U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 PM

317 posts, read 1,166,238 times

Advertisements

During my recent to "find a good area to live"...which I visited for a signicant portions of time...the towns between St. Beach, Indian Harbor, Indiatlantic, and Melbourne Beach. They are lovely towns, but just as expensive, if not more, than the prices here in NJ. I slected them because of their promixity to Cape Canaveral, I am in the technolgy area, and it appeared that was becoming a hot tech company area in the state, and hoped my chances for a job would be better. Although the majority of jobs for me are in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale - Boca Raton -- I was not impressed with the NJ and other influx of minorities. I have a ton of friends that are minorities, but I just never experienced being in what I experience an almost "minority" position as a caucasion...and I can't speak an ounce of Spanish. Since I am not a young party hardy lady, and have young son as my first priority, living in such communiteis isn't a priority for me. Safe, family environements are.

It is expensive as hell...but you can buy a little fixer upper home in these nice areas in the 300's.

Any growing up experiences in any of these towns any one could share. I would see much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Nancy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM

128 posts, read 301,349 times
Hi, Nancy. I live on the mainland side of the Indian River. The beach communities are very laid back and, probably overall younger than many other areas. Satellite Beach and Cocoa Beach are closer to the Cape than the others you mentioned. Don't forget in Melbourne we also have Grumman/GE and Harris Corps as well as many smaller tech companies, so you are not limited for employment. You should be able to find a home in the price range you mentioned, especially in the county area between Indialantic and Indian Harbour. Even on the mainland side, you're not but a couple of miles from the beach. You can check out the MLS for Brevard county to look for homes.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:04 PM

317 posts, read 1,166,238 times
thanks Zee for the info on Melbourne. What's the difference between Melbourne Beach and Melbourne proper? How would you differentiate Melbourne Beach from Satellite Beach?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:32 PM

17 posts, read 64,725 times
Default Satellite Beach

I was just reading ur post & just want to say I have just inherited a home in Satellite Beach, and I have been down there twice just this year for a couple of months each time , & I LOVE IT!!!! I am currently living in NJ & my hubby & I have decided to go for it get away from all the snow,cold etc. as so many other peeps you read about on these forums , so we decided to put our home on the market (this thursday ) and we are looking forward to moving to flordia. I love the beaches, weather, neighbors, and the fact that everything is like so easily located near me stores,pharmacies and oh yeah how can you miss "walmart" LOL
I enjoy reading all these post on these forums they are very interesting and helpful. I have been reading them for quite awhile as I am researching all the things I will have to know about the. Well good luck to ya. Marilyn

Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM

504 posts, read 1,694,220 times
Wait until you get your insurance and tax bill for next year, do not be fooled by the previous owners tax, make sure your realtor lets you know how much your tax will be next year, beach side insurance for small condo near the water will cost at least 700.00 a month. This area of Florida is going crazy with growth, up until five years ago it was a wonderful place to live where you could see the beach and not worry about being runover.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 AM

128 posts, read 301,349 times
Melbourne is on the mainland side and is one of the dominant business/employment areas in south Brevard (along with Palm Bay). Melbourne Beach is a bedroom community on the barrier island. Melbourne Beach is definitely more expense, smaller, cliqueier. The two are divided by the Indian River (and income level).

Satellite Beach is immediately south of Patrick AFB and is younger and "more energetic" for lack of better terminology.

All the communities you mentioned in your original post are on the barrier island and more subject to evacuation in severe weather and subject to higher insurance rates. None of this area is really remote from one another. In fact, if you didn't see a city limits sign on the side of the road, you wouldn't know you'd travelled from one town to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County