U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM

25 posts, read 58,162 times

Advertisements

I'm so discouraged . . .I spoke with a realtor today who specializes in the space coast area and I was asking the difference in NW, SW, etc that you see on all (or most all) addresses in the Palm Bay area. Basically what she said was that I wouldn't find Palm Bay very desirable . . . Tried to persuade me into Viera, etc . . .well, that's all well good and fine if I was looking for a 365/day per year home. I'm looking for a 2nd home for now with a relocation date of 3 - 5 years from now.

Our price range is under the 200k mark only because I already have another mortgage to pay here.

We were originally looking in the Clermont/Minneola area years ago, but I'm not sure that's for us.

Is Palm Bay really only a pretty name?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,516,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDeb67 View Post
I'm so discouraged . . .I spoke with a realtor today who specializes in the space coast area and I was asking the difference in NW, SW, etc that you see on all (or most all) addresses in the Palm Bay area. Basically what she said was that I wouldn't find Palm Bay very desirable . . . Tried to persuade me into Viera, etc . . .well, that's all well good and fine if I was looking for a 365/day per year home. I'm looking for a 2nd home for now with a relocation date of 3 - 5 years from now.

Our price range is under the 200k mark only because I already have another mortgage to pay here.

We were originally looking in the Clermont/Minneola area years ago, but I'm not sure that's for us.

Is Palm Bay really only a pretty name?
One of the things that truly annoys me about Florida is this whole planned/gated community thing. They make these places look like country clubs and people are so taken aback by the landscaping and uniformity that they buy into it willingly. That is until the Hoa board starts picking on them. It seems that a normal town with a mix of people and property conditions is somehow undesirable. Palm Bay is a normal town with a nice name. Just wondering, If it's going to be a second home, why not look at a condo on the barrier Island?

Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Hub wants a home where he can do landscaping etc ... he's the lucky one who is retired so I should say it'll be MY 2nd home while he can come and goes as he pleases . . . Like maybe he'll stay there for a month or so and then travel back to CT, etc . . .condo life isn't for us at all . . .

So Palm Bay isn't bad? It's not like I'm looking for a booming bustling city ... I'd like a nice home at a decent price in a decent area with some palm trees .. .

Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM

5,967 posts, read 9,738,455 times
Smile Palm Bay

Tons of neighborhoods in Palm Bay - have several clients there who are happy and fine. This area has been hard hit and there are short sales/foreclosures but it's not a bad area.

Any specific neighborhoods?

Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM

I don't know any areas really, only street names . . .Hummingbird Lane SW? When you look at a map it's like out there in the middle of nowhere, but I did like the style of the home. My co-worker purchased a home on Jupiter Drive NW? But it's kind of an older home, I would prefer a home built in the mid 2000's, but I also would like an area where there is city water, I know I don't want well . . I believe it's all septic? I know we wouldn't want to get involved with short sales, foreclosures would be ok. I'm not looking for a mcmansion or anything, but I would like a 3/2, 2 car garage, not too close to neighbors (no postage stamp homes) no HOA, would prefer a fenced in yard with a screened lanai with room for a pool in the future . . .

Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM

10,118 posts, read 13,023,275 times
Palm Bay has some palms in various yards, but, no bay -- The neighborhoods are pretty densely packed, there are too few roads with good access ... and, with the exception of a few (of many) neighborhoods, Palm Bay is not what one would generally refer to as 'pretty.' There is a lot more low-end housing in Palm Bay than Viera and many people live there (PB) for financial reasons.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,666,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Palm Bay has some palms in various yards, but, no bay -- The neighborhoods are pretty densely packed, there are too few roads with good access ... and, with the exception of a few (of many) neighborhoods, Palm Bay is not what one would generally refer to as 'pretty.' There is a lot more low-end housing in Palm Bay than Viera and many people live there (PB) for financial reasons.
The stuff off us1 looks like a bay to me

Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:

that's basically what the realtor said in not so many words . . .

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,516,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDeb67 View Post
Hub wants a home where he can do landscaping etc ... he's the lucky one who is retired so I should say it'll be MY 2nd home while he can come and goes as he pleases . . . Like maybe he'll stay there for a month or so and then travel back to CT, etc . . .condo life isn't for us at all . . .

So Palm Bay isn't bad? It's not like I'm looking for a booming bustling city ... I'd like a nice home at a decent price in a decent area with some palm trees .. .
If he wants to do some landscaping I don't think he'll like Viera. Hoa's can be very restrictive. I can tell you from experience that if he likes plants look for at least a half acre of land. I'm so enthralled by tropical plants and "never ending" growing seasons that I've run out of room after only 2 years.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,077,039 times
Quote:
There is a beautiful bay right off US1 on the river. Palms grow naturally in this area....not all are planted by residents but some are . We have 8 Palms in our yard and a beautiful Raintree too. About the smallest lot you can have to build on is 1/4 acre so not as many townhouse type homes where you can shake hands with your neighbor by just opening the window. Code enforcement is out there and if someone calls them they do come out and handle neighborhood eyesores. . All homes built after a certain year have to have 2 car garages, and in some areas not even in HOAS you have to paint your houses certain colors, Our new businesses for quite a while had to have a front porch and tropical look. I am not sure if that has changed with the economy or not. Check out the Walmart on Malabar. It is a 1 of a kind..... Walmart even had to have a stop light at its entrance/exit which Walmart always tries to afford paying for.

They are working to beautify US1 area in the old part of town by planting palms in the median and planning a new walkable area of shops and stuff by the river. As for low end housing....there is some, but not really wanting to compare PB to Viera here .

Some of the same builders built subdivisions in both areas, but selling mainly to Northerners the price is much higher in Viera. Even Horton has some houses they built in Palm Bay, don't they? Have you started building off Cougan again? I noticed some building going on again in the area that only had a couple houses up when the crunch hit.

To the OP I actually am a resident here. Raised my family here. Would not consider moving anywhere else except maybe to a condo right on the beach.

Your original question was about Palm Bays 4 sectors. Because the area of the city is so large-larger in land size and road miles than Miami- something like 90 square miles of roads they decided to divide the city into 4 sections. The division lies at Minton Rd and Malabar.

The original town and first new areas of the city is the NE sector. You will find some older-mostly built in the early 60s homes and then the Lockmar area built in the 80s and early 90s type homes. Some areas are still beautiful but some homes have not been kept up just like in almost every city in the world. NE sector has most homes on city water and sewer which is a plus in my book. Best area to look....Lockmar, then Port Malabar school area.

Then the developers started building in the NW sector in the 90s mostly. Most of these homes have city water but may have septic. A lot of people prefer this area of town. Seems more closed in than the SE and SW to me.

After that the South West area started building up. In the 90s when I worked at the school out there it sort of had a red neck rep out in that area sort of like the one West Melbourne had at the time. Both images have changed some since then of course, but there are a lot of old roads where no houses have been built in the SW and some streets may just have a couple houses on them the farther south you go. It can be a half hour drive to get anywhere from this section. Most homes on well and septic, but city is putting in water in some areas. Costs about $11000 to put it in if available.

The south East area has the newer developments of the 2000's mostly. Like the SW sector, the further South you go the fewer homes and sometimes the roads are still the ones General development built in the 60s. As more homes go up the roads are repaired and repaved. Also most homes are well and septic, but city water available in some areas. We got city water in 2010 but the city not putting in sewer so still on septic and hate it. In the Bayside area the developers may have put in the city water and sewer in some areas. Don't really know. I know our old subdivision in Port Malabar school area put in city water and connected to sewer system when they built it back in the early 80s.

Personally, I think we have some of the best access roads in the county. Our main streets are either 4 or 6 laned to help with the traffic. Things just seem a little wider, cleaner, and I feel more comfortable down here compared to say Babcock street Wickham Road, Aurora, Sarno Rds, University and US 1 in Melbournei . All of our schools have been built since the 1990s except for PB and Port Malabar elems. The schools are as good as any other school in Brevard because they are all in the same district ran by the same people. We have some good charter schools here, too. Unfortunately some of our kids from some area still are bused into Melbourne , though. When my kids were, they got fantastic educations and have done well as adults.

I was used to the big city of Chicago when I moved here in 1976 and have seen the city grow from 18,000 to over 100,000 people. . It is still more of a suburb (sleepy community) where you live, do some things locally , but go to many other towns on a daily basis since the boundaries between towns are down the center of some of the streets etc.

I have always just considered my home as the Space Coast and utilize everything that each community in the county has to offer. So my advice is to tell the Realtor you want to see homes in Palm Bay and if she gives you attitude change realtors. We used a friend when we bought this house in 2010. She works out of Melbourne and advised us against Palm Bay too; but we insisted we wanted to stay in town so she started showing us homes here. She had no idea about the city and was going by what others told her about it. She was surprised at how nice some of the homes were and now shows and sells down here on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County