I visited Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral not long ago, and thought it was pretty nice, but I was only there for a couple of days.

What's the overall opinion?

Is it a good area for a family with teens?

Is it safe?

How safe is the surfing in the area?

Are there malls and chain restaurants within a 20 minute drive or so?

Is there a decent amount of things to do in the area without driving an hour to Orlando?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer-Girl View Post
I am considering a future move to the Cocoa Beach area, and I have a couple of questions. I visited Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral not long ago, and thought it was pretty nice, but I was only there for a couple of days.

What's the overall opinion?

Is it a good area for a family with teens?

Is it safe?

How safe is the surfing in the area?

Are there malls and chain restaurants within a 20 minute drive or so?

Is there a decent amount of things to do in the area without driving an hour to Orlando?

Thank you!
Personally, I like Cocoa Beach. One thing that will become evident once you live there, this is an area where you live but not an all inclusive town like a lot of areas up North where the next town might be 30 miles away. . Here in Brevard County you might live in 1 town, work in a different town, kids go to school in a different town, might go to a doctor in a different town, get your hair cut in another town, go out to eat in the next town, get your gas in a different town......etc. etc.....the towns all run into each other and if you really live here you just consider the whole Space coast as the town you live in after a while. Well maybe not Titusville when you live far South in Palm Bay so much, but we do spend time there to see friends and eat out sometimes. LOL

If they like the beach it can be a good town for teens. People from the NE tend to think the whole area is boring, but it is what you make it. There is a really good high school in Cocoa Beach . Rated highly scholastically but not noted for sports like football and basketball. They do have a surf club/team, though.

Surfing is as safe here as in any ocean. You have to watch out for the wave grabbers and weekend surfers who don't use leashes with their boards, though. My son has had more stitches from that than from his own board. Of course there are sharks but very few bites each year and the kind here generally don't eat you just take a nibble and swim off. We do have some rocky beaches but in the Cocoa Beach area mostly the hard pack type sand where they used to allow cars to drive. We have some good surf festivals and there are some good surfing schools and shops. We also have some really good places to have boards designed and made just for you.

There is a mall, the usual Walmarts, Targets etc. on Merritt Island. Lots of chain restaurants to choose from. Of course there are the touristy bars and places, too like the SandBar and Ron Jons.

Things to keep ya busy depends on what you like to do, but if you like water activities at the beach-endless. There are fishing charters and even getting a new gambling ship. There are the usual movies etc. and we have a lot of Festivals throughout the year, including some major suring competitions. We have art, surf, sea food, strawberry, festivals just to name a few. We have parades on land and water. You can go to a play, a concert, etc. within a few miles of CB. There are lots of good golf courses and parks with miniature golf and go -carts etc. in the area.

And when you can't find anything to do in CB, you still have all that Orlando offers .

Old 07-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Wow, thank you! That's very helpful.

We all love the beach. Us girls are surfers, so I'm sure we'd be just fine.

So, is it generally a pretty safe area, then, when it comes to robberies and things like that?

When we visited the area not too long ago, it seemed kind of like a laid-back little beach town (not so little) with lots of surf shops and small restaurants that are hidden back beyond all of the touristy spots. Is there a decent amount of nice, local restaurants and places like that?

Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 PM

181 posts, read 418,740 times
I have relatives that live in Cocoa Beach. I have visited several times. Personally, its not for me. My relatives tell me that they have had homeless people end up sleeping in the courtyards of their condo complex. They continue to harass the homeowners for money. I also hear that there are people of many age levels that are unemployed. The hotels and motels have very limited staff and many of the low budget stores are not hiring to much. I guess its also a shame that the unemployemnt levels are going up due to the cuts at the space center. I find the area does not have many nice eateries and way to many tatoo parlors! My relatives always complain about the "tar" balls on the waterfront. and how the beaches are not as nicely maintained as they were in the past. Another complaint is that it takes way to long to secure a doctors office visit. Many end up going to the urgent care facilities because it takes to long to see their regular doctors.

Everyone is different and you will get different opinions. Good luck in your quest.....

Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Wow, thank you! That's very helpful.

We all love the beach. Us girls are surfers, so I'm sure we'd be just fine.

So, is it generally a pretty safe area, then, when it comes to robberies and things like that?

When we visited the area not too long ago, it seemed kind of like a laid-back little beach town (not so little) with lots of surf shops and small restaurants that are hidden back beyond all of the touristy spots. Is there a decent amount of nice, local restaurants and places like that?
The little disturbance off the coast is actually supposed to kick up some waves this weekend so there may be some surfing in July that is better than norm.

Like anywhere there will be some rif raf so girls always have to be careful just like anywhere, but it is really pretty safe. Just like anywhere there are takers who would rather steal to live than work so you do need to lock car doors and homes. You won't want to leave valuables just sitting on the beach while surfing so need to figure out a safe way to carry a key so it doesn't get lost in the water.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 PM

My boardshorts have pockets to keep keys in. Figures there's going to be decent waves just because I'm not there!

Is there that much of a homeless population there? I don't remember seeing anything obvious when I was there on vacation, but then, I wasn't really looking, either.

Out of the Cocoa Beach areas (Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral, Melbourne, etc), which area is the nicest and safest overall?

How safe is the area compared to other cities of its size?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
My boardshorts have pockets to keep keys in. Figures there's going to be decent waves just because I'm not there!

Is there that much of a homeless population there? I don't remember seeing anything obvious when I was there on vacation, but then, I wasn't really looking, either.

Out of the Cocoa Beach areas (Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral, Melbourne, etc), which area is the nicest and safest overall?

How safe is the area compared to other cities of its size?
It is a lot less of a problem than in Orlando for example. I wouldn't consider it as a major factor.

Since you like to surf....I say stay beachside. you won't regret it. there is more likely to be young singles do do things with, and it is safe. If you can't afford beachside- look for apartments that do not have salary caps and where the rent is assisted for many. Those tend to have more problems.

Contrary to what people sometimes write on this forum this whole county is really pretty safe to live.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM

I would definitely try to stay on the beach.

Yeah, I've read some pretty mixed reviews on safety for the Brevard County area. But it didn't seem too bad when I was there. Nothing like Chicago was.

Is there a recommended area of the Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral/Melbourne area? Any nicer areas?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,035,789 times
Quote:

Yeah, I've read some pretty mixed reviews on safety for the Brevard County area. But it didn't seem too bad when I was there. Nothing like Chicago was.

Is there a recommended area of the Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral/Melbourne area? Any nicer areas?
I think part of the problem is that "bad areas" aren't always obvious in Brevard because they don't always look as traditionally rundown & disgusting as you might see in a larger metro. So perhaps some people inadvertently make their way through areas that would not be recommended?

Not that Brevard doesn't have some blighted areas, but some areas in question may not strike you as "looking" bad...if that makes sense.

I don't know beachside these days nearly as well as I did a few years back so I'll let others chime in for more specifics but I always did like the Merritt Island & Cocoa Beach areas myself. Best of luck to you on your search.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Still have to love Chicago, though......but if you lived up there.....this area is a piece of cake compared to some areas up there. Lived South of Chicago and the city I lived in had a sign on one corner that had a stop sign...Do not stop after dark...... Not a lot of areas like that down here.

As long as you get along with family and don't go out to buy drugs most people here do not see this as an area of crime. Of course you do have to be aware because where ever tourists gather it also brings in some low life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or