Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 PM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 3,087,170 times

Advertisements

Brevard Co. is served by Orlando TV & radio. It would seem some in N. Brevard Co. would commute to Orlando for work. Many Orlandans go to Brevard beaches.

So why does it seem the two areas aren't very well connected? What's driving this & what is the solution?

As Brevard's economy transitions of of a government/space-based economy, it seems to me she should connect to her larger neighbor to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,235,299 times
Seems fairly connected to me (via the 528 )

Seriously though, before Disney, Orlando had LMT (Lockheed Martin). Melbourne also has it. There is some connection there.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM

26,884 posts, read 43,382,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Brevard Co. is served by Orlando TV & radio. It would seem some in N. Brevard Co. would commute to Orlando for work. Many Orlandans go to Brevard beaches.

So why does it seem the two areas aren't very well connected? What's driving this & what is the solution?

As Brevard's economy transitions of of a government/space-based economy, it seems to me she should connect to her larger neighbor to survive.
I don't think Brevard County has any kind of a desire (or need) to latch onto Orlando for "survival". It has a decent economy given it's population and a highly educated workforce that has and will continue to attract high-tech to the area despite the gloom and doom forecasted at the end of the Shuttle program (and for the record NASA is not pulling out of the area). It is by no means transitioning out of anything. Unlike the Orlando metro area, Brevard has managed to control growth and seemingly has a comprehensive growth plan. Titusville is the only municipality that might be considered the exception and perhaps many of those who working at Lake Nona or UCF will take advantage of Titusville's lower housing costs and advantages that coastal living provide. It's also conceivable given limitations at Orlando International to see a bit of a growth spurt at Melbourne International. Sanford International has seen some success with Allegiant Airline and international charters, so it's not a leap to suggest Melbourne International might see the same given the equidistance of the two airports to the Disney Area. There is also the expanding cruise ship industry out of Port Canaveral to consider, which has a substantial draw to the area from all over the country.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 AM

334 posts, read 1,146,710 times
Connect how? There are plenty of roads between Brevard and metro Orlando. If you're talking about connect physically, the St. Johns River and all the SJRWMD-owned swamplands prevent Orlando sprawl from spreading too far east. There will always be that significant barrier keeping us physically separated from Orlando.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 3,087,170 times
Forgetting about the St. John's basin for a minute, the connectivity between Orange-Seminole-Osceloa is seemless (you can't tell where one area starts & another begins, except for signage). I suppose I'm referring to that, as well as a lack of cross-communting & cross commercialization between the two areas.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 AM

People are odd with their self-imposed barriers I suppose. When I used to live in the Philadelphia area people were that way about Delaware. People would think nothing of commuting 45 minutes to an hour north, east (into NJ) or west of the city but never much occurred to many to commute to/from Wilmington, Delaware which was to the south and an easy commute up I-95 or via regional rail.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 AM

3,973 posts, read 8,115,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Forgetting about the St. John's basin for a minute, the connectivity between Orange-Seminole-Osceloa is seemless (you can't tell where one area starts & another begins, except for signage). I suppose I'm referring to that, as well as a lack of cross-communting & cross commercialization between the two areas.
Cross commuting and cross commercialization? I think that is happening from some areas of Brevard, but it would be a long commute for most of us because the major population in Brevard is in the South part of the county and it takes over an hour to get to the airport which is on the far East side of Orlando. Why travel that far when we can work here and save the commute for when we want to feel like tourists. A lot of our businesses are advertising on the Orlando stations so I do think people from the 3 counties you listed might be heading out this way on weekends too.

I think most people on the coast have a little different outlook on life than people who live in the interior of the state, too. Here we are more into the nature type activities enjoying the beach, fishing, boating etc right in out own neighborhoods. And as I have stated on here before-our neighborhood consists of the whole Space Coast so it is a big neighborhood with lots of ammenities. If it weren't for WDW, SW, U S, the airport having cheaper flights than Melbourne, and my son living in one of the counties, I have no reason to go to Orlando.
We used to hit Orlando more when Orlando was not the tourist trap that it has become.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I think most people on the coast have a little different outlook on life than people who live in the interior of the state, too. Here we are more into the nature type activities enjoying the beach, fishing, boating etc right in out own neighborhoods.
Excellent point. Most people around here (interior Central Florida) seem perfectly content living indoors.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,235,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Cross commuting and cross commercialization? I think that is happening from some areas of Brevard, but it would be a long commute for most of us because the major population in Brevard is in the South part of the county and it takes over an hour to get to the airport which is on the far East side of Orlando.
West Melbourne to the airport can be done in 50 mins, easily. Viera/Cocoa etc., much quicker than that.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM

3,973 posts, read 8,115,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
West Melbourne to the airport can be done in 50 mins, easily. Viera/Cocoa etc., much quicker than that.
That is why I said from some areas.....still a good 15-25 minutes to Palm Bay Road from a big share of the populated areas in SE and SW Palm Bay unless you are closer to Malabar and San Filippo to get on I-95 to get North. Drive time can get backed up and slow things down, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County