U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM

96 posts, read 180,370 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't say. As a teacher my experience is that charter schools are not a good thing. Often they aren't operated well and don't often stay open for the long term. With that being said, with the Mackay scholarship we will check into charter knowing that the school might not be open as long as we'd need. I'm just at the beginning of our formal educational experience since our daughter is still a toddler. I would think that this area would be as good as any other in Florida considering the population base - lots of educated parents who would invest time in their kids, but also a larger city - Tampa, Miami might have more selection due to having a larger population. Idk? Hopefully others will have some inside info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethatlou View Post
Do you think "Charter" schools would be better? And do you know of any private schools that focus on Autism? Do you feel the status quo for special needs services are consistent through out all of Florida, or any better in other areas?
No your best bet is probably the public schools. Private schools and charter schools do not usually have the specialty teachers needed for special kids or LD. I know some families that had to change back to public school to get the help their kids needed.

Have either of you talked to anyone at Space Coast Intervention?

Space Coast Early Intervention Center | Melbourne, Florida

It is an excellent daycare . Talking to her and other parents there should help you both to find resources in the area . I know at work we volunteer for them a couple times a year and that they have an Autism Festival every year .

Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 PM

96 posts, read 180,370 times
I know Space Coast Early Intervention is incredible. I didn't think to mention it since the op's children are older, but they might still be a resource that could help point her in the right direction. I know they have info about autism resources.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 16,764 times
I found the Deveraux school in Viero, specializes in autism. Anybody know of it?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 AM

26 posts, read 47,516 times
Devereux is a reputable organization that focuses on special needs kids, particularly focusing on autism. There are locations in 12 states where individuals can live on campus or commute to specialized schools that focus on their particular needs. I myself work for the organization in Pennsylvania where its headquarters are located and ironically enough am considering a transfer to the Viera campus when I finish my studies. Check out Welcome to Devereux - Devereux, if you haven't already. There are probably other schools affiliated with the organization located in the surrounding areas around the Viera campus if you're not particularly close to Viera.

Best of Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County