U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 29,789 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I'm soon to be relocating and been doing some research on this two cities (Titusville and melbourne), I would like to know from someone who live or lived in brevard county.
I would like to know the difference between this two, schools in the area and all the other stuff you can think of, thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,656,919 times
Titusville is a bit closer to Orlando, but a much smaller city. Melbourne is probably the most significant city in Brevard county (and pretty close to the largest, although Palm Bay technically beats it out). There are supposedly better schools in Melbourne (especially beachside, Satellite, Indialatic etc and in Viera, which is a suburb of the Melbourne area). Melbourne also has a nice downtown area right before you cross the 192 bridge to the peninsula with lots of shopping/bars/restaurants. Not sure there is anything like that in Titusville.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

83 posts, read 158,802 times
I recently moved to Titusville. I wanted to live on the coast, small town atmosphere, freeway close without the bumper to bumper, light to light traffic.

So far no complaints. And we do have shops and restraurants, great food here.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM

25 posts, read 62,351 times
Titusville is kinda dead right now because of all the lay offs at the Kennedy Space Center, lot of shops have closed down.Melbourne your best bet.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,990 times
I agree, I live in Port St. John, near Titusville and Melbourne is so much better. I often find myself heading towards Melbourne when I want to do something. However the schools are not that bad, but I only have Northern Virginia to compare them to.

Ancient practice that can improve your life!Click here for a free report!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM

587 posts, read 1,003,255 times
It depend's what you're after, what you want to buy, your family commitments and your long-term plans.

I was amused by QS 25's comment that (s)he goes to Melbourne to find something to do.'

Other people have described Melbourne as 'Melboring'.

YMMV.

If the housing market in Titusville is depressed and you're moving in with money - then there might be one or two exceptional real-estate bargains to be had. Similarly, if the rental market is depressed, then there might be a few rental bargains to be had.

Melbourne - which never, perhaps, enjoyed the boom which affected Titusville hasn't suffered the slump, either. - There may be fewer people who are anxious to sell ... but then again, there may be a few who are now so desperate they'll take any offer. The best advice may be to take some time and come and look for yourself.

There can be little doubt that there are some exceptional bargains to be had in both places ... but you need to come and look for yourself.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM

111 posts, read 286,716 times
Hello!

Titusville is much smaller, and although isn't a bad place to live, it wouldn't be my first choice either.

On the plus: the community and streets are laid out much better than Melbourne. For such a small town, there are 2 ramps on/off the interstate I-95, helping make driving in the area easy. In town, there is almost no traffic and the roads more than adequately support traffic. The most beautiful part of the city, right next to Route 1 right on the Indian River, are laid out with parks, restaurants, marinas, condos, and shops. Also, Orlando only takes around 30 minutes to drive to, which I feel is the real benefit. You can easily take advantage of Orlando’s employment options, nightlife, restaurants, schools games (Go UCF Knights!), multitude of shopping malls, museums, etc. On several occasions I have yearned for something other than fast food at midnight and drove to Orlando to have my choice of dining options. Housing is cheaper in Titusville. The only time T-ville becomes more expensive than Melb. is when you commute into Orlando for work, due to gas costs. Otherwise, T-ville is super cheap. T-ville has almost everything you would need, other than non-grocery shopping, work, and a beach. As for public schools, I cannot say, sorry!

On the negative: it is my opinion that, after having lived here for more than a year, that T-ville has some extra crime that either goes unreported or unnoticed. I have heard of, or experienced more crime here than in Melbourne. The bus system is almost non-existent here aside from 1 route. Also, it isn’t easy to find work in Melbourne, but it’s ridiculous here in T-ville. Shops are moving out, restaurants are closing, and many people either commute out of town for work, or they stay here making minimum wage barely making it by. There are those who make a good living here working in-town, but they are not the majority. For any shopping that you would want to do other than a Target, Walmart, or Home Depot, you’ll have to drive to Orlando, Merritt Island, or Melbourne. I find that I spend more time in Melbourne than here in T-ville, especially since I work in Melb, and most of my friends and family live there. However, when I lived in Melbourne I never found a reason to go to T-ville other than to visit a friend. Since NASA shutting down, the great view that once made the city popular has diminished. There is no T-ville beach, you’ll have to drive south to Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach. I was told the other day that there might be a beach that you can access around here for a small fee though. Perhaps someone knows more about than I? In all, Titusville seems a bit out of the way, and since not all of the needs are met in town, driving to other cities becomes the norm, involving 30+ min drives on the regular.

Titusville is relaxed, is a pretty little town, and is oozing with potential. However, It’s more or less at that stage where it either needs to spend some real time, commitment, and money to clean things up and bring in industry (jobs), or it risks moving in the dangerous direction of Cocoa. I really do think Titusville should market itself more as being commutable to East Orlando. Other than its beauty and friendly people, it really is all its got going for it at the time. I‘d love to see a bus existing between the two…that would be amazing, and economically smart for potential commuters.

Melbourne is larger, denser (although not “desnse” by almost any standard), and has much more to do. Yes, I also as a child called it “Melboring” but it isn’t really that big of a deal unless you are big on city nightlife, which you will thus have to go to Orlando for. I am much more fond of Melbourne though as a city to live, in almost every way.

On the plus: Melbourne has everything anyone would need. Malls and shopping, movie theaters, bowling alleys, better job prospects than anywhere else in the county (depending on what you do for a living), a choice of schools, and has a better feel altogether. There is an eclectic mix of people, from babies to seniors, and all colors and races. The schools in Melbourne are generally good, with a couple of exceptions. Melbourne is an easy hop to the beach, and is reasonable priced in terms of housing. The tap water (City water) is good for drinking, and is the same in T-ville. Orlando…not so much. Housing costs are reasonable, as well as rent and utility costs. If one either lives along the river, or close to I-95, they can greatly reduce their time to almost everywhere in town, and driving becomes a breeze. Melbourne has a choice of hospitals and health care facilities. Melbourne is also safe in most parts, and is a place where children can still be children and are seen playing in residental streets on the weekends. When a child I never felt unsafe, nor did my mother. As a future parent, I’d feel perfectly safe raising my children in Melbourne. All in all, I’d choose Melbourne to live unless you have to commute to Orlando for work.

On the Negative: for its size, its time Melbourne had decent public transportation. It’s almost impossible here to take the unreliable bus to work. It runs every hour, and if it is running late, doesn’t always stop even when you are standing right at the stop. The drivers are stressed from too long of a route in an hour’s time, and the riders are left with subpar service. Also, Melbourne, right next to the beautiful part of town: the Indian River, is known more for hookers and a drive-thru liquor store than for anything else. You will see fisherman sometimes, but they are usually found on the actual bridges connecting Melb. and the beachside. It gets better more toward north Melbourne around the river though. Downtown Melbourne is ok, but its really nothing to get excited about, just a few bars, upscale shops, I believe a candy store and a cigar shop, and a couple of restaurants. Island Pasta Co. is a delicious restaurant though, and the only reason I venture into Downtown. In the last decade the population has really hiked, especially in Palm Bay where most moved to, and some of the roads are just too narrow to accommodate the traffic. Palm Bay and Melbourne are almost always used together since most people venture into each most days of the week, and a large portion of those living in Palm Bay work in Melbourne. There is a Bad part of town to stay away from, most notably around University Blvd, east of Babock Rd, south to Florida Ave. The most negative things I can think of are: a non-growing economy and very little job prospects, as well a lack of things for the individuals to do. Lastly, if you live real close to the beach/Route 1, it may be hard to find home insurance, due to many of the insurance companies unwillingness to insure older homes built within 2 miles of the beach. It’s one of the reasons more and more people are moving from east Melbourne and Palm Bay, to west Melbourne and West Palm Bay, which was the case for my parents.

If I were to chose however, money permitting, beachside is the best choice. Satellite Beach is my favorite, but Indiatlantic, Cocoa Beach, and Cape Canaveral are great too. They have great schools, a great atmosphere, some shopping, low traffic, are safer, and have a nice ocean breeze in the summer. One really never needs to leave the island other than work and some activities, which are all an easy drive over the bridge away.

Good luck and best wishes finding a city for you and your family in Florida!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,099,461 times
Great post, annagurl333. While I do plan on moving to Myrtle Beach next year (from horrid Michigan), we just returned from a week in Orlando and I once again found myself somewhat intoxicated by FL. While I'd never live in Orlando, if Myrtle Beach didn't work out, I'd really consider Melbourne. Again, thanks for such a great write-up.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 AM

137 posts, read 587,093 times
I have to thank you for your informative post too. I'd rep you if I could, but it tells me I have to spread it around What is the best island to live on if one of us has to commute to Orlando and the other to Melbourne, in your opinion. We were thinking North Merritt Island above the 528, but just below it seems to be a bit sketchy...

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 29,789 times
Thanks everyone for your response , specially to annagurl333 very in depth information, thank you for taking the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County