U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM

199 posts, read 391,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yes you can have a home on the ground sprayed with pesticides regularly. Have any concerns health-wise about that?
Should I be concerned about that? I spray bugs with Raid when I see them inside my home, and then try to vacate the room for an hour or two. But I haven't experienced a whole home, professional spray down before. Are there health costs (cancer? worsening of asthma?) associated with that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 PM

489 posts, read 730,796 times
If you move to FL get used to the bugs, lizards, etc, because it is just part of FL.

Yes, spraying is bad and also bad for the lagoon which keeps getting more polluted by pesticides and yard garbage. Was not like this years back before everyone from everywhere moved here & still overpopulating my beloved State.

I am a 5th generation native Floridian and here all the time how people up north moving here and complaining of bugs, lizards, and such. It just makes me want to chuckle. Like i said, get used to it, it is FL. You cannot take the FL out of FL, though all you northerners have been trying for years.

Good luck with your native species...LOL!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,211 times
Default Bugs!

Had to jump in! It took me some time to get used to the bugs too, but...I did! Just like everyone says......you DO get used to them! Been here almost 20 years now and I love the little lizards!

You can control them getting into the house (the bugs). I use an electric thing you plug into the socket and it works wonders.

My other solution that wasn't planned???

I have chickens!! Greatest bug control you can find! And they give me eggs

Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,436,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy7889 View Post
Had to jump in! It took me some time to get used to the bugs too, but...I did! Just like everyone says......you DO get used to them! Been here almost 20 years now and I love the little lizards!

You can control them getting into the house (the bugs). I use an electric thing you plug into the socket and it works wonders.

My other solution that wasn't planned???

I have chickens!! Greatest bug control you can find! And they give me eggs

Hmmm...does the electric thingy bother pets?

I'd like to have chicken, but I don't think they allow them where I live.

My kids and my husband are native Floridians and I have lived in FL most of my life. I don't mind the bugs so much (except when you walk or bike into a swarm of gnats). The snakes and lizards need something to eat.
I don't even mind the palmetto bugs, but I hate roaches (there is a difference).

Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM

378 posts, read 754,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Hmmm...does the electric thingy bother pets?

I'd like to have chicken, but I don't think they allow them where I live.

My kids and my husband are native Floridians and I have lived in FL most of my life. I don't mind the bugs so much (except when you walk or bike into a swarm of gnats). The snakes and lizards need something to eat.
I don't even mind the palmetto bugs, but I hate roaches (there is a difference).
Hate roaches but don't mind palmetto bugs? The "palmetto bug" is a giant flying cockroach that made it's way to Florida from Asia in the early part of the last century. They are just as disgusting as any other roach except they are larger than most.

The promoters that sold land (swamp land) decades ago renamed these giant roaches palmetto bugs to make them seem less disgusting. They do not live in or have anything to do with the palmetto plant. Those are roaches, yuk!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Hate roaches but don't mind palmetto bugs? The "palmetto bug" is a giant flying cockroach that made it's way to Florida from Asia in the early part of the last century. They are just as disgusting as any other roach except they are larger than most.

The promoters that sold land (swamp land) decades ago renamed these giant roaches palmetto bugs to make them seem less disgusting. They do not live in or have anything to do with the palmetto plant. Those are roaches, yuk!

Since we are splitting hairs; The Florida Woods Cockroach (Euryctis Floridana) is different from the Oriental Cockroach (Blatta Orientalis). Yes, it is still a cockroach, but they tend to stay outside. They like dark moist areas and tend to live in and around palm trees (which is how they got their nickname the Palmetto Bug).
I moved back down to Fl about 2 months ago. We got a deal on the house we are renting. Our deposit was waived because we needed a house to move into right away and the people who lived in the house previously were evicted and we said we would clean and repair the damages.
The previous people were disgusting. We had to scrub everything (there were even roaches in the fridge). We have finally got the roaches under control. Haven't seen one in days (thank goodness, because I haven't been able to sleep worrying they are going to crawl on me). Of all these nasty, disgusting roaches that feed off human filth I have not seen one palmetto bug.
Also, I am against spraying the outside and yard with pesticides, but the inside of my home is fair game.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM

199 posts, read 391,826 times
Quote:
Also, I am against spraying the outside and yard with pesticides
Why?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus of Board View Post
Why?

We do spray the perimeter of the home and windows so they can't get in the house anymore, but when you start spraying your yard with pesticides it can go into the water table. I also don't see why we have to kill everything in our yards. Some bugs are beneficial and I don't want to kill the lizards.
I wouldn't tell you what to do. I just don't like it.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 PM

587 posts, read 972,491 times
Most bugs aren't a problem. Those that bite you (especially freshly-mated female mosquitoes, which need your blood to provide a source of protein to enable them to lay eggs - and especially those which carry West Nile Disease) - ARE a problem!

You can reduce the number of mosquitoes by removing their breeding grounds (any container with stagnant water [even tiny containers, like an empty coke can ... which may well contain some water].)

Lizards eat bugs. Wasps also eat bugs. Bees make honey and pollinate crops. All spiders are poisonous (though most of them don't bite people ... they do, however, bite bugs which bite people.)

Rat snakes kill rats. (Goes with the name, I suppose.) - One of my neighbours was panicking because there was a rat snake in her garage. - I asked the pest control people whether I could have it in my garage (I found a rat in the wall of the house) but they wouldn't give it to me. They said they would come and put a rat trap baited with peanut butter in the attic. The rat snake would seek out the rats and eat them - I doubt that the rat trap is going to chase them

Horse flies are a pain (quite literally)

Are there Chiggers around here? - They can be a nuisance, too.

'Palmetto Bugs' (along with sewer roaches) are spectacular, but if you ensure that they have no food source, they won't be too much of a nuisance.

Where I live, we have pest control around every few months, but they don't go overboard! - They spray to keep the roaches down, but (AFAIK) thy don't carry out an extermination program.

I suspect that many of the 'problems' are caused by humans. I met a small gator yesterday. (Well, we didn't shake hands but ...)

I was talking to a neighbour who was fishing in a local pond. Up popped a gator (about 3-4 feet long) which swam towards us. Alligators are not crocodiles (which aren't scared of anything.) Alligators are normally pretty shy and they don't trust humans. This little guy should (when he became aware we were there) have swum away from us - up to the other end of the pond (2-300 yards away.)

Oh no! "There are people! Perhaps they've got food for me?"

He didn't learn that from race memory ... I suspect somebody has given him a sandwich at some time (he wasn't big enough to manage a poodle.)

He swam to within about 10 yards; there was no food going so he went elsewhere.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM

489 posts, read 730,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Most bugs aren't a problem. Those that bite you (especially freshly-mated female mosquitoes, which need your blood to provide a source of protein to enable them to lay eggs - and especially those which carry West Nile Disease) - ARE a problem!

You can reduce the number of mosquitoes by removing their breeding grounds (any container with stagnant water [even tiny containers, like an empty coke can ... which may well contain some water].)

Lizards eat bugs. Wasps also eat bugs. Bees make honey and pollinate crops. All spiders are poisonous (though most of them don't bite people ... they do, however, bite bugs which bite people.)

Rat snakes kill rats. (Goes with the name, I suppose.) - One of my neighbours was panicking because there was a rat snake in her garage. - I asked the pest control people whether I could have it in my garage (I found a rat in the wall of the house) but they wouldn't give it to me. They said they would come and put a rat trap baited with peanut butter in the attic. The rat snake would seek out the rats and eat them - I doubt that the rat trap is going to chase them

Horse flies are a pain (quite literally)

Are there Chiggers around here? - They can be a nuisance, too.

'Palmetto Bugs' (along with sewer roaches) are spectacular, but if you ensure that they have no food source, they won't be too much of a nuisance.

Where I live, we have pest control around every few months, but they don't go overboard! - They spray to keep the roaches down, but (AFAIK) thy don't carry out an extermination program.

I suspect that many of the 'problems' are caused by humans. I met a small gator yesterday. (Well, we didn't shake hands but ...)

I was talking to a neighbour who was fishing in a local pond. Up popped a gator (about 3-4 feet long) which swam towards us. Alligators are not crocodiles (which aren't scared of anything.) Alligators are normally pretty shy and they don't trust humans. This little guy should (when he became aware we were there) have swum away from us - up to the other end of the pond (2-300 yards away.)

Oh no! "There are people! Perhaps they've got food for me?"

He didn't learn that from race memory ... I suspect somebody has given him a sandwich at some time (he wasn't big enough to manage a poodle.)

He swam to within about 10 yards; there was no food going so he went elsewhere.
Excellent response I must say and very straight forward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or