Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM

22 posts, read 102,913 times

Advertisements

I am coming out later this month for an interview with a private engineering company in Rockledge. I am in the process of looking into the area and curious for other people's opinions about some questions I have. I have a wife and 2 boys (ages 3 and 8 months).

Here are some of the questions that I have specifically about the area:

- Would you say that the area in general is a good place to raise a family?

- How "stable" is the area? I know NASA just had layoffs, but what about everything else?(in terms of the housing market, jobs, etc...) I am worried about the on-going and future effect of the housing bust in FL.

- Looking at crime indexes and sexual offender maps, some areas look worse than I would have thought. Can anyone speak to this? Do you feel safe there?

- What does the future growth look like for the area? Is it trending in a positive direction?

- How are the public schools in the area?

- Being that I would be working in Rockledge, where would you suggest living to balance commute and good neighborhoods/schools?

- We are Christians and go to what I would call a "progressive non-denominational church" and we love it; it is modeled after the Willow Creek church in IL. Any good recommendations for churches that I can check out online for the area?

- Given our situation, any general thoughts or advice?

Thanks for reading!

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM

22 posts, read 102,913 times
anyone?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,393 times
Hi Langstaf. How was your interview? I just moved to Rockledge/Viera in July 2011. My boys are age 4 and 9. Viera means faith and there are plenty of churches for you to choose from. I find the schools to be excellent. We moved here from CT/NYC metro area. It's very quiet, safe, and borderline boring. Where are you coming from?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 26,540 times
<<<< --- My thoughts exactly. Brevard is very boring for the kids. We unfortunately moved to Palm Bay because of the super low housing pricing and boy was that a mistake. We thought about Rockledge but seems like there is less to do there. Our child is in the #1 public school in Palm Bay and I dont think it can hold a candle to the PS we had our child in NY. We plan on moving back up north asap. I would advise you to think real hard before you make the move. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarFam2001 View Post
<<<< --- My thoughts exactly. Brevard is very boring for the kids. We unfortunately moved to Palm Bay because of the super low housing pricing and boy was that a mistake. We thought about Rockledge but seems like there is less to do there. Our child is in the #1 public school in Palm Bay and I dont think it can hold a candle to the PS we had our child in NY. We plan on moving back up north asap. I would advise you to think real hard before you make the move. Good luck with whatever you choose!
A matter of opinion. I'd be bored to tears in upstate NY. Space coast is close enough to Orlando and you have the beaches. It's only boring if you want it to be

Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM

1 hr & half is not that close. If you want to be near orlando you would move to a suburb. What do we have to do here for kids really? Beaches and Andretti? And yes upstate, NY is very boring. I am coming from NYC so I guess I see things differently.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
1 hr & half is not that close. If you want to be near orlando you would move to a suburb. What do we have to do here for kids really? Beaches and Andretti? And yes upstate, NY is very boring. I am coming from NYC so I guess I see things differently.
I just don't get it.....

one question?

Do your kids have no interests to expand? How can a child be bored? There are so many things to do with every age......Shoot I even had 4- 12 year olds writing with chalk on our fence and then painting the wall with paint brushes and buckets of water...... and they had a blast.

I cannot imagine anyone being bored here.....There is so much to discover.

And we do have movies, bowling alleys, pool tables, school and city sports, dance lessons and recitals, music lessons and recitals, church activities, parks, swimming pools, video arcades, shopping centers, librairies, drama camps, space camps,festivals, fairs, and something going on somewhere in the county almost every weekend.

Actually 2 questions.....

What do kids in NYC do that they cannot do here? Go to a Yankees game?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Good luck finding a house with a backyard for your family in NYC. And btw, nothing is quite like NYC For things to do. Quite silly to compare it to palm bay

Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Hmm, Very defensive on any anti-florida posts it seems rabflmom. Well in NYC we have ... Museums, Broadway, Times Square and all its glory (Wax museum, Dave & Buster, Imax, Etc) Mets stadium, Giants stadium, MSG, & yes YANKEE stadium. And thats only the tip of the iceberg. Please lets not compare thing for children to do in Brevard & NYC. My post was my opinion thats all like it or dont. To each his own. The OP wanted advice and I gave it. To me the only good thing out of Florida is Disney!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
Quote:
Well in NYC we have ... Museums, Broadway, Times Square and all its glory (Wax museum, Dave & Buster, Imax, Etc) Mets stadium, Giants stadium, MSG, & yes YANKEE stadium. And thats only the tip of the iceberg.
I'm born and bred NYer and am also looking to move to Cocoa Beach, and I understand being homesick for things in NYC, but honestly, who does all of these activities every weekend? I don't know your financial situation, but all of these things cost a pretty penny, I know my parents didn't take us for all of these that often.

Its a free country and you could certainly move back here, but I don't see how NYC is a good place to raise kids without a lot of money. The public schools suck and the crime is getting worse with this economy, even LI is turning for the worst.

I hope you find happiness whatever you choose to do, good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County