U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,682,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara12 View Post
Moved here from New England 15 years ago because of job change.
Dont let anybody fool ya,the heat and humidity is terrible from June to early October and the beaches are a no-no since it is hotter there and the water temp is mostly 80-84 degrees.(bathtub),nighttime temps are always in upper 70's.
A/C is a way of life in Florida,the rest of the year is great,weather wise.
I will stick with.....it is usually cooler at the beach. There is usually a breeze when down by the water and when the sun feels too hot you just walk or play in the water for a while and it cools you down. Love to sit on a deck and enjoy the breeze, watch the waves and enjoy cooler temps in the evening on the beach.
Going to a theme park during the summer is definitely unbearable on all that concrete but walking miles and miles on the beach on a regular basis is our favorite thing to do.
Unlike swimming pool water, water temps in the 80s still feels cool in the ocean because it is cooler than the air temp by 10-15 degrees and often there are upsweeps of cooler waters from the deep that surface and can actually feel chilly in the summers.
Air conditioning is a blessing though. Lived here from 1976-1985 in a house without air or heat and we managed to get along with out it, though. We kept windows and doors open 24/7 and had window fans bringing in cool air over the pool. Sometimes even had to turn off fans at night even in the summer. Of course being beach type people we spent a lot of days at the beach. In the winter we would open the windows by 9AM to start heating the house with sunlight. LOL
After Hurricane Jeanne the heat was bad when we had no electricity for 3 weeks. LOL We slept on the patio, then. And took a lot of cold showers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM

65 posts, read 229,544 times
Default Jelly fish and sink holes

Thanks for all the information everyone.

In regard to swimming at the beaches in Melbourne, are jelly fish ect a constant threat so that you can't relax and have a swim or are there some months you don't have to worry about it? Are there someplaces to swim where there aren't any? I really love swimming in the ocean as opposed to pools...bit of a mermaid. I know when we lived in Townsville QLD in Australia jelly fish were all over the water and they had a jelly fish netted area you could swim in.

Also, is it better to rent on say Satellite Beach to be able to do things in the evenings? I have heard that you can't really get out in the evenings due to the mosquitos being so bad. I've seen gated communities that have lakes....would the mosquitos be worse there? And are there certain parts of the year where you don't have to worry about them as much? In Kansas, my poor son Nic used to get eaten up by them so much he had bites all over him and was just miserable.

I have heard someone say also that if you live beachside there isn't alot of problems with them. We are considering Viera or Suntree or Satellite Beach maybe as possible areas to rent in until we can find a place to buy.

I must say I do like that fact that on some of the rentals that I have seen that the landlord takes care of the pool maintenance and the lawn.

I know no place is perfect to live, and there will be some things we don't like (probably the humidity) but no state or country is a perfect place to live I guess.

In saying that here where we live at in Perth, the average house cost $470,000 to $500,000. The rentals go for $1800 a month just for a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse, it costs over $100 for 3 people to eat as say a place like Sizzlers (its $32 a plate), mascara is $12, eggs are $4.95 a carton, fuel is $6 a gallon. While we are on a really good wage here..things are so expensive that we might as well be poor. Really sick of paying such high prices for things and feeling guilty just for going out to dinner. I'd honestly take a "trailer by the sea" and put my excess money in a bank! :-) Here is a house that is for sale in my area in case anyone wanted to see what properties in Western Australia go for:

34 Woodstock Way Butler WA 6036 - House for Sale #114654219 - realestate.com.au

This is about a mile from the beach. If you want to live the beach here about a block or two away...this is what you would pay:

18 Jindalee Boulevard Jindalee WA 6036 - House for Sale #107943701 - realestate.com.au

See where I'm coming from? 15 years ago these houses would have sold for around $250,000 but the property prices here have just boomed...and made it impossible for people with middle incomes to ever own a property. I don't know about you...but the thought of paying $2600 a month for a mortgage is just downright scary...especially when you are 3 years from 50.

I've owned two houses in my life and both have been in Kansas....paid $70,000 for each of them..both were 2 storey older homes.....but they were mine. People here don't flinch at paying the above prices...but even with a salary of over $100,000...I would never pay that price. We grew up poor in our family (7 kids) so I'm probably about the biggest skinflint there is.

I'm just trying to find a place to live that has affordable housing, has good schools, is by a beach, and where there are things to do....Melbourne, FL seems like a good a place as any.....but those sinkholes do have me worried! LOL :-)

Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,682,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellainoz67 View Post
Thanks for all the information everyone.

In regard to swimming at the beaches in Melbourne, are jelly fish ect a constant threat so that you can't relax and have a swim or are there some months you don't have to worry about it? Are there someplaces to swim where there aren't any? I really love swimming in the ocean as opposed to pools...bit of a mermaid. I know when we lived in Townsville QLD in Australia jelly fish were all over the water and they had a jelly fish netted area you could swim in.

Jelly fish usually not a problem but come in when the wind is from the East. No nets to keep them away from beach . about the worst kind that comes in are the Portugese-man-o-war. We don't have the kind that kill like Australian waters do.

Also, is it better to rent on say Satellite Beach to be able to do things in the evenings? I have heard that you can't really get out in the evenings due to the mosquitos being so bad. I've seen gated communities that have lakes....would the mosquitos be worse there? And are there certain parts of the year where you don't have to worry about them as much? In Kansas, my poor son Nic used to get eaten up by them so much he had bites all over him and was just miserable.

I have heard someone say also that if you live beachside there isn't alot of problems with them. We are considering Viera or Suntree or Satellite Beach maybe as possible areas to rent in until we can find a place to buy.

Most towns spray for mosquitos so not too much of a problem. Beachside do seem to have less because of the breeze. Most homes have screened patios and pools so that helps. When you know you will be out, just put some repellant on. Haven't gotten a mosquito bite in years.

I must say I do like that fact that on some of the rentals that I have seen that the landlord takes care of the pool maintenance and the lawn.

I know no place is perfect to live, and there will be some things we don't like (probably the humidity) but no state or country is a perfect place to live I guess.

In saying that here where we live at in Perth, the average house cost $470,000 to $500,000. The rentals go for $1800 a month just for a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse, it costs over $100 for 3 people to eat as say a place like Sizzlers (its $32 a plate), mascara is $12, eggs are $4.95 a carton, fuel is $6 a gallon. While we are on a really good wage here..things are so expensive that we might as well be poor. Really sick of paying such high prices for things and feeling guilty just for going out to dinner. I'd honestly take a "trailer by the sea" and put my excess money in a bank! :-) Here is a house that is for sale in my area in case anyone wanted to see what properties in Western Australia go for:

34 Woodstock Way Butler WA 6036 - House for Sale #114654219 - realestate.com.au

This is about a mile from the beach. If you want to live the beach here about a block or two away...this is what you would pay:

18 Jindalee Boulevard Jindalee WA 6036 - House for Sale #107943701 - realestate.com.au

See where I'm coming from? 15 years ago these houses would have sold for around $250,000 but the property prices here have just boomed...and made it impossible for people with middle incomes to ever own a property. I don't know about you...but the thought of paying $2600 a month for a mortgage is just downright scary...especially when you are 3 years from 50.

I've owned two houses in my life and both have been in Kansas....paid $70,000 for each of them..both were 2 storey older homes.....but they were mine. People here don't flinch at paying the above prices...but even with a salary of over $100,000...I would never pay that price. We grew up poor in our family (7 kids) so I'm probably about the biggest skinflint there is.

I'm just trying to find a place to live that has affordable housing, has good schools, is by a beach, and where there are things to do....Melbourne, FL seems like a good a place as any.....but those sinkholes do have me worried! LOL :-)
We don't really get sinkholes here on this coast. I suppose it would be possible so I carry the insurance, but it seems to be more a central Florida problem because of the underground aquafers.
Housing prices are starting to go up here. You can sstill get some good buys, but usually under $400,000 on beachside means an older, probably needing remodeling home on a small lot. Even here on the mainland our home we bought in 2010 has ended up costing about twice what we paid for it in updating and upgrades.(our choice of course) It cost us almost $10,000 just to put in city water and get yard in descent shape. 3 years later and we still have the outside siding and doors to work on so probably another $10,000 to go.
Just heard flood insurance is going to sky rocket and to maybe even cost $10,000 if living on the beach or along the river. There was an article in the paper yesterday about a couple who just bought a house they could afford, but now wondering if flood insurance is going to make it too expensive for them to own on the water.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Yep, I have heard about the rise in the insurance....that is a worry. I would faint dead away if I had to pay $10,000 a year for it. That would be a nasty shock for sure. Thanks for the tip and I will definitely put that on my list of questions to ask before we buy a home. Would home insurance be lower than in the Viera and Suntree areas then as they are not "on the beach" per say. We have found some pretty nice homes in these suburbs for around $250,000 or so...and the schools are near "10" which is great as I want my 10 year old son to have a great experience at school for year 6. I'm homeschooling him at the moment. We really like this house that is for sale:

564 Lake Victoria Cir, Melbourne FL 32940 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Homes

It seems like a pretty good buy. Regarding the jelly fish in the ocean there, are they there at Melbourne Beach in the water all the time so you have to constantly keep watch swimming....or is it only certain months?

Also, are mosquitos worse in suburbs like Suntree and Viera that have houses with lakes surrounding them? I do like to walk so don't want to have to keep swatting mosquitos away...although as you were saying...walking on the beach might be the answer. :-)

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM

24 posts, read 82,464 times
Looking to move to Melbourne does anyone know of any good pain medicine drs there, thank you.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM

151 posts, read 264,684 times
Quote:
Yep, I have heard about the rise in the insurance....that is a worry. I would faint dead away if I had to pay $10,000 a year for it. That would be a nasty shock for sure. Thanks for the tip and I will definitely put that on my list of questions to ask before we buy a home. Would home insurance be lower than in the Viera and Suntree areas then as they are not "on the beach" per say. We have found some pretty nice homes in these suburbs for around $250,000 or so...and the schools are near "10" which is great as I want my 10 year old son to have a great experience at school for year 6. I'm homeschooling him at the moment. We really like this house that is for sale:

564 Lake Victoria Cir, Melbourne FL 32940 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Homes

It seems like a pretty good buy. Regarding the jelly fish in the ocean there, are they there at Melbourne Beach in the water all the time so you have to constantly keep watch swimming....or is it only certain months?

Also, are mosquitos worse in suburbs like Suntree and Viera that have houses with lakes surrounding them? I do like to walk so don't want to have to keep swatting mosquitos away...although as you were saying...walking on the beach might be the answer. :-)
Curious about the mosquitos as well...

Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 AM

232 posts, read 327,817 times
We moved to Kissimmee from Southern California last September, and take possession of our new home on Merritt Island at the end of this month. From what we saw last fall (when it was still quite warm), mosquitos were not too much of an issue, and not an issue at all during the winter months. Of course, that's Kissimmee, not Brevard County... so that remains to be seen for us. Mosquito Hint: If they're around, tuck a fabric softener sheet in a shirt or pants pocket, and they'll avoid you like the plague.

Jelly fish: We spent a week in September on Cocoa Beach, and did see a number of jelly fish in the water and washed up on the shore. Here is a good article (with pictures) on Florida's jelly fish. We saw the Moon Jellyfish more than any other in Cocoa Beach, and they're generally harmless. As stated in other articles, if you see the Portuguese Man 'o War on the beach, stay out of the water.

Humidity: We're from an area of Southern California that's considered "bone dry", so the humidity is something of an issue. We're told we'll get used to it, but only time will tell. As others have said, A/C is your friend. We found that a daytime setting of around 78F makes the house quite comfortable. At night we turn it down to 74 or so.

If the humidity bothers you and you need to go outside, do it in the early morning/evening, and you should be fine. Wear light clothing that breathes, and try to avoid synthetics (i.e., polyester, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the tips re the humidity. I remember pit stopping in Hilo, HI for 3 days when I thought I wanted to live there. I just about died from how oppressive the air was there...it was like you couldn't breathe. Is Melbourne, FL like that? I am hoping not. And if so, are there months when it is not oppressive like winter?

I don't mind living in a place that's humid if I can get a break from it. It is so dry here in Perth Western Australia. You wake up in the morning gulping water down like no tomorrow....LOL. Don't get me wrong...it's beautiful....but just so terribly dry all the time. You can't really walk outside during the day in summer as the flies try to get into your nose and mouth...just gross and very irritating for sure. You will see people waving branches in front of their faces as they walk..just to try to get them to stay away.

We are looking in the Viera area in Melbourne, FL as the houses seem new and nice. Renting at first and will probably buy after a year if we find we really like it there. I'm hoping it will be great as I've been moving around for the last 17 years and just ready to find some place and settle. I'm not into big cities or really really small towns...Melbourne, FL seems to be in the middle. There seems to be things going on there to do without the crime, traffic ect. Plus it is close to the cruise lines. Never been on a cruise so really looking forward to that. I was going to move to Georgia but after seeing that ice storm.....put me right off. I'm too used to living by the beach and having hot/mild weather here....spoiled I guess. :-)

Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 PM

29 posts, read 55,689 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips re the humidity. I remember pit stopping in Hilo, HI for 3 days when I thought I wanted to live there. I just about died from how oppressive the air was there...it was like you couldn't breathe. Is Melbourne, FL like that? I am hoping not. And if so, are there months when it is not oppressive like winter?

I don't mind living in a place that's humid if I can get a break from it. It is so dry here in Perth Western Australia. You wake up in the morning gulping water down like no tomorrow....LOL. Don't get me wrong...it's beautiful....but just so terribly dry all the time. You can't really walk outside during the day in summer as the flies try to get into your nose and mouth...just gross and very irritating for sure. You will see people waving branches in front of their faces as they walk..just to try to get them to stay away.

We are looking in the Viera area in Melbourne, FL as the houses seem new and nice. Renting at first and will probably buy after a year if we find we really like it there. I'm hoping it will be great as I've been moving around for the last 17 years and just ready to find some place and settle. I'm not into big cities or really really small towns...Melbourne, FL seems to be in the middle. There seems to be things going on there to do without the crime, traffic ect. Plus it is close to the cruise lines. Never been on a cruise so really looking forward to that. I was going to move to Georgia but after seeing that ice storm.....put me right off. I'm too used to living by the beach and having hot/mild weather here....spoiled I guess. :-)
Here, anywhere from mid-late October can be very nice, temps usually in the 70s and low 80s between then and late march, Humidity can be high in winter as well, but the temps aren't as brutal either and we have occasional cold fronts that may drop temps into the 60s in the day and 40s at night but only for a couple days at a time.

Summer temps are usually in the low 90s and upper 80s but way cooler than further inland and definitely than Georgia, but our low temps are also higher being more near to the water, i got home late at night about 1:00 am and it was 81F outside still.

Bugs aren't as much of an issue as northerners make them to be, Populated areas get sprayed for mosquitoes, you will see the trucks go down streets with sprayers but otherwise most homes especially in viera have screened enclosures.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,004 times
Try the West Melbourne area zip code 32904 for a peaceful community. Greenwood Manor condominium association is particularly safe area to live or rent - gated community, well equipped clubhouse and outdoor pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County