U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to this area in December from Mass.I will be working between Merritt Island and Melbourne and am looking for a decent apt in a safe area.I'm a single mom with a fifteen year old son.The three places I seem to like the most are:Via Tuscany 300 Tuscany Way | Viera, FL 32940
Lake in the Woods 333 Lake In The Woods Dr Melbourne, FL 32901 and Lakeside at Greenboro 7670 Greenboro Drive | West Melbourne, FL 32904

I want my son to go to a decent high school and I dont want to end up in a drug infested or crime ridden area.Can anyone give me advice on these three places? Or make suggestions as to other apartments?

My primary concerns are a nice area and a decent school

Thanks for any help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 PM

6 posts, read 10,390 times
Lake in the Woods is zoned for Palm Bay High. Not great, not bad. I don't like the Lake in the Woods apartments, personally, as they are not the newest. If you can afford it, get a townhouse somewhere or rent a house.

Viera is obviously the best neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,416 times
We are also looking for apts. The one we liked the best was the Preserve at Longleaf. Not sure what school district that is for High School though. Also, go to realtor.com and look at the rental properties. There are a ton for cheap.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:45 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,681,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrooigirl View Post
I will be moving to this area in December from Mass.I will be working between Merritt Island and Melbourne and am looking for a decent apt in a safe area.I'm a single mom with a fifteen year old son.The three places I seem to like the most are:Via Tuscany 300 Tuscany Way | Viera, FL 32940
Lake in the Woods 333 Lake In The Woods Dr Melbourne, FL 32901 and Lakeside at Greenboro 7670 Greenboro Drive | West Melbourne, FL 32904

I want my son to go to a decent high school and I dont want to end up in a drug infested or crime ridden area.Can anyone give me advice on these three places? Or make suggestions as to other apartments?

My primary concerns are a nice area and a decent school

Thanks for any help
Working on the mainland or beachside. If beachside I would try to find something beach side. High schools are smaller and get good ratings.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM

181 posts, read 418,913 times
Be aware::: Lake in the Woods, at least in the past, had a lease with a list of highly questionable conditions. Make sure before you decide on any site, that you preview the lease and its attachments. Sometimes the items contained within, are very hard to agree to. Because of the high humidity factor in the south, you will find that many of these sites will require you to sign certain documenation and also ask you to adhere to their prevention rules, so read everything!

lake in the Woods wanted us to agree to not leaving dishes in a dish drain, always leaving your shower door open when not in use. They also wanted you as the tenant to be responsible for EVERY guest that came into your apartment. So if your 15 year old son has a visitor stop by that arrived in an "altered" state, through no doing of your own, you will still be responsible for that guest and his/her actions.

Good luck to you

Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,036,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluidblonde View Post
lake in the Woods wanted us to agree to not leaving dishes in a dish drain, always leaving your shower door open when not in use. They also wanted you as the tenant to be responsible for EVERY guest that came into your apartment. So if your 15 year old son has a visitor stop by that arrived in an "altered" state, through no doing of your own, you will still be responsible for that guest and his/her actions.
I know these might sound questionable or unreasonable...but they are extremely typical for most lease agreements. Why? In short...insurance & liability.

Because things like not leaving the shower open, leaving (excessively) wet dishes in the drain, and many other things that can leave standing water (in theory) accelerate mold growth. These same provisions are part of their own insurance provisions. But since they (i.e. the apartment) will not be residing in the apartment (you are, after all) they cannot be certain that there will be reasonable measures taken by a tenant without putting into the lease agreement. No different than you are responsible for ruining the carpet by dropping a bucket of paint on it.

Same with the stoned 15 yr old visitor. The apartment screened you, the renter. And since they don't want to inconvenience you, your guests, and certainly don't want the hassle & cost themselves to screen your guests anyway...they have to have you agree that visitors to your leased unit (which is inside of THEIR property) are your liability. Again...insurance dictates this as otherwise the apartment is the one liable for stoned visitors vandalizing people's cars, fist-fighting in the parking lot, etc. as they could be sued by the other tenant that was affected.

These types of provisions give them the ability to maintain reasonable cost insurance which in turn allows them to not charge more in their lease. This is actually typical since most of these provisions are pretty reasonable & easy to comply with while not even thinking about them (i.e. they are common sense for people who don't break the law on a regular basis or associate with people who enjoy breaking the law on a regular basis).

Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM

181 posts, read 418,913 times
To MaritnEden99

"I know these might sound questionable or unreasonable...but they are extremely typical for most lease agreements. Why? In short...insurance & liability."

I certainly understand the reasoning behind this all and thanks so much for clarifying this to the original poster. But, in all honestly, having rented at both Saratoga Apartments and Windover Health Club, neither place asked to to sign documenation that was so extreme. All though paperwork at these two complexes did include mold disclosures and various other tenant rules and regs., my persoanl opinion was Lake in the Woods was far to "over the top" with its list of tenant rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County