U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

219 posts, read 509,844 times

Advertisements

Friends recommended it. Does anyone on the board live there? If so, do you like it? What is a reasonable price for a condo or small home? My wife and I are thinking about retiring there. Of course we plan to visit. What is good and bad about it> Thanks for your time and for sharing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 22,377 times
This forum has some previous posts that dive into the pros and cons of various areas & neighborhoods including cocoa beach. I know many people are asking the same question (we are)! My family has visited Cocoa Beach over the past few years (initially we went to see the shuttle launches, but then we went back because we enjoyed the area so much), and I now have a job opportunity that would allow us to live there. We are heading back there the end of this month to scout out the neighborhoods, look at places to live, check out the schools, and just spend more time surveying the area. I will report back on my perspective.

Here are the top reasons why my family of 4 (2 teenage boys) is considering Cocoa Beach:
1. Schools - Cocoa Beach HS, Satellite Beach HS, and Edgwood are top schools in the area. Plus the science, math, engineering & technology focus is attractive.
2. Affordability - Although beachside living is more expensive than inland, now is a very affordable time to rent or own if you have a steady income. My company calculates cost of living and Melbourne, FL = Cedar Rapids, IA. Wild.
3. Activities that my family enjoys doing -- Together! -- At the beach its surfing, soccer, volleyball, & morning walks, On the River its kayaking, fishing, and boating (tubing, wakeboarding, cruising).
4. Environment - We just enjoy the variety of marine and animal life in the area.
5. Community - We have been warmly welcomed on our visits and felt a strong sense of ownership and pride in the Cocoa Beach community. Plus the impact of Kennedy Space Center and NASA can be felt in the area.
6. Location - Orlando and other cities are close, and the includes access to transportation (airlines, train, interstates)
7. Coastal climate - I just prefer it over the Orlando / Gulf side.

So there's my list and personal bias. But for more info on the local real estate market I would spend some time on Larry's website:
Larry's Take on the Cocoa Beach Florida Real Estate Market

Best wishes!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM

23,614 posts, read 35,963,263 times
I would weigh in and say the area is nice and would recommend other nearby towns that are more quiet/residential, particularly on weekends. Indialantic or Satellite Beach in my opinion are more resident-friendly and would still feature what you like about Cocoa Beach in general.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 PM

110 posts, read 520,457 times
Arrow Cocoa Beach is a great town

I am going to second the notion that Cocoa Beach is a great coastal town with a good school system and relatively uncrowded beaches. The best area is South Cocoa Beach. We bought a condo there back in 2007 and I have never questioned the decision. The beach is mostly empty since there is not public parking. We feel as if we have a private beach. My realtor was Larry Walker who is mentioned above. He is an ethical realtor which sometimes is an oxymoron. I would highly recommend that you read his blog. It will give you a good feel for the market and general life in Cocoa Beach. We love the Thousand Islands, Merritt Island National Wildlife refuge and the thrill of the rocket launches especially at night. If you get starved for other entertainment, Orlando is an hours drive away. We have had many friends, family etc take advantage of our condo. Universally all fall in love with the place. The Space Coast does not get the press of South Florida/Miami, Gulf Coast/Naples/Sarasota. It is a hidden gem that is a slice of old time Florida before the boon times.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,193,726 times
As many have mentioned in other posts, there is much to like in Cocoa Beach as well as the other beachside communities. I am also an avid reader of the above mentioned blog by Larry Walker. It's a great place to find market trends and local happenings.
One thing that has changed fairly drastically since this post started in mid 2012 is how high the market has gone up. Beachside has never been cheap, but it no longer is viable deal for many families. Lower inventory and high demand has shot up prices about 40% higher since this post started. I feel there is still an upswing all over, but I doubt the affordability comparison mentioned above is still valid. Still, this time of the year may prove to be the best time to consider buying. Snowbirds have not taken over just yet and most families will wait for next spring when they can move between school terms. Beaches are light in population and weather is just about perfect right now. Great time to check the area out or re-visit before the Snowbirds flock down.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,301 times
I have enjoyed the comments about Cocoa Beach and it comes recommended from a bridge buddy here in Ohio.We wintered in New Smyrna Beach for a few years. How expensive is it for retired people? Are there 55+ mobile home parks?

Old 04-20-2018, 02:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 12,658,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDan0819 View Post
I have enjoyed the comments about Cocoa Beach and it comes recommended from a bridge buddy here in Ohio.We wintered in New Smyrna Beach for a few years. How expensive is it for retired people? Are there 55+ mobile home parks?
Not in cocoa beach.... barefoot bay is a big 55+ trailer park

Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM

413 posts, read 242,925 times
Is Cocoa Beach a nice place to live? (Miami, Orlando: real estate market, to rent)
No.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 PM

12,022 posts, read 12,658,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
Is Cocoa Beach a nice place to live? (Miami, Orlando: real estate market, to rent)
No.
It's not bad if you like beach towns. The common misconception is that the residential area is next to Ron Jon's. Good schools and closest beach to Orlando too

Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,193,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
No.
Just curious why you feel this way?
Cocoa Beach has:
Above Average schools.
Really nice beaches.
Great restaurant and dining choices.
Nice beach vibe town.
Multiple housing type choices.
Great proximity to many activities and attractions.
I happen to love it here and hope one day to live here. What's not to like (besides a bit of a crowd during snowbird season)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County