U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,728 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from MN and am a busy mom of 3 looking to relocate to the Cocoa area in Jan of this coming year. I will be going to BCC to finish up my nursing program. Just would like some advice about the area, safe neighborhoods and is there buses, shopping plazas, parks, and recreation. Anything anyone could contribute would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,265,750 times
Cocoa isn't the nicest area, but there are some okay neighbohoods. Pricewise you could live in Rockledge, Merritt Island, or Port St John for the better schools. There is very little shopping in Cocoa other than Walmart. I would highly recommend a car here as well, the bus fine for short trips but things are spread out a bit and in the summer I would die waiting for the bus.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,208 times
I agree. Very little shopping other than Walmart close to BCC. But there are grocery chains near Walmart. Walmart is pretty close to BCC. There's a 7-Eleven right next door to BCC. It's not a bad area. Check BCC for posts on their bulletin boards etc..... rentals are higher in the winter. I would get settled first then take a year or so and see where you would like to be on a more permanent basis. Get into school, find a rental, settle in and then give yourself some time to look around Welcome to Cocoa!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 AM

3,716 posts, read 6,671,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymomof 3 View Post
I'm moving from MN and am a busy mom of 3 looking to relocate to the Cocoa area in Jan of this coming year. I will be going to BCC to finish up my nursing program. Just would like some advice about the area, safe neighborhoods and is there buses, shopping plazas, parks, and recreation. Anything anyone could contribute would be appreciated.
Do you have to go to the Cocoa Campus or could you take the classes at one of the other BCC campuses? I have never actually driven to the Cocoa Campus so not sure what the area is like around it, but there is shopping etc. within walking distance and affordable housing close to the Palm Bay and Melbourne campuses .

Old 10-30-2011, 11:57 AM

501 posts, read 1,067,556 times
Can anyone give more insight on this city? Rental costs? Utilities?

Thank you!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM

720 posts, read 1,547,283 times
My Mom lives on the street across from the 7-11. The area is slowly improving, as properties are bought and improved. My Mom has an alarm system on her home, but has never had any incidents occur, such as vandalism or attempted break-ins. There are a couple of apartment complexes right in the area, my sister lived there for awhile, again no problems, it was quiet. There is an elementary school at the end of my Mom's street, one of the teachers lives across the road from her.(Tate St)
I would say it's an area you would feel comfortable in, but wouldn't want to be out walking alone at night in. When I've visited I've seen the elementary school kids walking home by the house. The college grounds and buildings are very attractive.
Good luck with your nursing degree!!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,136,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
My Mom lives on the street across from the 7-11. The area is slowly improving, as properties are bought and improved. My Mom has an alarm system on her home, but has never had any incidents occur, such as vandalism or attempted break-ins. There are a couple of apartment complexes right in the area, my sister lived there for awhile, again no problems, it was quiet. There is an elementary school at the end of my Mom's street, one of the teachers lives across the road from her.(Tate St)
I would say it's an area you would feel comfortable in, but wouldn't want to be out walking alone at night in. When I've visited I've seen the elementary school kids walking home by the house. The college grounds and buildings are very attractive.
Good luck with your nursing degree!!
How about the area just south of the 7-Eleven, near School St, and Mitchell St? The houses in that area look decent, but it's hard to tell without actually being there. I ask because there are a few houses for sale in that neighborhood, and I'm looking to buy a vacation home somewhere in the area. Also considering Merritt Island as well, but just wanted to explore all options.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM

720 posts, read 1,547,283 times
Sorry, not familiar with that area. What would concern me personally is having a house sit empty for part of the time----vandals!! My Mom has had squatters take up residence in empty houses on her street. Check out Port St. Lucie---lots of deals there. Some friends bought condos down there, very inexpensive. We (me and DH) are looking in NC near the coast, but need a place that will be safe while we're away (like to RV, and family is here in CT (kids, grandkids))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or