Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 AM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times

Advertisements

This is a highly subjective answer, but maybe there's a lesson in it somewhere (when - or if - you find it, please let me know.)

My wife and I are retired. We live where we want and we live there when we want. Between us, we have a number of nationalities and a number of 'entitlements'.

As I said (which seems to **** off US immigration) 'We live where we want, when we want.'

Between October and April I live in Florida. The scenery where I live (personal opinion) is amongst the most boring in the world.

The people where I live (again, personal opinion) are amongst the friendliest in the world.

i don't give a twopenny damn about 'scenery' between October and April. At that time of year I'm in Florida and I spend my time fishing, swimming and sailing. If the water's good (and it is) I'm happy.

Ib´n summer, I live in the Bavarian Alps. (But I am most certainly not Saupreuß, ) I spend most of my summer either in (or near) 'Paradies' or in (or near) Hölle. (both are beautiful places, but you wouldn't want to fall down a cliff into hell, would you?)

In summer, I live in the most beautiful place in the world. (Actually, to be honest, I live near it. - The most beautiful place in the world (as far as I'm concerned) is Walchensee.)

In winter, I live in the best place in the world.

Viera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 44,451 times
I dont know if you ended up coming down here, but I wanted to add a few things. I left the wonderful dry heat of AZ for the sticky crap of Florida. While here, Ive lived in Rockledge, Melbourne (32901) and Cocoa, (which is considered west cocoa where I am). One thing for sure is to stay out of cocoa. Where I am isnt so bad, more 'country' although still suburban, but during the 4th of July and New Years you will hear nothing but fireworks and firecrackers for a week b4 and some time afterwards. Its a NIGHTMARE and no one cares. They have 3 huge warehouses down the road selling the stuff, so what does that tell you? Theres alot of drugs and rednecky behavior. Of course there are alot of nice folks mixed in. Oh and off Lake Dr there is a gun range so if you dont mind hearing shooting from 9 am til when ever usually on weekends, then no problem there.

Rockledge was nice, but seemed to be becoming a ghost town like Cocoa is.

Melbourne wasnt bad at all. My only issue was I had a train a few hundred feet behind my house. You still have drugs and trouble makers but it was fairly quiet like Rockledge. There are seedier parts of melbourne and Ive been hearing ALL of melbourne is falling apart, so Im not sure as Ive only been gone a few years.
If you havent moved yet, good luck!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 7,530 times
Melbourne has work, Palm bay is a pit hole, titusville is dead,cocoa beach is the beach, cocoa is where the crime is and merritt is. is where people kool people live, work and live!

Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,985 times
I lived in West Melbourne for 3 years and enjoyed my time there. The downtown area is quaint. Meg O'Malley's, Off the Traxx, Island Pasta, Matt's Casbah, all great places to spend an evening. Try to stay north of University though. Viera is very nice, but pricier than Melbourne, Palm Bay has some sketchy areas, but over all it's ok, Cocoa Beach is cool but west cocoa, not so much.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sorelooser View Post
Melbourne has work, Palm bay is a pit hole, titusville is dead,cocoa beach is the beach, cocoa is where the crime is and merritt is. is where people kool people live, work and live!
Um I beg to differ and hope someday that people realize that you can't place a whole town in a peg hole. It varies in every town you mentioned. Merritt Island is not the only part of the county( not incorporated into a city btw so depend on county for police etc) where cool people live. There are plenty of cool people throughout the county.

Funny thing when my son played football, MI was the only school that they were told to keep their helmets on till they got out of the area because those" kool" kids would throw rocks at the bus every time the game was there. Saw it for myself when I volunteered and rode the bus. It is also the only place that my 10 year old was surrounded and threatened in the restroom by older kids at the game and was only saved by an adult who walked in. So because of that incident with a few less than stellar kds I should hate everything about MI right? Wrong!

Titusville isn't really dead, either. Love some of the places to go up there. Construction is picking up there, too. Love the newer fishing pier,tiki bar, and El leoncitos .

Palm Bay is a residential area that has a larger population so there are more variety of people. Most of the city is newer like Viera and lots of room for development. Actually getting some pretty cool businesses coming in. Bass Pro Shop is one of the ones we can't wait to open.

Cocoa Beach is fun. Can look a little run down and old in areas but not a lot different than other beach areas except it is more touristy because easier to get to from Orlando.

As for Cocoa it isn't fair to dis the whole city because there are some really nice areas, too.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 8,664 times
Default help!! my mom needs an affordable apartment in a safe area of melbourne!!

We are in desperate need of help finding my mom an apartment by august 1st 2013 under 500 $ and in a safe area for an older single woman. We are not at all familiar with the melbourne area. My husband and our children and I are moving there as well but we will be near 404 satellite beach. But she is on a low income budget and can not afford anything over 500 $. She just need an efficiency or a small one bedroom. My question is; she is going to go check out Meadowdale apartments off university blvd. Can anyone please plase tell us if this area is safe?? Are these apartments ok? Now I know you get what you pay for so I'm not expecting them to be fabulous but decent and safe. Any feedback would be Great or any suggestions on other safe areas with apartments under 500. We need all the help we can get. Thanks

Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmomof3grls View Post
We are in desperate need of help finding my mom an apartment by august 1st 2013 under 500 $ and in a safe area for an older single woman. We are not at all familiar with the melbourne area. My husband and our children and I are moving there as well but we will be near 404 satellite beach. But she is on a low income budget and can not afford anything over 500 $. She just need an efficiency or a small one bedroom. My question is; she is going to go check out Meadowdale apartments off university blvd. Can anyone please plase tell us if this area is safe?? Are these apartments ok? Now I know you get what you pay for so I'm not expecting them to be fabulous but decent and safe. Any feedback would be Great or any suggestions on other safe areas with apartments under 500. We need all the help we can get. Thanks
Maybe the Trinity Towers in Melbourne . It is right down town. Secure-always someone working the desk in both buildings. They charge what you can pay. One of my friends lives there and seems to really like it. She works the desk part time and really could live anywhere because she makes good money on her real job. Sometimes there is a wait list. If I am ever alone this is probably where I would want to live since you can walk to the stores and restaurants etc downtown.

There are other senior living apartmernts in the area too. There is Glenbrooke in Palm Bay on Turkey Creek Here's a start to check out.

Senior Housing Communities in Melbourne, FL - SeniorOutlook.com

Do not look into Pines, Woodlake, or Landings in Palm Bay. No to Meadowdale, too.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmomof3grls View Post
ApartmentRatings.com will give you reviews of the apartment developments in the area, with prices and crime stats as well as reviews from actual residents. It's a good resource -- I've been using it liberally in preparation for my own relocation. You can combine it with Rent.Com or a similar site to get floor plans and specifics on rent and what is available when.

Just on my first try, I'm seeing a 1-br 500sf at Palm Harbor Villas at $525, and the community is well-rated on Apartment Ratings, so you may want to see if they offer any special pricing for seniors.

Palm Harbor Villas Apartments | Melbourne, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Palm Harbor Villas (formerly Wickhamwood Apartments II) pricing report with rents reported by actual residents. Other Melbourne apartments also reviewed at ApartmentRatings.com

Also, a lot of these places price based on length of lease due to snowbirds who live here part-time, so with a longer lease, you may get a better price. Rent.Com also offers a $100 rebate in the form of a Visa reward card if you go through their site and find an apartment there, which could ameliorate 4 months' worth of that $25 difference between your quoted price and the one listed on their site.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County