Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 30,497 times

Advertisements

My husband has looked at a position in the Melbourne area (along with one in the Orlando are). We are very intrigued by the area and the family oriented, laid back smaller town feel that is has vs Orlando. But we would like input on the differences in the towns in the area. Viera, Melbourne, Palm Bay, and Merritt Island seem to come up the most in our research as good schools and good family neighborhoods. We have a 2 yr old and 9 yr old, so schools are very important as well as a good family environment for us to get settled in. Our price range for buying would be up to $400,000. My husband would be working in Melbourne. We are not too worried about a commute as his now is an hour. We should be coming down in the next month to house hunt and then make a decision on which job and location is best for our family.
Any input is great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1229 View Post
My husband has looked at a position in the Melbourne area (along with one in the Orlando are). We are very intrigued by the area and the family oriented, laid back smaller town feel that is has vs Orlando. But we would like input on the differences in the towns in the area. Viera, Melbourne, Palm Bay, and Merritt Island seem to come up the most in our research as good schools and good family neighborhoods. We have a 2 yr old and 9 yr old, so schools are very important as well as a good family environment for us to get settled in. Our price range for buying would be up to $400,000. My husband would be working in Melbourne. We are not too worried about a commute as his now is an hour. We should be coming down in the next month to house hunt and then make a decision on which job and location is best for our family.
Any input is great!!
Seems like there are several similar threads like this -- folks must be flooding to the Melbourne area. My vote, based on your criteria, is Satellite Beach or Viera ---
I did the 1+hour commute thing between central Fla and Melbourne for about 6-months when I first went to work at Harris in Palm Bay 29+-years ago .. (before buying a home in Satellite Beach). What a pain! If one must spend 2+ hours daily commuting to/from work, it 'can' be done, but, WHY would anyone choose that, over a shorter commute?

"We" may not be worried about a long commute, but, HE is the one making it ... and I can assure you, Nobody wants to make a long, twice-daily commute! (Some folks commute from Orlando to the Cape; or Satellite to Palm Bay is about a 30-minute commute; Orlando to Melbourne is about 1.5 hours) -- If your husband can spend another 1-2-hours daily at home with you and the kids ... enjoying the Florida weather and benefits -- why would you choose NOT to do that, in favor of spending the time commuting?

Last edited by jghorton; 03-15-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 30,497 times
I guess I should have clarified that better about the commute..it seems people make comments about 20 minute or 30 minute commutes being horrible when I have talked to them and areas to live. That isn't a big deal to my husband. To us a 20-30 minute commute is acceptable if the community is what is right for the kids. we live in a very kid/family friendly area now, met people right away, our daughter has several friends within walking distance..these things are as top a priority as the commute. This move is ALL about family time for us, that is why we are making this move.

Thanks for your input on the area.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 14,229 times
If anyone has any suggestions for good and safe areas to look for retirement winter home in the space coast area please let me know. Would consider condos, mfg. homes single family or multi family. Because its a 2nd home trying to stay under $125,ooo. Is that realistic?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,949 times
We will be traveling down to Merritt Island next month to look at various neighborhoods and properties. I had initially found a few houses to look at, but we're not ready to move permanently yet, probably not for 3 years. My thought was that we didn't want a stand alone house being unoccupied for most of the time, for many reasons.

Now we've turned out sights on condos in the $40k to $65k price range. Preferably in a decent area. Some decent looking units on Palmetto, Tropical Trail. We'll later on in the week work our way up to Cocoa Beach, but for now, Merritt Island is the first mission. We have no kids, love to golf, and will be working at the Cape.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 23,213 times
Avoid Palm Bay. It's not a great area and the schools are so-so (Palm Bay High is good, but located in Melbourne and in a very bad area). Melbourne is a boring place, but good for kids. Melbourne High is very good. West Shore, a charter school is also very good. Viera is a bit more pricey and has less to do. Viera High isn't as good as Mel High or Palm bay High and is known for having a lot of drug use. There's also Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, and Satellite Beach, which are all nice, slow beach towns in the same area.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 23,098 times
Default confusing

see this is confusing what good and whats bad need real info .. were are mostly concered with jobs im in customer service in thebanking financial industry and my husband is a laborer. and looking for a decent large 2 bed 1 bath aprt not condo ( or a house lease) 750-900.. and when does school start over there. in aug or sept.. and please dont refer me to the chamber of commerce I request info and they never got back to me or sent me any info.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
holla friends

Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca1375 View Post
see this is confusing what good and whats bad need real info .. were are mostly concered with jobs im in customer service in thebanking financial industry and my husband is a laborer. and looking for a decent large 2 bed 1 bath aprt not condo ( or a house lease) 750-900.. and when does school start over there. in aug or sept.. and please dont refer me to the chamber of commerce I request info and they never got back to me or sent me any info.

What's good/what's bad is just a matter of opinion. You will always get both on message boards, but negatives tend to hate a lot. <VBG> The whole Brevard County is not a bad place to live. Some say it is a boring place to live but mostly because there is not a lot of clubbing like up in the NE or big cities. Been here since I was in my 20s and never found it boring. You do need a car and it works best here if you live in the whole county and don't stay cooped up in one little area. My house is in Palm Bay but I live, work, and play on the Space Coast with mini trips to other areas of Florida.

Job situation has improved some. Unemployment is about 7.4 now, but it is a deceiving number. Many even with college degrees work in part time jobs with no or little benefits. Many work 2 or 3 part time jobs to support their families. Many just quit looking. I would recommend finding at least 1 job before moving. What kind of labor does your husband do? For either type work expect pay to be less than $9 or $10 an hour to start. Even the major tech places often start workers out at minimum wage or just above it.

Should be able to find an apartment for the rent you list.

School starts on August 14 this year.

Check out https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx . It may help. I put in customer service and it came up with a couple jobs. It shows a supply and demand option so I checked it. 176 potential applicants to 16 teller jobs.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 23,098 times
Default thank you

my husband is in manufactoring industry, and I have looked for jobs at space coast credit union or mds. they have posted positions. in vero beach. there seems to be jobs which i believe is abt 30 minutes away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County