Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,212,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llews View Post
I would love to discuss the rental market. We can't find a home. We will need to rent the first year then focus on a home to purchase. Im open to MI, CB, Satellite/indian
There's some stuff in West Melbourne if you're willing to go farther south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,440,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
For such a big move, it's almost always better to rent first!
Exactly!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,102,872 times
One word of caution.....always check for changes in school boundaries. A couple of my co-workers didn't pay much attention and their kids won't be going to the same school that they went to last year. No negotiations about changing when they went to register either. They live in West Melbourne but will be bussed to a school off Babcock street near FIT in Melbourne. It now puts their home in Stone Jr high boundary, too. The school they attended last year was at better than 90% capacity so to fill a school that wasn't the boundaries were changed is what they told one of my friends.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 34,636 times
Nice to see you have done some research. But please, rent, rent, rent, as long as needed. We own a home in Indialantic. We may be jaded, but our neighborhood has really turned for the worse and we often wished we were renting. Be wary of salespoeple who will talk about cheap money, low rates and good deals. I see the same things from 2003/2004 happening again.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM

96 posts, read 204,917 times
"Beachside" doesn't mean everything like most people tend to think. There are a lot of scuzzy looking places in beachside.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM

200 posts, read 480,218 times
I'm glad you did this for your kids (though you shouldn't be uprooting any child in their teens!) as my parents didn't. They thought moving to PSJ, near NASA would mean great public schools. I went to Titusville HS and it was crap. My parents later on realized what a big mistake they had made making assumptions about the area. I'm self-educated now (traveling will do that to you faster than a textbook), but I do wonder how my life after HS would have turned out had I gone to a HS which had actually prepared me for the real world.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM

25 posts, read 67,691 times
My daughter just started at Eau Gallie High School,this A graded school is awesome.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 AM

587 posts, read 1,082,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llews View Post
I would love to discuss the rental market. We can't find a home. We will need to rent the first year then focus on a home to purchase. Im open to MI, CB, Satellite/indian
PM me. - I'm not a realtor, not an agent and am not going to make a penny out of it! - But I do know where there are some really good places to let. And I don't have an interest in them.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM

12 posts, read 22,213 times
Default schools change constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara12 View Post
My daughter just started at Eau Gallie High School,this A graded school is awesome.
It is amazing how much any schools can change in just a couple of years! When I attended EG we had a childcare program (which I believe is still there) and it was not uncommon to have class w/more than one pregnant classmate. The Early Childhood Ed. Course was made to help pregnant students, which is great, but seeing the sex thrown in your face all the time was obnoxious. . . and I was not a "perfect" straight laced kid... anyway, the band and athletics were really great though! and I am glad to hear it is better. Personally, I hope my kids (IF we are in FL still) attend Mel High, as the academics WERE better (no idea these days as it has been a few years now...)

Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM

17 posts, read 47,815 times
Please let me know what you thought about satellite HS in comparison to the others. We met with Mel High and Satellite last week and spent 5 days combing the entire area in-depth and felt the same - pumped before we went to poke around, and saw a lot of great houses - but now just confused and cautious. There's no clear win here. We're looking Indialantic / Indian Harbor / beachside / Lansing / Tortoise / a bit south on mel beach or now maybe Merritt. Just looking to be on water. We'll get a house after we pick the school. We didn't check out Merritt HS (may need to do that on next trip, but I never hear it come up as a 'go-to' school - so I'm curious to hear what you found), and Viera HS is just too big for my taste. We have boy/girl twins that will be headed into junior year next year - both play sports and we're hoping they can come and fit in somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County