U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

34 posts, read 55,574 times

Advertisements

We're a family of 3 considering relocating to the area sometime next year. We're very interested in all of the beachside communities. While visiting last month, we drove through this sketchy area of Satellite Beach and I was hoping someone could educate me. It was east of Tortoise Island and directly north of the High School. On google maps it looks like an area that either had houses or has been cleared to build houses. We drove through the area and it seemed a little sketchy and the homes that were in the area also seemed a little out of place in an otherwise charming town. I was hoping someone could tell me what's up with this area. What was it? What is it? What is it planned to become?

We're looking at some of the canal homes on or around Tortoise Island so we would have to walk through this area to get to the beach so I'm concerned about how safe it is. Thanks for any info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 11,074 times
The area you referred to used to to be the base housing for Patrick Air Force Base (PAFB). Under a deal with some land developers part of the land (the southwest portion) was rebuilt as military housing. The northwest portion is private housing. The northeast portion still has some of the old housing that is rented out to civilians and the southeast portion is mostly empty now except for some baseball diamonds. The city is talking with the Air Force to come up with a use for that large open area. But it's all very safe to walk through. In the middle of the entire area is a recreation center used for base youth center and a church. - Trevor

Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM

34 posts, read 55,574 times
Thanks for the info! That makes sense. I'm assuming the Air Force still owns the land? Are there any suggestions on the table that you know of for the area?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 PM

10,141 posts, read 13,174,940 times
All of Satellite Beach is part of the barrier island and IMO (lived there 28 years), very safe and somewhat laid-back. You can drive through the base housing area (if you don't want to walk), but, it's probably one of the safest areas around. Tortoise Island is a relatively exclusive gated community and the area north of that is North Waterway, which is primarily comprised of older, canal-front homes. Overall, Satellite Beach is a great family area!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 28,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlowing View Post
The area you referred to used to to be the base housing for Patrick Air Force Base (PAFB). Under a deal with some land developers part of the land (the southwest portion) was rebuilt as military housing. The northwest portion is private housing. The northeast portion still has some of the old housing that is rented out to civilians and the southeast portion is mostly empty now except for some baseball diamonds. The city is talking with the Air Force to come up with a use for that large open area. But it's all very safe to walk through. In the middle of the entire area is a recreation center used for base youth center and a church. - Trevor
Thanks. i was looking for this info! Any new info?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,123 times
But why do they show all S Patrick Shores property as major league depreciating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County