U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM

9 posts, read 21,921 times

Advertisements

After ten years of dreaming about it, researching it and planning it, we’ve finally moved to the sunshine state! The hubby, kids and I moved here about a week ago…from NJ (we’re originally from NY though…I know…something different, right? LOL) to Palm Bay. We’ve been enjoying getting settled in and meeting our neighbors (who are great!!). For my new Florida neighbors, we are very happy to be living here in your fair state and promise to love and respect it in everything we do….because that’s the kind of people we are. For those nay-sayers and Florida haters out there, if you don‘t see anything further from me in this thread, it‘s only because I’m waaay too busy enjoying my new life here and it took me long enough just to post this!

For my northern friends who are contemplating a move here, this is what I’ve experienced so far:

1) Everyone, from the smiling cashier at the Winn Dixie to the stranger waving at me on the street, has been friendly, nice and polite. No this is not Shangrala, but I’ve encountered more friendly people here just running errands than I ever encountered up north. Of course, this is my own personal experience.

2) The Brevard Exceptional Education Dept Rocks!! My son has special needs and they have been in contact with me for the past three months, plus had a meeting with a ‘team’ of people for my son yesterday. They have introduced me to numerous resources, from which I’ve already made some friends and shared ideas. I cannot express my gratitude enough for all of this…my son’s needs were the thing I worried about the most and just speaking to them once over the phone laid many of those fears to rest right away. The teacher actually took me through her classroom and showed me everything they do and after many questions was happy to answer more.

3) I thought I wouldn’t be able to get into that ‘Halloween’ spirit…because of the weather and all. So not true…we enjoyed Halloween so much and the kids trick or treated until their feet hurt (lol). Everyone was so nice and so many people were happy to meet us, the new neighbors.

Well, that's it for now. When I learn more…and when I have time…I’ll post another thread.

For now, I’m off to unpack more boxes and have some fun in the sun!

PS: Thanks to all you well wishers out there and everyone who put up with my endless IM’s and answered my many questions…you’ve all been so kind and your info was greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

85 posts, read 168,224 times
That is awesome, I cant wait to get down there my self. Enjoy shovling that sunshine this winter. Best wishes!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 AM

378 posts, read 754,812 times
Wish you the best! Everyone loves it the first few months, even years. Over 1000 people a day move back. Give us a report in a couple of years after the newness wears off and you know what living in Florida is really like.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM

41 posts, read 48,726 times
Congratulations! Happy for you!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,679,750 times
Glad you are enjoying it here so far. Hope it only gets better.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
hi,
wow your post is inspirational to us. i have a special needs 10 year old. can you tell me if the area you have moved into as varying exceptionalities or rather what classes they may have for high functioning autistic. ironically i am from NY and currently live in NJ. we are moving as of JAn 1. however i have NO idea where to go in florida. the system of school choice and ese is all so new. any thoughts on your neighborhood. do the kids seem nice? are they accepting? is it family oriented.

sorry for bombarding you with all the questions. it's just that there is hardly anything here about the ese and special needs kids. i am so anxious to hear all about it.

any input would be so appreciated.

Lisa Ann

Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 AM

700 posts, read 3,030,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasaurus0607 View Post
After ten years of dreaming about it, researching it and planning it, we’ve finally moved to the sunshine state! The hubby, kids and I moved here about a week ago…from NJ (we’re originally from NY though…I know…something different, right? LOL) to Palm Bay. We’ve been enjoying getting settled in and meeting our neighbors (who are great!!). For my new Florida neighbors, we are very happy to be living here in your fair state and promise to love and respect it in everything we do….because that’s the kind of people we are. For those nay-sayers and Florida haters out there, if you don‘t see anything further from me in this thread, it‘s only because I’m waaay too busy enjoying my new life here and it took me long enough just to post this!

For my northern friends who are contemplating a move here, this is what I’ve experienced so far:

1) Everyone, from the smiling cashier at the Winn Dixie to the stranger waving at me on the street, has been friendly, nice and polite. No this is not Shangrala, but I’ve encountered more friendly people here just running errands than I ever encountered up north. Of course, this is my own personal experience.

2) The Brevard Exceptional Education Dept Rocks!! My son has special needs and they have been in contact with me for the past three months, plus had a meeting with a ‘team’ of people for my son yesterday. They have introduced me to numerous resources, from which I’ve already made some friends and shared ideas. I cannot express my gratitude enough for all of this…my son’s needs were the thing I worried about the most and just speaking to them once over the phone laid many of those fears to rest right away. The teacher actually took me through her classroom and showed me everything they do and after many questions was happy to answer more.

3) I thought I wouldn’t be able to get into that ‘Halloween’ spirit…because of the weather and all. So not true…we enjoyed Halloween so much and the kids trick or treated until their feet hurt (lol). Everyone was so nice and so many people were happy to meet us, the new neighbors.

Well, that's it for now. When I learn more…and when I have time…I’ll post another thread.

For now, I’m off to unpack more boxes and have some fun in the sun!

PS: Thanks to all you well wishers out there and everyone who put up with my endless IM’s and answered my many questions…you’ve all been so kind and your info was greatly appreciated!
Congratulations and am soooo happy for you!! Lived in Florida fifteen years and loved it! Moved away eight years ago,but can't wait to move back in two more years when my hubby retires! Enjoy!! We'll be down for another visit in a couple of weeks! YAY!!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM

104 posts, read 221,323 times
Glad every thing has gone so well for you.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 PM

587 posts, read 972,588 times
Well, I wish I could delete messages anonymously.

Would you care to PM me Annie and tell me why you thought I was trolling? (I can't contact you to ask why.)

Actually, I'm not at all interested in trolling (other than in its original sense - as a means of catching fish [and I can do that in other ways])

(If I posted an intemperate message or one which offended people - I apologise.)

If Mamasaurus wants to move here - that's great! (She's adding her name to the long list of people who hope this is a good place to live. )

I suggest, however, that although sometimes the cashiers in Winn Dixie are great and sometimes the people you meet in the street are great, sometimes they're not.

Sometimes, they're grumpy and mean.

In the short time I've lived here I've met many friendly people - but I've met more than a few who are not.

'A bad apple can spoil the whole barrel' but that doesn't apply (IMO) to people where you live. People have their 'off days'.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 PM

3,607 posts, read 6,151,936 times
Wow, what wonderful news OP, so nice to hear you are loving your new Sunshine State digs. Florida is awesome and I think the abundance of haters comes with the territory of being such a prime spot for relocation. The majority of the friendly folks I've encountered in Florida are almost all transplants from up north or even the south. I think it's the great winter/fall weather and the laid back beachy atmosphere that puts everyone in a better mood. Welcome to Florida aka heaven on earth until mid May lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County