Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 PM

44 posts, read 180,050 times

Advertisements

I'm really confused about the fireworks around here. I think I had read somewhere that fireworks are illegal here, but then driving down 192 in Melbourne there are a few fireworks stores, not roadside stands, but full-fledged stores. So I got to thinking if there are stores and the state has to issue a business license for these stores to open, then surely the things they're selling can't be illegal. So we stopped in to look around but had to sign a waiver before purchasing anything. I wasn't really expecting to buy anything since i was under the impression that fireworks are illegal and I don't really care for whirling smoke bombs. But no, there were mortars, roman candles, and other fun things. So we decided to purchase a few boxes of mortars. I was reassured this was a legal activity with the presence of a Brevard county sheriff standing at the exit. Surely he wouldn't be standing around allowing people to purchase illegal merchandise right? So off we go with our little purchases......only to find out later that it is indeed illegal to set them off. Great!! So after close to $100 in fireworks we can't light off, we're left scratching our heads as to why the state of Florida allows such a crazy operation? Since we have two sheriff officers living on our street, we didn't want to chance setting them off and getting a fine. So we told the kids we couldn't shoot them off. They were bummed, but took it well. Then to our surprise at about 8:45ish we start hearing all the neighbors shooting off fireworks...big ones!!! It seems even the sheriff got in on the fun and was setting quite a few mortars off. In the end, we set off our fireworks, but we're curious about this funny law. If it's not enforced and even condoned by the police, why is it even on the books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
It's weird. My understanding was that pretty much sparklers were it in terms of legality, but you have seen what really happens

Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 PM

263 posts, read 889,520 times
They are illegal, but the waiver you signed might have indicated that you promised to only use them to scare birds out of trees . Until recently we lived on a street with several cops as neighbors, who just stood and watched as our other neighbors lit bottle rockets hour after hour, night after night. Had no money to put gas in the mower for their disgusting yard, but had lots of cash for fireworks But in all seriousness, seems to be a law that just isn't enforced, you should be fine as long as someone isn't injured or caught on fire.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
They are illegal, but the waiver you signed might have indicated that you promised to only use them to scare birds out of trees . Until recently we lived on a street with several cops as neighbors, who just stood and watched as our other neighbors lit bottle rockets hour after hour, night after night. Had no money to put gas in the mower for their disgusting yard, but had lots of cash for fireworks But in all seriousness, seems to be a law that just isn't enforced, you should be fine as long as someone isn't injured or caught on fire.
Sometimes memories with the kids outweigh the money spent. Someday the kids may smile and say, we were poor but dad loved fireworks and always bought some to light every 4th of July and remember how special that time was to them. Unless we live in our neighbors shoes we really do not know why they do some things. My brother probably had neighbors saying the same about him, but they may not have known why.....he actually had a good job and my sil had 3 part time jobs; but the medicine for my nephew still cost more than the money they made in a month-even when they got him on medicaid. He was on dialysis at the age of 10, it was a 3 hour drive each way to get it, he had 3 transplants before he was 16 and a kidney was not rejected. Each time they had to have $50,000 cash before the hospital would even consider doing the surgery. Memories together are what they had as they struggled through the medical issues. Within 5 years of my nephew getting that first kidney that worked my brother was killed in a truck-car accident on his way home from work. His kids were 10,16, and 21. Those memories put smiles on my nephews faces to this day.
Unfortunately his youngest son who is 26 now was diagnosed with esophagus cancer this year, but he and his mom still bought fireworks in his dad's memory-even though finances are even worse now than when my brother was alive. JMHO but sometimes we need to be more understanding of others because we never know the reason why someone does something.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It's not just Brevard, but, all over Florida! -- Yes, I realize that everyone turns a blind-eye to fireworks on the 4th of July or perhaps New Years Eve ... and I'm also aware of the mock form that allows farmers to buy fireworks to frighten birds.

But, how in the world to all of those LARGE fireworks stores/buildings along the highways stay in business year-round?? Perhaps they depend on out-of-state tourists who have no ridiculous 'scare the birds loophole' ... and therefore, buy their fireworks in Florida, in advance of various holidays or celebrations?? (Go figure)

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's not just Brevard, but, all over Florida! -- Yes, I realize that everyone turns a blind-eye to fireworks on the 4th of July or perhaps New Years Eve ... and I'm also aware of the mock form that allows farmers to buy fireworks to frighten birds.

But, how in the world to all of those LARGE fireworks stores/buildings along the highways stay in business year-round?? Perhaps they depend on out-of-state tourists who have no ridiculous 'scare the birds loophole' ... and therefore, buy their fireworks in Florida, in advance of various holidays or celebrations?? (Go figure)
seems good for the local FL economy in that case

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Sometimes memories with the kids outweigh the money spent. Someday the kids may smile and say, we were poor but dad loved fireworks and always bought some to light every 4th of July and remember how special that time was to them. Unless we live in our neighbors shoes we really do not know why they do some things. My brother probably had neighbors saying the same about him, but they may not have known why.....he actually had a good job and my sil had 3 part time jobs; but the medicine for my nephew still cost more than the money they made in a month-even when they got him on medicaid. He was on dialysis at the age of 10, it was a 3 hour drive each way to get it, he had 3 transplants before he was 16 and a kidney was not rejected. Each time they had to have $50,000 cash before the hospital would even consider doing the surgery. Memories together are what they had as they struggled through the medical issues. Within 5 years of my nephew getting that first kidney that worked my brother was killed in a truck-car accident on his way home from work. His kids were 10,16, and 21. Those memories put smiles on my nephews faces to this day.
Unfortunately his youngest son who is 26 now was diagnosed with esophagus cancer this year, but he and his mom still bought fireworks in his dad's memory-even though finances are even worse now than when my brother was alive. JMHO but sometimes we need to be more understanding of others because we never know the reason why someone does something.

Sorry but we lived there for two years. Mowing never happened. Loud, drunken parties in the front yard, fireworks, roaring mud truck engines that were otherwise scattered all over the driveway, and other things that make crappy neighbors happened all year round. New years, Christmas, the 4th, random Tuesdays in October, on and on.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 AM

153 posts, read 357,801 times
Quote:
Sorry but we lived there for two years. Mowing never happened. Loud, drunken parties in the front yard, fireworks, roaring mud truck engines that were otherwise scattered all over the driveway, and other things that make crappy neighbors happened all year round. New years, Christmas, the 4th, random Tuesdays in October, on and on.
I agree. Theres a difference in people who do not have a lot of money but have self respect and those who are just being lazy slobs. Being poor is not an excuse to live like a pig, no matter what your circumstance is. My grandparents grew up not having a lot but you could never tell it as their house and surroundings were always kept up and something that they were proud of.

I know a good amount of people who do not make a ton of money and have big families (2+ kids) and you could eat off their floors and claim their yards as the cleanest in the neighborhood. A pig is a pig no matter where they live or the size of their bank account. If you're living like a slob and putting your money into fireworks and parties when your family could use that money to better themselves, then your priorities are definitely out of order.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Wow, chose a bad neighborhood or they move in after you?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Craziest thing I've ever seen really. It was like they paid people to be decent until the place was rented. I swore it was like Funny Farm, only it was PSJ instead of Redbud. We drove by several times during different times of the week before we signed the lease, all quiet, no sex offenders near by, no other issues that we could spot. The people across the street must have been on vacation. Their grass was dead, their house looked like crap compared to the others, but there was no junk or mud trucks or rowdiness. The realtor who was acting as property manager commented that our rental was owned by a deputy, and there were several others in the neighborhood. It was a cute house with everything we needed, not in the public record as a foreclosure, we thought we were going to be pretty happy there until we decided to buy. So so so wrong. The first time we took our daughter out to ride her bike, we met the lovely neighbors, who openly taunted us for being snobs without even saying hello first. All down hill from there. Like I said earlier, having cops around made zero difference, they added to the noise as much as anybody. And the LL had stopped paying the mortgage a year earlier, it just hadn't shown up because it took the bank another two years to file lis pendens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County