U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,758 times

Advertisements

My wife has just retired and I will be retiring soon. We are looking for something close enough fora bike ride to the beach. I need some opinions on the Satellite, Indialantic and Melbourne Beach areas. Are there any areas we should stay away from? Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM

23,706 posts, read 36,117,796 times
All three are good choices though I'm partial to Indialantic's housing stock in terms of upkeep and overall neighborhood feel. You'll probably get a bit more for your money in Satellite Beach, but would tell you to avoid a few areas near A1A that are clearly heavily rental populated. You didn't mention Indian Harbour Beach or Patrick Shores which is a good thing as I find much of them kind of rundown, though certainly not dangerous.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:26 PM

66 posts, read 293,663 times
Indian Harbour Beach is in between Satelite Beach and Indiatlantic Beach. I don't see how that area is considered run down, but everyone has their own idea on what they consider not nice. It gets more "run" down the closer you get to the base in Satelite Beach. All the areas you mentioned are great areas. You can pretty much bike to the beach(or even walk) from any of those places. The beaches don't have a bunch of tourists and you may spot sea turtles coming up to nest.(AWESOME sight to see, but you can't interfere with them). You can also bike to the banana river (its the river you cross when you go across the causeways), bunch of manatees and dolphins in there. Good fishing too, if you're into that. The park we always went to was called Oars and Paddles Park. Here are the directions if you would like to check it out

1329 Banana River Drive
Indian Harbour Beach

FROM US Hwy 1, take US-192 (Melbourne Cswy) east, turn left on North Riverside Drive (SR-513) and go north 4.7 miles (the road becomes South Patrick Drive). Turn left on Banana River Drive and go 0.1 miles.

Houses are decently priced nowadays. Might be worth looking into since that area is on sort of an island..with the river being on one side and the ocean on the other. Don't see too much of that any where else in the US.
Good luck with your retirement!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM

10,128 posts, read 13,057,830 times
There are some great deals in condos directly on the beach. We spent the last 10-years at Opal Seas in Satellite Beach (about 100ft from the ocean) ... and loved it! Also, for retirees, condos offer less ongoing maintenance, repairs and upkeep of pool, club areas etc. --- But, maybe you like yardwork and the like?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,758 times
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are planning a trip down there this August.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM

3,812 posts, read 7,092,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are some great deals in condos directly on the beach. We spent the last 10-years at Opal Seas in Satellite Beach (about 100ft from the ocean) ... and loved it! Also, for retirees, condos offer less ongoing maintenance, repairs and upkeep of pool, club areas etc. --- But, maybe you like yardwork and the like?
The thing that scares me about condos is that if the HOA is not good and people fall behind on their fees or a lot of the units have been foreclosed on, if a storm hits, the repairs won't be able to be done through insurance. Several condos along A1A either didn't have enough insurance, or too many delinquent owners, or too many vacancies in 2004 when the hurricanes hit them. They ended up being torn down with owners losing out. So do your homework.....I even know some places where the HOAS left older owners opt out when it came to fees covering ammenities like pools, tennis, clubhouse, golf courses etc. if they weren't going to use them, but that means smaller number of people paying for the up keep etc. .

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 PM

34 posts, read 61,777 times
If you need a great real estate agent
Please email me: professormsm@yahoo.com
She just visited a property that I put an
Application in for in Indian Harbor Beach.
She is very on the ball and ethical. Good
Luck with your search! Cindy

Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 AM

3,812 posts, read 7,092,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyG View Post
My wife has just retired and I will be retiring soon. We are looking for something close enough fora bike ride to the beach. I need some opinions on the Satellite, Indialantic and Melbourne Beach areas. Are there any areas we should stay away from? Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
Personally, I would choose to live in Melbourne Beach, but it is a little more expensive. You could bike anywhere in town. There is only 1 stoplight in the whole town. There are a few restaurants, a local grocery, a library, a golf course, a pier on the river at the community park that always has the small town look with older people playing horseshoes, the kids playing, a couple banks, a good elementary school, a few churches, and 3 of my favorite beaches.

Since you are retired and don't have to drive anywhere to work every morning, I would even say look south of town all the way down to the town of Floridiana Beach which is definitely just a little beach town between the river and ocean.

The one draw back of choosing MB and South over the more Northern Satellite Beach or Indian Harbour Beach , if we do have storms that come in, they are closer to area storms seem to come in at and there is a little more damage.
also a farther drive to most other things you will need to do, but it is more relaxed area. My kind of neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County