U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM

111 posts, read 274,897 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Would anyone be able to suggest a homeowner's insurance company in the area? I ask because some family members living in Palm Bay are having a hard time getting any insurance company to insure them. Some of the reasons they have been told by companies they don't qualify are because they're technically "less than 2 miles from the ocean", and that the house was built 45 years ago (don't know if that helps).

They have been dropped by 2 insurance companies in the last few years (one of which I know is state farm). They are trying to get what they would call a "reasonable rate" and claim that the only current companies they find that are even willing to insure them, are outrageously priced compared to what they are used to. Unfortunately, I don't know what would constitute reasonable, as they don't talk about finances and such with me. However, let's just say in your opinion, do you know of any insurance companies that insure homes close to the ocean at what you would call reasonable? Or would you have a resource or site that maybe I can do a bit of research at?

Thank you all very much for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,678,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagurl333 View Post
Hello everyone,

Would anyone be able to suggest a homeowner's insurance company in the area? I ask because some family members living in Palm Bay are having a hard time getting any insurance company to insure them. Some of the reasons they have been told by companies they don't qualify are because they're technically "less than 2 miles from the ocean", and that the house was built 45 years ago (don't know if that helps).

They have been dropped by 2 insurance companies in the last few years (one of which I know is state farm). They are trying to get what they would call a "reasonable rate" and claim that the only current companies they find that are even willing to insure them, are outrageously priced compared to what they are used to. Unfortunately, I don't know what would constitute reasonable, as they don't talk about finances and such with me. However, let's just say in your opinion, do you know of any insurance companies that insure homes close to the ocean at what you would call reasonable? Or would you have a resource or site that maybe I can do a bit of research at?

Thank you all very much for your time!
Being dropped by insurance companies is sort of normal because so many of the National companies have abandoned us here after the hurricanes of 2004. We have been dropped by 2 companies, too. We have ours insured by relatively unheard of company and the same with our house the son lives in. Who knows if there is enough to cover damages if we have damage in a hurricane???? Leaves you feeling very unsecure.....our house was built in 1984, has been remodeled, but we still pay almost $1600 for insurance.

If they need insurance now, they need to find it quickly because the tropics are heating up. If they give the wave out there a name today no one will be able to purchase homeowners or close on a house till after it is downgraded.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM

70 posts, read 267,651 times
We purchased a home in Palm Bay last Oct. 2010 and in searching for an insurer came across a independent agency "Hoffman and Assoc." in Melbourne. Spoke with Heidi Holbert at Hoffman and she found a policy for us with Cypress Property and Casualty(check out ratings online) out of Sarasota Fl..
Our home was also built in 1984 and recently remodeled. The annual cost of our policy is currently 576.00. Includes; 155,000 dwelling, 3,100 other structures,5,000 personal property,300,000 personal liability 5,000 medical. DEDUCTABLE $2500.00
Policy states it covers hurricane(bldg.) hurricane(contents). Also have flood policy with Foremost Insurance for 303.00 annual, covers building and contents. DEDUCTABLE $2000.00
I understand there are other factors at work when quotes are given such as, credit history, location of home, type of structure, flood zone etc. However, I feel Ms. Holbert did due diligence is searching for a plan that would fit our needs and at a affordable price point.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 PM

111 posts, read 274,897 times
Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely relay the information to them. I really appreciate all of your advice!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:16 AM

128 posts, read 293,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereznm View Post
We purchased a home in Palm Bay last Oct. 2010 and in searching for an insurer came across a independent agency "Hoffman and Assoc." in Melbourne. Spoke with Heidi Holbert at Hoffman and she found a policy for us with Cypress Property and Casualty(check out ratings online) out of Sarasota Fl..
Our home was also built in 1984 and recently remodeled. The annual cost of our policy is currently 576.00. Includes; 155,000 dwelling, 3,100 other structures,5,000 personal property,300,000 personal liability 5,000 medical. DEDUCTABLE $2500.00
Policy states it covers hurricane(bldg.) hurricane(contents). Also have flood policy with Foremost Insurance for 303.00 annual, covers building and contents. DEDUCTABLE $2000.00
I understand there are other factors at work when quotes are given such as, credit history, location of home, type of structure, flood zone etc. However, I feel Ms. Holbert did due diligence is searching for a plan that would fit our needs and at a affordable price point.
Based on this info, I also called Ms. Holbert when buying a new house. Very good service, good communication. They can shop a number of different companies and compare the choices and recommend the best for you. Saves you a lot of legwork. Adding my recommendation.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 PM

587 posts, read 972,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Being dropped by insurance companies is sort of normal because so many of the National companies have abandoned us here after the hurricanes of 2004. We have been dropped by 2 companies, too. We have ours insured by relatively unheard of company and the same with our house the son lives in. Who knows if there is enough to cover damages if we have damage in a hurricane???? Leaves you feeling very unsecure.....our house was built in 1984, has been remodeled, but we still pay almost $1600 for insurance.

If they need insurance now, they need to find it quickly because the tropics are heating up. If they give the wave out there a name today no one will be able to purchase homeowners or close on a house till after it is downgraded.
Yes...n ...no.

Insurance in Brevard county is a laugh!

I too was insured with USAA ... had been for nearly 40 years.

I'm an old fart. I've been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years and been driving cars for slightly less.

"You wish to insure your motorcycle, Sir?" That will be a mere (wait for it!) $14500 - That's fourteen thousand and five hundred dollars.
Geico policy: $180.

You want to insure a house with us Sir? - we can do that for a mere $4500 a yeAr.

(The next nearest charges me $1500 a year)
It pays to shop around.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,678,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Yes...n ...no.

Insurance in Brevard county is a laugh!

I too was insured with USAA ... had been for nearly 40 years.

I'm an old fart. I've been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years and been driving cars for slightly less.

"You wish to insure your motorcycle, Sir?" That will be a mere (wait for it!) $14500 - That's fourteen thousand and five hundred dollars.
Geico policy: $180.

You want to insure a house with us Sir? - we can do that for a mere $4500 a yeAr.

(The next nearest charges me $1500 a year)
It pays to shop around.
Not sure why you quoted my post, but we did shop around and for the amount of coverage ( much more than $5000 for personal which wouldn't cover the kitchen appliances if we had a fire etc. ) we got a pretty good deal in our opinion. It also is for replacement not worth of a 5 year old couch etc. so you also pay for what you think is important coverage. Having seen my parents have to take out a new mortgage to pay for rebuilding their house due to a fire when I was a kid, I want enough insurance to completely rebuild and furnish our home if catastrophe hits.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM

378 posts, read 754,780 times
Call AAA. You don't have to be a member to get insurance through them and they write for multiple co.'s. Calls and quotes are free, so call around. If every place you call says that Citizens Insur. is the only place that will write on that particular home, you may want to reconsider the home. When only one co. will insure it, what will you do if the price goes up to to the point you can't afford it? Who will buy it from you with a rate that high?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM

587 posts, read 972,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Not sure why you quoted my post, but we did shop around and for the amount of coverage ( much more than $5000 for personal which wouldn't cover the kitchen appliances if we had a fire etc. ) we got a pretty good deal in our opinion. It also is for replacement not worth of a 5 year old couch etc. so you also pay for what you think is important coverage. Having seen my parents have to take out a new mortgage to pay for rebuilding their house due to a fire when I was a kid, I want enough insurance to completely rebuild and furnish our home if catastrophe hits.
'Shopping around' is obviously a very good idea, but many people - particularly those who have recently arrived - do tend to stick with the companies which have served them well in the past.

We bought our house in February (intending to occupy it in September) and we needed house insurance. USAA (a company I had used for some years) offered me a very unattractive rate, but I got a far better deal through a local broker.

AFAIR; my deductible for total loss would be about $1500 (which would hurt, but would be manageable.) My insurance provides 'new for old' cover and I am fairly well covered.

I've had one or two 'problems' with insurance here ... problems which I haven't encountered before.

We have one car (fully insured, with Uninsured motorist cover) and one Motorbike (also fully insured - through a different company - and also with UIM cover.

I bought a golf cart. (I have 2 legs which work well, but my wife is disabled and can't walk very far.) The community in which we live is fairly spread out - It's about a mile and a half to the Admin office, slightly less to the Swimming pool, club and other social amenities. I'm aware that Brevard County allows some golf carts (those which go a bit more quickly and which have seatbelts) to travel on the highway. Those which are not 'street legal' (mine lacks about 3mph and the seatbelts - but it meets the other requirements) can drive on the sidewalk (which made me laugh!) There is no way I am going to take my cart 'off the premises' and into any public area.

The Community in which I live requires golf carts to carry liability insurance. The 'going rate' for such insurance is $17-$20 every 6 months and the insurance is either a 'rider' on the household policy or a 'rider' on the automobile policy.

I applied for a rider on the automotive policy and was quoted (fully comprehensive insurance) $83 every 6 months. (Other people are paying between $17 and $20.)

NB: My golf cart has a 3HP motor, does about 20 mph flat out. (My motorbike has a 115HP engine and does about 135mph flat out.) The premium for the golf cart was $166 per annum, that for the motorcycle was $108.

I asked why and was told: "Well, Florida law mandates that if you have UIM cover on one vehicle, you have to have UIM cover on all vehicles."

The car travels on the Public Highway (where - I understand - about 1 in 10 motorists is uninsured.) The golf cart never leaves the private property in which I live and never travels on any highway.

"But you might run into an uninsured motorist on the golf course!"

(They do live amongst us! ) - If the golfers saw a motorist driving on the golf course, I suspect his/her life expectancy would be rather short.

I pointed out to the agent that there are alternatives:

1. I could insure my bike with one company (which I do) and could have whatever cover I like (and I have extensive cover.)

2. I could insure my car with the same company, or with another company and have whatever cover I like. If that company is going to insure the golf cart and is not prepared to limit UIM coverage to vehicles which are actually used on the highway (or in a place where I am liable to encounter uninsured motorists), I could decline UIM cover.

3. I could take my business elsewhere.

"Oh, please don't do that! - We value your business!"

Not enough to provide common-sense quotes, you don't.

It certainly does pay to 'shop around'. 45-50 years ago (when I first started insuring things) most people found a good company, built a relationship with that company and stayed with them for life.

Times have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County