U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 AM

489 posts, read 730,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Is the Palm Bay hospital really that bad? I've been there a few times for things like stitches and always been very happy. The doctors and nurses I had were all nice and seemed competent, and I never had to wait unlike other ERs that I or family members have been to. Now maybe for something more complex than sutures it would be a different story, but it seemed OK to me.
I remember when it first opened up and had to go on several occasions for various illnesses when I lived in Malabar at that time and the service was terrible. I had a friend in there for two weeks earlier this year, and besides the big single bed room they gave her, she was very not pleased with the service. Maybe not everyone's experience is a negative one, but from past experience working in the EMS field as a Paramedic/EMT in the Fire Department and then as a Medical Assistant for a Nursing Home after leaving the Fire service due to career ending injuries, and from other known cases, I have to flag this hospital. Maybe they have finally got their act together in the latter part of this year, which I would hope so.

Parrish Medical (Titusville) is a hospital I absolutely avoid like a plague. Oh yeah, Sebastian Medical is a good hospital. We had patient transports that wanted to go there in stead of Palm Bay.

Just saying!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Is the Palm Bay hospital really that bad? I've been there a few times for things like stitches and always been very happy. The doctors and nurses I had were all nice and seemed competent, and I never had to wait unlike other ERs that I or family members have been to. Now maybe for something more complex than sutures it would be a different story, but it seemed OK to me.
I can tell you the rooms there are like hotel rooms almost. There was a recliner and a little couch that could be used as a cot if needed in the room. Very nice. When my husband was there in May it appeared that all rooms were singles. They seemed efficient and the nurses were very competent and friendly with him. I have no complaints. Tomorrow he is having surgery at Holmes because his doctor does not come out to PB. Will see if we still like that hospital more than PB this time.

But 6 years ago when I went to the ER there and was admitted, there were no rooms and I spent 3 nights in an ER ward and had to use the public bathroom ....yuk. Then when they did an MRI it was out in a truck and the tech was horrible. My ears hurt for a long time because of the way she pushed the ear plugs in. Felt like I was a prisoner instead of being cared for. I swore in any future emergency we would make ambulance go into Holmes in Melbourne, but in real emergency this year it did fine. For anything major they will transport you to Melbourne when stable.

Compairing PB to Wuesthoff on Wickham ........PB is wonderful. ER in Wuesthoff was slow, seemed unorganized. Nurses seemed to be inefficient, and took 8 hours after seeing doctor to tell my husband to go home and call his doctor the next day. Hardly saw a doctor or nurse in 8 hours of laying there. When he asked for water they took an hour before bringing him any but then it was in a specimen plastic bowl type container with measurement on side instead of a pitcher or cup. Will never return there.
Of course these are just my opinions and others may have had different nurses and doctors who did a much better job than the ones there on the night we ended up at Wuesthoff.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM

85 posts, read 168,203 times
Wow! After hearing all of your replies, I dont know if I should come down and try to make it a better place or run for the hills. Thank you for all of your perspectives.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Of course these are just my opinions and others may have had different nurses and doctors who did a much better job than the ones there on the night we ended up at Wuesthoff.
Very true! Everyone will have their own experience & opinion, so do not rely on my solely by far.

As per Wuesthoff, I have heard the rumors they were not as proficient as when they first opened. I went there once to get my finger sutured up after almost loosing it to a job related incident. They were descent, though some of their policies I disagreed with. Of course this is the one off Wickham Road, not the one in Rockledge.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Wow! After hearing all of your replies, I dont know if I should come down and try to make it a better place or run for the hills. Thank you for all of your perspectives.
Don't dread, Health First is not bad to work for (Holmes Regional, PB, Cape Canaveral). PB has been doing a lot of changes from what I just talked to a ole friend of mine (earlier this day), so maybe things have changed, but I doubt much with PB anyways.

My best advise to you is to do direct research on these facilities, Wuesthoff Medical & Health First before making your final decision. Good luck & the best wishes!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1 View Post
Very true! Everyone will have their own experience & opinion, so do not rely on my solely by far.

As per Wuesthoff, I have heard the rumors they were not as proficient as when they first opened. I went there once to get my finger sutured up after almost loosing it to a job related incident. They were descent, though some of their policies I disagreed with. Of course this is the one off Wickham Road, not the one in Rockledge.
Just remembered there were even monitoring machines in the ER room that they could not get to work and had to bring in a different one. We were at the Wickham Road Wuesthoff, too.
Palm Bay Hospital was not bad. They got him into ER room within a couple minutes when we got to the waiting room. He was in a room within about 2 hours. No complaints with ER staff or the doctors who worked on him that weekend ow with any of the nurses.

And on my 3 day stay over a weekend in the ER room I had 2 very good doctors who of course work at Holmes and Palm Bay. They are still my docs 6 years later so experience was not so bad.

The area needs good nurses so definitely don't shy away because of what we have said. In comparison to some hospitals in the midwest the hospitals here are really good.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 AM

587 posts, read 972,439 times
There's a new hospital in Viera. (Opened in April, AFAIK)

I don't know whether they're hiring - but they could certainly do with a few more staff!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM

694 posts, read 742,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Wuesthoff was bought by HMA recently so changes are coming that way and being implemented now and more to come.

The only word I consistently hear on Holmes is they are too busy for everyone, nurses, docs, support staff. But maybe I just heard that from several people who were just too busy and some departments not.

One other tip on Florida, I would definately avoid the largest hospital chain in central FL called Florida Hospital, usually with a location name afterwards. Just for one, as an Adventist church run operation, they offer a "church" health plan that if they decide they don't cover something it will never be covered as they are not required to abide by medicare rules. Basically church run health plans don't follow medicare. Also there are some other big issues with them I can assure you.

Best of luck, and always best to pick something hopefully moving up, even if fairly down currently but trying to get better. That is hard to determine I suppose. But there is just no comparison to Rochester, MN Mayo here. The big one in FL is U FL Gainesville which is not really the same model as a Mayo either

Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM

85 posts, read 168,203 times
Thanks for the info, I talked with the folks at Florida Hospital a couple of years back, they offered me $20 a hour. Money isnt everything but I have to make a living to support my family. I know the cost of living is less down there so I'm sure I will not get the same pay.I dont mind being busy,matter of fact I enjoy being busy. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping into a place that doesn't appreciate a hard working RN with tons of experience. I would love to not have to shovel snow ever again!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Wuesthoff was bought by HMA recently so changes are coming that way and being implemented now and more to come.

The only word I consistently hear on Holmes is they are too busy for everyone, nurses, docs, support staff. But maybe I just heard that from several people who were just too busy and some departments not.

One other tip on Florida, I would definately avoid the largest hospital chain in central FL called Florida Hospital, usually with a location name afterwards. Just for one, as an Adventist church run operation, they offer a "church" health plan that if they decide they don't cover something it will never be covered as they are not required to abide by medicare rules. Basically church run health plans don't follow medicare. Also there are some other big issues with them I can assure you.

Best of luck, and always best to pick something hopefully moving up, even if fairly down currently but trying to get better. That is hard to determine I suppose. But there is just no comparison to Rochester, MN Mayo here. The big one in FL is U FL Gainesville which is not really the same model as a Mayo either
My husband had surgery at Holmes in Melbourne today. All I can say is wonderful staff and everything from the time they took him to preop room through recovery was top notch in my book. Kept us informed through the whole process. So far so good on recovery at home tonight, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or