U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,179,195 times

Advertisements

How big a complex is this? If your landlady understands your situation, what if you were to move to another apartment in the same building? Then of course not let him into that one.

I would ask on the free advice law forum. Here is case in Florida regarding a guy that owns a condo and Roommate/Ex Girlfriend - No Lease, No Verbal Agreement, No Rent Paid.

Roommate/Ex Girlfriend - No Lease, No Verbal Agreement, No Rent Paid
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM

4,944 posts, read 6,144,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
How big a complex is this?

I think this is the key.
I'm pretty sure if your complex is small (4-5 units or less), the law is very different.

PLUS dumb dumb might not be aware of what his rights are.

OP - what about lying and telling him you're breaking the lease/moving out on Day X, and at that point you want the (2) of you to go separate ways?
(Obviously, resorting to lying stinks.. but this situation requires extreme action.)
That would force his hand to figure something out.
Don't let him cry you a river that he has no where to go.
He can figure it out on his own, but won't if you keep taking care of things for him.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 PM

26 posts, read 79,970 times
Well, its not a complex or apartment. Because of my three dogs and medically necessary hot tub, i am renting a 3 bed 2 bath house with a fenced yard. Yeah, its a bit too big and too expensive for just one person. But even if i didnt have dogs, i need a yard to work in (mental therapy and meditation) and its very hard to find any landlord that will allow 3 dogs, one is a pit.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
Boy, can I relate to this thread! This woman is just like me, or like I was. I finally broke out of the spell I was in, just yesterday, and I'm no longer an enabling codependent woman. Unfortunately it's a bit late because my stupidity and naivete has got me into a bad situation as well. I let loser drug addict "I'm clean now" boyfriend move into my rental home. He barely works, contributes maybe 25% of the bills, have found paraphernalia in the house "I'm weaning myself off slowly and almost completed the cycle," he failed a drug test two weeks ago "It's a false positive," and he intercepted the second do-over test in the mail and threw it away (I found it in the garbage last night). So I went out and bought one at Walgreens but he refused to take it. I tried to give him the boot last night after I found the test in the trashbin and he refused to take the Walgreens bought one. He refused to leave, so I called the police. Because of our "oral agreement" for him to live there (he is NOT on the lease, has no mail in his name nor does he has a DL or voter's registration with my address) but basically just because I ALLOWED him to move in, I now have to go through the EVICTION process to get him out. Police won't do a thing. Here goes $185+ to file at the courthouse. Sigh....

Last edited by Lafemme Nixita; 09-25-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 9,284 times
Change the locks, leave his stuff on the porch (pack it nicely). If he isn't on the lease he has no need right to be there.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,794,066 times
A story made national news recently about the nanny from hell, your story reminded me about that story. How long does the lease last? Can you buy out the lease? If you buy out the lease, can he still squat for months in the house living alone?

Maybe you can't just take out his belongings if it is illegal to do so, but you can make things worse for him. First of all, remove all food and drinks, especially alcohol from the house. Maybe that involve installing a lock on the refrigerator or moving the refrigerator to a storage rental location. Remove all cigarettes. Cut off any funding to him completely, down to zero, not a penny. Eat out at fast food places, storing no food in the house if you can't lock the refrigerator. If he buys food, throw that food away in the dumpster. If you can't lock or move the refrigerator, keep unplugging it, so his food he buys won't last, or at least he'll have to keep plugging in the refrigerator over and over.

Have the power turned off to your central AC, and install a small AC unit in your bedroom. If you own fans, move them all to your continuously locked bedroom. If he opens the windows, keep shutting the windows. Remove all electronics so there's nothing for him to play with. Remove all reading material so there's nothing to read. Remove the light bulbs in the other bathrooms and bedrooms. Do whatever you can to make life miserable for him. However, you might not be able to stay there if he gets violent to making those changes. You might have to arm yourself and shoot him if he becomes violent, which could get you in a lot of legal trouble. If you can't stay there, turn off the electricity and water. Also remove all the light bubs in case he gets the power turned back on, he'd have to spend his limited money on new light bulbs. Remove all the plates, silverware, glassware. When he opens the cabinets, they should be empty. Even the refrigerator shouldn't even have a light bulb. Remove all flashlights too. Remove all batteries. At night, it will be dark, it will be hot inside the house and miserable. Try to do things that would force him to spend money that he doesn't have. Do you have any friends or family you could stay with for awhile? If there is no electricity, natural gas (if you have it) and water, he probably won't stay very long. If you shut off the water, you can bring in your own water, which will be a hassle for you, but it will deny him water. Or, you could shut off the water for all fixtures, except for one locked bathroom you use. Use a secure lock not one you can open with a butter knife.

If he is using illegal drugs in your home, call the cops on him and have him arrested. Don't bail him out or provide any money when if he gets in trouble with cops or the court system. Do searches for criminal activity. Maybe you'll discover that there is a warrant out for his arrest, and you could turn him into the police. Maybe there are debt collectors trying to find him. You can tell the debt collectors where is is living.

It's been 2 1/2 months since you started the post. Has anything changed in that time? You're 2 1/2 months closer to the end of your lease, but what else changed?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM

1,519 posts, read 3,828,154 times
Default Co-dependent Drama Queen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
... It's been 2 1/2 months since you started the post. Has anything changed in that time? You're 2 1/2 months closer to the end of your lease, but what else changed?
Actually, it's been 14½ months since she started this post... and she hasn't been heard from since. Her drama rush must be over! It's kind of like a soap opera that's cancelled halfway through.
• Did she get him out?
• Did the police get involved?
• Did she find a new apartment?
• Did the ex-husband wind up having an affair with the landlady?
Stay tuned next season — if there is a next season!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 499 times
Okay ... the above was posted in 2013 - did you get rid of him and how?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:36 PM

18,173 posts, read 12,544,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavismom62 View Post
That is actually a very good way of putting it!
Why I came here? Good question. I guess because i dont have anyone to talk to about it, to vent and to get some good ideas, which I have, of how to deal with this situation. It involves just more than kick him out, which im learning. There are legalities as well as different ways of handling this situation including both his and my reactions and options. I know no one can do this for me (but oh I wish they could!), so i guess im looking for strength, support and understanding.
Talk to your landlord and see if you can get them to evict YOU, you agree to it and both parties cancel the lease and then re-rent once evicted and he is gone. They may be willing to do so.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:44 PM

83 posts, read 154,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paralegsnFL View Post
Okay ... the above was posted in 2013 - did you get rid of him and how?
She's possibly fallen in love again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County