U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,078 times

Advertisements

My husband recently accepted a position with NASA, yes, they are still hiring, and we have been in the process of relocating for months.

We decided to USAA movers advantage program and that was a real let down. The realtor we were assigned told us to look up homes on the MLS and send a list to him. That behavior lasted during our entire search until we finally decided to just give up on him. After researching the program I learned that they take quite a big chunk of the realtors commission. I suppose thats why he seemed less than eager to help us relocate.

We looked at MI, Rockledge, and Suntree. After deciding on a home in MI, we got quotes for insurance at over $5500 a year. Holy Groundhog! Are you serious? Needless to say, we took our $325k budget and looked at other areas. We have some very specific home needs and had a tough time finding a home. We are moving into Viera...the flat plains across 95...and I'm a little disappointed that I'm not getting my tropical oasis that I wanted. What's the general opinion of the Viera area?

I've read a couple of comments mentioning how easy it is to find a home right now, but it was very difficult for us. We needed an outright sale, no short sale or foreclosure, and nothing needing repairs. At the end I just threw in the towel.

I suppose the upside to Viera is that the elementary school is good and there are neighborhoods full of children.

Anyone have opinions on the Viera children's academy?

This is my first post...so be kind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM

12,017 posts, read 12,797,798 times
Viera is a newer "manufactured" community, but it's nice. Def where the nicer shopping areas are. If I had to live on the mainland, I would choose to live there. The only downside is the lack of waterfront properties (minus a few small lakes/retention ponds off 95 where there are houses).]

Schools are considered to be excellent in that area. You really can't go wrong with most of Brevard in general for schools, as it's in top 10 overall for the state for school quality.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 AM

6,448 posts, read 5,037,379 times
Buyers should be aware that a Realtor who is part of any relocation referral service may be less motivated to give 100% effort since they won't be receiving anything close to 100% pay. In addition to the healthy bite that USAA is taking off the top, the agent's own broker in many case will be taking another slice for turning over the client. Then after those two hits come off the top, the broker gets their customary split with the agent leaving a much-gnawed-upon shred of a commission check. The better agents typically steer clear of these referral programs for that reason so referred buyers often unknowingly find themselves with a less-experienced agent hungry enough for a paycheck to put up with the toll booths. On a related note, asking a Realtor to pay Aunt Pat or your best friend back home a referral since they are Realtors will sometimes contribute to the same reduced ambition in your buyer's agent.

Congrats on your move. You're still going to be a short hop to the beach and rivers.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM

96 posts, read 187,115 times
You aren't alone in what you found. We had a list of things we wanted in a house along with over 100k down and nearly perfect credit. We were shocked at the limited choices. Get did get lucky and were able to get a nice home in Suntree, although we had to increase our price range by $100k to find something we liked in an area with good schools. In the midwest we could have gotten everything we desired in a home at a much lesser price and here we felt like we had to settle for what was available. I'm not upset b/c we can sell it in a few years and not take a loss, but we weren't able to pick and choose like we'd thought we could. It's a different world down here.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM

699 posts, read 808,967 times
Well I lived in a lot of places. One always trades off the good and bad. I generally am not a person who recomends Viera but if that works for you good luck with it. I found it too costly for what you get, and schools are exploding with influx there seems like. But I can see how somebody might like it. I would buy in Viera over Merritt for a working person. Overall for me, the negative of Brevard (less than one year here still) is that the area is too conservative in its own kind of funny way. I don't like politics much, they all talk too much, so not just politics. The way things are conducted here is old school and not like WW2 era old school. That is why I call it as having its own nature, something that I am still adjusting to. I haven't seen many people say that kind of thing but this is not the same as other places in FL I lived or other states I lived. I lived in other places with their own ways of doing things and there is good and bad about that. If you work at it one might fit in well, just not how I like to do things, but one can work at it I guess. I am real impressed by the birding here and send lots of photos to family in other states of the latest birds (lots of roseate spoonbills lately). I am impressed by the number of companies here despite a bad economy in most of US. I am not a fan of defense industry practices (too much basically government handout, then there is the lobby stuff, and management layers, and so many other things) though, so too much of that for me. I am hoping NASA does pick some things up and grows into something new. So hopefully that will work for you. I'd love to see more a Trader Joe style crowd develop in Brevard.

Good luck with everything.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 PM

12,017 posts, read 12,797,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I am hoping NASA does pick some things up and grows into something new. So hopefully that will work for you. I'd love to see more a Trader Joe style crowd develop in Brevard.

Good luck with everything.
Have you checked out the downtown produce grocery store and stuff near downtown melbourne? It's not a huge area, but it's something

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM

24,227 posts, read 25,518,997 times
Viera is not mow-bile homes. Mostly up scale country club with pool type homes for the upper crust and retirees.It's beautiful with it's country club atmosphere palm trees. And bumper too bumper traffic and every one racing around going too Belks & Burdines & Bed Bath Beyond.. Been there done that.. 36 years in the area how time and attitudes change at one time it was so laid back, now it BOOMERs and in your face..and Bling Ville another Orlando. I got out !!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM

23,826 posts, read 36,511,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Viera is not mow-bile homes. Mostly up scale country club with pool type homes for the upper crust and retirees.It's beautiful with it's country club atmosphere palm trees. And bumper too bumper traffic and every one racing around going too Belks & Burdines & Bed Bath Beyond.. Been there done that.. 36 years in the area how time and attitudes change at one time it was so laid back, now it BOOMERs and in your face..and Bling Ville another Orlando. I got out !!
News flash....Burdines and Belk have been gone for years and Orlando has never been (and probably will never be) referred to in any circles as "Blingville"....unless the comparison point is mobile homes and front yards littered with cars on blocks and old appliances.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM

3,822 posts, read 7,151,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
News flash....Burdines and Belk have been gone for years and Orlando has never been (and probably will never be) referred to in any circles as "Blingville"....unless the comparison point is mobile homes and front yards littered with cars on blocks and old appliances.
Burdines became Macy's but Belk is still Belk and there is a store out at The Avenue. Used to shop the stores in Melbourne all the time, but rarely hit the store now that it is in Viera. I had forgotten all about it. LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 PM

23,826 posts, read 36,511,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Burdines became Macy's but Belk is still Belk and there is a store out at The Avenue. Used to shop the stores in Melbourne all the time, but rarely hit the store now that it is in Viera. I had forgotten all about it. LOL
Whoops, I stand corrected. I thought they had all gone out of business as there aren't any remaining in the Orlando area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County