Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM

45 posts, read 107,195 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
Lablovr I hope someone answers your question because I'm also the same age and was thinking about relocating there as well.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Ummm. I don't think there is a real way to answer this question, espcially with you being from SC

Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
deleted because double posted

Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Better than Hilton Head? yeah. Anyway I think older, richer, sort of uppity couples out on the golf courses, when I think Hilton Head because that has been my experience years ago when my husband was traveling with his company to build condos up there.

Cocoa Beach is on the ocean, but not really an exciting place for young folks. The advantage here is there are lots of fun things to do within driving range. It probably is less expensive to live here, too. Basically though if you are thinking a town on the beach where you can walk to shops and bars etc. this really isn't Cocoa Beach.

Teaching here? like everywhere- the jobs are limited. I would start watching the county school site for vacancies and get the ap in now so it is on file when jobs become available. Apply for the Florida license so you will be ready to take a job. Be willing to sub so you meet people and can get the step up to full time.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Rabflmom, thank you for the information. Although I'm not the OP this thread has been helpful to me as well.

When you say fun things are in driving distance and not in Cocoa Beach, is there another nearby town that would be better for people like myself and the OP for socializing and such?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Better than Hilton Head? yeah. Anyway I think older, richer, sort of uppity couples out on the golf courses, when I think Hilton Head because that has been my experience years ago when my husband was traveling with his company to build condos up there.

Cocoa Beach is on the ocean, but not really an exciting place for young folks. The advantage here is there are lots of fun things to do within driving range. It probably is less expensive to live here, too. Basically though if you are thinking a town on the beach where you can walk to shops and bars etc. this really isn't Cocoa Beach.

Teaching here? like everywhere- the jobs are limited. I would start watching the county school site for vacancies and get the ap in now so it is on file when jobs become available. Apply for the Florida license so you will be ready to take a job. Be willing to sub so you meet people and can get the step up to full time.

Thanks you got that for me. I was thinking that Cocoa Beach might not be the place as for what she was looking for in specifics.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 AM

CB would be a safe place to live and you have the whole Space Coast to shop, go out to eat, and to the various bars if that is what you are looking for, but when I said things to do I was meaning festivals, concerts, theme parks in and around Central Florida. We have always just considered anything in Central Florida home. Working in a school there will be the school functions and other younger teachers to socialize with, too.

Don't know a lot about the dating scene here in the area,since my sons are close to your age and don't drink. About 35 years ago, I did meet my husband here on the space coast, though. So it is possible.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
I think someone looking for a classic, friendly small Florida beach town can do no better than Cocoa Beach. If you live anywhere near downtown you have dozens of restaurants and bars within walking distance and several cool coffee shops. Within a four block radius you have Juice n Java, The Green Room Cafe, The Surfinista coffee shop, Simply Delicious, The Heidelburg, Heidi's Jazz Lounge, Cocoa Beach Sports Pub with a new Mexican place next door, Cocoa Beach Brewing Company, The Yellow House Restaurant, The New Habit, The Beach Shack, Coconuts on the Beach, Yen Yen Chinese, Cocoa Beach Thai and Sushi, Roberto's Cuban, Jonathans, Pompano Grill, Eagle's Nest, Slow n Low BBQ, Pig and Whistle and several other small dive bars and take-away places tucked away. It doesn't take long to be accepted into this friendly small town community. As far as things to do, besides the surf and the beach we've got the Thousand Islands in the Banana River for fishing and kayaking and an excellent tennis facility and 27 holes of golf at the public Country Club. You can ride a bike on the beach all the way to Port Canaveral.

I think a lot of people confuse the tourist part of Cocoa Beach north around the Pier and Ron Jons with the real Cocoa Beach which is the downtown area and south of there. Two completely different experiences. Take this all knowing that I could be biased as I love my town.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I think someone looking for a classic, friendly small Florida beach town can do no better than Cocoa Beach. If you live anywhere near downtown you have dozens of restaurants and bars within walking distance and several cool coffee shops. Within a four block radius you have Juice n Java, The Green Room Cafe, The Surfinista coffee shop, Simply Delicious, The Heidelburg, Heidi's Jazz Lounge, Cocoa Beach Sports Pub with a new Mexican place next door, Cocoa Beach Brewing Company, The Yellow House Restaurant, The New Habit, The Beach Shack, Coconuts on the Beach, Yen Yen Chinese, Cocoa Beach Thai and Sushi, Roberto's Cuban, Jonathans, Pompano Grill, Eagle's Nest, Slow n Low BBQ, Pig and Whistle and several other small dive bars and take-away places tucked away. It doesn't take long to be accepted into this friendly small town community. As far as things to do, besides the surf and the beach we've got the Thousand Islands in the Banana River for fishing and kayaking and an excellent tennis facility and 27 holes of golf at the public Country Club. You can ride a bike on the beach all the way to Port Canaveral.

I think a lot of people confuse the tourist part of Cocoa Beach north around the Pier and Ron Jons with the real Cocoa Beach which is the downtown area and south of there. Two completely different experiences. Take this all knowing that I could be biased as I love my town.
This is great info! Can you recommend a realtor that can show some nice annual rentals? I have been searching online but I can't seem to find anything that isn't a vacation rental, or the apartments seem so inexpensive that it seems like they are really in a different neighborhood and not safe or near the beach. What streets/area should be the focus in an apartment search for downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: