Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,694 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Brevard County soon and I would appreciate any input on location and schools.

We are in our 40's and have a 1st grader. We are looking for a fun, family oriented place to call home. Schools are very important and I would appreciate any insight to the best public schools, magnet schools or charter schools in the area.
We are currently looking at West Melbourne, Viera, Rockledge and possibly Merritt Island.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 AM

729 posts, read 961,682 times
We looked at all the ones you mention and went with West Melbourne. Our children are HS aged though. Most places we went to schools, basically all, and they just give you forms. You know hard to get great insight with a visit.

Merritt Island seems to us to be a great place to buy a house on the river if that is what you might like, there are also a few bad places I have seen in Merritt but just a few. We did not pick it because not only are the better houses more expensive the traffic in getting to mainland jobsites makes it difficult. I especially do not like driving on route 520 across Merritt. The schools there are mixed, but not sure 100% at your kids level.

Rockledge had rare good neighborhood in Viera part, and the rest not in best shape. We did not like the schools we saw. Real Estate prices ok.

Viera (most addressed Melbourne, some Rockledge) is super promoted here. We could not accept that the high school went from 2500 in the brochure given by our agent to 3000 when we visited, to something like 3500 if they said we would register for the upcoming year. So explosive growth is leading this area. We found the same houses as the rest of the county about $200K higher priced. It seemed high and with that kind of high school growth we were wary of how well it is handled. However some neighborhoods are way back in there, and seem like just miles of neighborhoods to get out.

So we went West Melbourne. There is a magnet school here but since our children are too old for that, can't say we visited. The housing here is stable. We like access to jobs. We like access to the shopping and restaurants/stores of Palm Bay Rd area easily reached. I do think route 192 is a bit crowded at certain times.

Hope that helps

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 15,764 times
Default Also moving to Brevard County

We are also moving to Brevard County...in a few months. I have 3 young children (4,6,8). We are interested in Merritt Island. Can anyone give me information and advice on the area? Thank you!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,694 times
Hello~
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your input about cities and schools.

Another question came up recently. Is there anywhere close to Viera / Melbourne area to waterski & wakeboard. (without gators!) lol

I currently have a tournament ski boat and my daughter loves to go tubing and loves waterskiing. My husband is into go fast boating and I understand there are a lot of places for him to run his boat. If there is not a close place for me to have my boat then I would consider selling it in the spring before we make the move to Fl. I would prefer to keep it though if there is a close place to enjoy it.

Again, any information is appreciated!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 8,117,869 times
Basically any water can have gators in it, snakes, too. I see people water ski and wake board in the river sometimes.. Usually the noise will keep gators away.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 AM

481 posts, read 860,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moresunplease View Post
Hello~
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your input about cities and schools.

Another question came up recently. Is there anywhere close to Viera / Melbourne area to waterski & wakeboard. (without gators!) lol

I currently have a tournament ski boat and my daughter loves to go tubing and loves waterskiing. My husband is into go fast boating and I understand there are a lot of places for him to run his boat. If there is not a close place for me to have my boat then I would consider selling it in the spring before we make the move to Fl. I would prefer to keep it though if there is a close place to enjoy it.

Again, any information is appreciated!
There is always the Indian River Lagoon (other words known as just the river here locally). Much water sports going on in the Lagoon. It is salt not fresh water though, but a many miles of it to have fun on. I grew up on the Lagoon & still live off the Lagoon and have done much water sports, fishing (from boat, wading, and shoreline), commercial fishing, swimming, and so forth and so forth. There are gators in the Lagoon, but they are in the brackish water, which are the canals or creeks spurring off the Lagoon (ex. Crane Creek, Turkey Creek, etc., etc.). Never in my 40 plus years here in Melbourne, FL, nor in my past generations here (I am 4th generation), have we had any issue with gators in the Lagoon. We do have manatees though, which are gentle giants and are always in threat/danger of careless boaters.

We do have fresh water lakes, but they are further inland (central FL) that offer fresh water skiing, tubing, boarding, etc., etc., but your best bet is the Indian River Lagoon.

As per "Go Fast Boats", they are all over the Lagoon and in the Ocean, but be careful, as the Marine Patrol frowns on high speed boats in the Lagoon.

Good luck and have fun! On-On!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM

142 posts, read 314,234 times
Smile Expert opinion needed

You seem to be one of the more knowledgeable and objective people on the forum when it comes to Melbourne, so I am humbly soliciting your opinion about a few sub-divisions that have been given 'mixed reviews' by friends of ours....primarily because of location.

Eastwood Park
Live Oak
Suntree Forest
Pebble Creek
Deer Lakes
Grand Haven
Parkway Meadows
Greystone
Weston Park

During our two visits to Melbourne, we saw each of the above communities and (from the viewpoint of a tourist/visitor), they all seemed okay to us.
However, friends of ours who reside in the Melbourne area are telling us that some of the communities are too close to Route 1; others are too far south, etc.

Essentially, each of our friends wants us to move to THEIR community.....which is nice, but........they are all younger and still working full time while we are both 'retired' and will be living mostly on a fixed income for the rest of our lives. (We are reserving the right to go back to work on a part time basis, just to supplement our income, but don't want to rely on it because the opportunity may not always be there.)

So.....any information or assistance that you can offer regarding the above mentioned sub-divisions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM

We went down there last week to visit and pick a town -- we fell in love with the area - so beautiful! Can anyone shed light on Melbourne Beach? It seems to have everything: great schools, homes on or near the water, reasonable prices for the homes, etc. Are there any glaring negatives to be aware of? We are choosing between Melbourne Beach and Viera...thanks so much for any input!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM

729 posts, read 961,682 times
Hi Becca, having been here not that long I agree with melbourne beach if I were moving beachside. It has a better beachside feel than say cocoa beach for me. I have seen more affordable housing there compaired to others too, but I am not in the beachside buying market just visited a few to see in the recent past. The downside of living beachside (aside from hurricanes where you will need to evacuate somewhere) is that if you each day work and/or go mainland it gets real bothersome to go across. At first that might not seem like a bother but after some months of doing it it gets real tired. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks! Hurricanes and isolation are certainly downsides. I appreciate the insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County