U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,410,472 times

Advertisements

My sense from the research I have been doing is that the northeast and northwest sections of Palm Bay are the older, less desireable sections, and the the southeast and southwest are newer and more desireable. Can someone who lives in Palm Bay confirm that impression?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,681,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
My sense from the research I have been doing is that the northeast and northwest sections of Palm Bay are the older, less desireable sections, and the the southeast and southwest are newer and more desireable. Can someone who lives in Palm Bay confirm that impression?
NE section is all pretty much 1980 homes. Homes off Port Malabar closer to river is old General Development homes built in the 60s with newer homes built in many areas. NE section off Emerson is also mostly built pre 1990 but the homes were a little higher priced General Development homes and then other builders. Homes off Charles built in the late 70s early 80s.

When you compare how prices have fallen on homes built in the 2000s in the SE and SW sections the homes in the NE have not lost as much value. Selling for what they sold in original years or even better if remodeled. A good share of NE has city water and sewer. Many of the homes in this section are in need of remodeling but there are some nicer areas and beautiful homes as well. Many Harris engineers etc. bought homes in the NE section and have maintained them well keeping values up somewhat.

NW homes mostly built in late 80s early 90s with newer homes farther West Most have city water with a septic tank in this region. Just seems more crowded in that section so not one of my favorite areas of town. Not all homes well taken care of...

SW is sort of considered a more redneck area with some really badly maintained roads. It can be pretty far out and take awhile to get everywhere else in the city. It is my least favorite section of town and we hardly looked at any houses when looking to downsize. Homes for the most part were built in the 90s but still lots of empty lots. All are pretty much well and septic.

SE basically has about 3 differetn areas. Bay side area which has alittle classier homes-gated communities-golf community etc. Near Bayside sort of anything South of Waco still mostly homes built after 2000 with 1/4 acre lots, good roads, on well and septic. Depending on where located homes can be really nice and well taken care of or there can be lots of foreclosures rotting on the lots being destroyed by intruders or old owners before they lost them. An older section in SE (late 80s mixed with new construction of the 2000 years.

Elem. chools are rated pretty well in all sections. NW kids in High school may still be bused to Mel high for school. Kids in NE in will be bused to Melbourne for Junior high and high school- Stone and then Palm Bay High School.
Stone is off Lipscom and University so not in good neighborhood but kids can do really well there despite what people will say. My sons took 2 years of high school algebra there before they go to Palm Bay and had really good science teachers there.

SE and SW kids will pretty much go to Bayside High or Heritage for high school I think. Junior high is SouthWest.

As for which is more desirable, it is pretty much a toss up. Many will tell you to stay away completely but they are basically people who don't live here, expected more than a living community, and think it is boring compared to where they came from in the NE where night life begins at 3AM. LOL It is a great town for raising families with lots of very nice people from all walks and realm of life, from all areas of the world, religion, and races. It is home.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
That is a fair assessment.

The NE and NW sections of Palm Bay around the Port Malabar area are older, busier and were most of the crime is. The SW and SE is better, a little more countryish, for Palm Bay. The homes are newer and not as close.

The best part of Palm Bay, is the SE location, Bayside Lakes.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,410,472 times
Thank you Rabflmom and Reiner1. Your information is extremely helpful. We're planning a move in less than 10 months and we'll use your info to guide our house hunting. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County