U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 109,615 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I need some input on the Space Coast area, more specifically Cocoa, Titusville, and Melbourne. I recently lived in Orlando/Winter Park but moved back up to Michigan for 2 years to help my mother sell her house. My family and I are moving back down to Florida (Yay!) in June. I’m married with 3 kids, 13, 7 and 8 month old baby plus my mother will be living with us. So we will have a family of 6 and need a 4 bedroom place to rent for a few years until we are ready to buy. I wanted to move back to the Orlando area as that is most likely where I will find work (I’m an accountant). But with our large family size the cost of a rental place is above my budget. My father lives in Melbourne and he suggested that I try the coast away from Orlando as housing will be more affordable. I liked the idea of Titusville/Cocoa as they are close to 528 and that’s a straight shot to Orlando in case I need to commute. But I’m concerned that Cocoa has high crime statistics but from what I have read Cocoa has better schools than Titusville? Also my 13 year daughter has significant learning disabilities so I really want to find a school that has the services she will need. Also I’ve heard there’s a lot of unemployment and closed down businesses in Titusville due to the layoffs at Kennedy space station. What are your thoughts on these areas? As a side note, my husband is an artist, he’s going to school at Full Sail but all of his past working experience has been in manufacturing and production. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM

83 posts, read 153,325 times
Can't tell you about schools but I like Titusville, very good value in housing and very safe neighborhoods. I like Melborne but the traffic reminds me of S.Florida, to much and to busy.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,048,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbloc View Post
Can't tell you about schools but I like Titusville, very good value in housing and very safe neighborhoods. I like Melborne but the traffic reminds me of S.Florida, to much and to busy.
Are you seriously comparing Melbourne to south FL?? Sure it's busier for Brevard but nowhere near like that lol

Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 PM

10 posts, read 15,638 times
I grew up in Titusville and joined the military to get away from it. This is not a knock on it, just food for your burgeoning consideration. In other words, Tville has decent schools, but secondary education opportunities are found wanting. You've children so moving there should put them at either Astronaut High ot Tville High - neither of which are academic juggernauts. Neighborhoods are relatively safe, keeping away from Deleon and South Street. Your greatest concern is Drugs, a rampant problem among the youth in Tville with few resources to fight it. Unless you've a job already lined up, service jobs are likely your only infrastructure industry in Tville. I can't imagine many professional jobs surviving the space program's dismantling and the defense sector (Grumman),etc. no longer enjoys a robust budget.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,604 times
We lived in T'ville 6 yrs ago and moved away due to schools. Our son has very mild Aspergers. He came to T'ville with an IEP, they basically "laughed" and within 3 mons somehow "found" reasons to dismiss just about all the help he "SHOULD" get. We fought a bit but w/ a dying father living with us I had more important things on my mind as I knew it was a loosing battle ( from other parents of special needs kids telling me you never win) etc etc. We decided I didn't want my son where he really wasn't wanted ( yes that's how they made us and HIM feel)) so we decided it was best to homeschool. Not sure about "NOW" but back 6 yrs ago when we checked the states 65% of all "special needs" kids were homeschool, that says a lot. I don't know if it's changed or not. THey led us to believe when talking w/ the school they were going to be great, yea ok until he started. Good luck and try contacting parents of kids who has special education needs or have an IEP and talk to them, they'll tell you the truth, Not the school/district. Just my opinion.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 109,615 times
Thanks for all of your input. I talked to my father as well and he advised against Titusville. He mentioned Palm Bay was nice. Any thoughts on that?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,048,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar814 View Post
Thanks for all of your input. I talked to my father as well and he advised against Titusville. He mentioned Palm Bay was nice. Any thoughts on that?
It's ok I guess. I'd rather do West Melbourne, Viera or the beachside if you can afford it

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,218 times
My husband and I are seriously looking to buy a winter home in Fla. We are familiar with Melbourne and Cocoa Beach having spent several winters there. Would love to be near the beach but it might be too costly there. We keep getting info on homes in Palm Bay from Realtor but looked at a couple and were disappointed with the neighborhoods. We are also hoping to find a place near shopping. We would consider condos, mfg. homes or single family homes. Can someone give me an idea what areas are desireable to live in and are safe places to leave a home during the times we are not there. We would consider Melbourne, Cocoa Rockledge, Viera, Palm Bay or any other suggestions.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,909,714 times
I think if you are going to be gone for months at a time, I'd suggest a condo rather than a single family home. More secure and less likely to have an issue go unnoticed in your absence. With a condo you drop the shutters, lock the door, give your neighbors your phone number back home and don't worry. Not sure what your budget is but there are some nice condos and townhomes in good complexes /neighborhoods beachside for less than $150,000.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 AM

3,720 posts, read 6,689,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I think if you are going to be gone for months at a time, I'd suggest a condo rather than a single family home. More secure and less likely to have an issue go unnoticed in your absence. With a condo you drop the shutters, lock the door, give your neighbors your phone number back home and don't worry. Not sure what your budget is but there are some nice condos and townhomes in good complexes /neighborhoods beachside for less than $150,000.
True but fire departments hate the shutters down 24/7. Should only be used for storms. In event the building has a fire the units with shutters down make it impossible to fight the fire-so more likely to have more damage.

Leaving a single family home for months at a time will require hiring a lawn company to cut the grass and trim while you are away. though so OP needs to consider that cost, too.

I think if I were snow bird, I would just rent a place instead of paying the up keep and taxes on a 2nd home, but that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County